Whats the most revolutionary UTV ever built?

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
I could stare at Conerys Sr1 Desert car all day. Nothing cookie cutter about it. I like what he did with the new suspension design. I'd bet that car will break the top 10 before seasons end. Great call on Millens car. That car is a work of art

Reactions: JoeyD23

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
grindingstone gp dec 2010 Teryx 003.jpg This car has many firsts built in 2008 and still has race car design that most still dont use.
1. Wheelbase was extended 8 inches using stock frame and pick up points for the a arms.
2. Large body long travel shocks mounted to the lower arms
3. TT style front steer with all uniball and heims on front suspension
4. Differentials moved to keep cv angles correct
5. Midboard rear hubs with outboard brakes
6. Aftermarket engine management with WiFi programming and Racepak dash
7. True race car triangulated chassis design

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
The original monstermav. Totally outside of the box thinking. Light truck shocks, full one off custom chromo a arms all around, stretching the car over 8" and widening the car over 10". IMHO a true trendsetting car that raised the utv bar. It took a year to get it sorted out but when Reid and Marc hit the combo, it was magical

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
I agree with the above. Marc's monstermav was a big heavy log truck. It was 2300lbs and full throttle would only do 66mph but it would do 66 in the straights and around corners and thru whoops and everywhere else. He drove it flat out and it was so well balanced and jumped so well it was pretty magical. I spent a few hundred miles in the drivers seat of that car. And I can say without a doubt that there's nothing that quite felt like that thing. These newer cars with longer wheel base can take the whoops a bit faster but in all around characteristics the monstermav was as legit as they come and tough as nails.

Redlands is super nice. Balanced well. Built well. It's clear they engineered everything because of the fit and finish and handling it's all around a remarkable car.

The original jimco build for terrabit and Wayne has tons of tricks. Lots of stuff carried over from the trucks that most of you have never seen and won't pick up on. Things that make it pretty freakin awesome. It's balanced. It jumps well. It turns well. It's comfortable and it wins races.

Another car most of you haven't seen yet but I believe by far has changed the game for short course and cross country racing, he's still sorting it out. Cody Taylor of S3 racing built his own car, a turbo maverick with his own suspension and steering system he designed the whole thing in solid works. Lowered everything. Rebuilt everything. Built it and assembled it on a set of corner scales and moved everything around to get a perfect weight bias and balance. Crazy things like moving the fuel tank over 1" and forward 3" and moving the intercooler to the farthest most passenger side at the B pillar. Moving himself forward 6 inches and down 9inches. Everything was moved and built and positioned for perfect weight balance. the motor and trans are moved, suspension set up to get the perfect balance as well. on the corner scales there isnt a 5lb difference between all 4 wheels. its pretty awesome. and it handles like nothing i have ever driven. literally mind blowing fast around turns and thru jumps and table tops. its glued to the ground you can take a 180 degree turn as hard and fast as you are willing to try it. the harder you push it, the more it handles. i dont have a Gmeter i can mount in the cab of a UTV i have one in my race truck so i am familar with watching side load Gs, but i bet that thing will pull well over 1G in a turn. This is a short clip DWT put together showcasing a race that was this machines second race still dialing in the suspension but you can see 3 short clips of it and it hangs a turn flat and fast regardless of how hard you come into a corner or how much throttle you have. its crazy low to the ground but it flat out works. mind blowingly fast.

Reactions: mearsman

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
The original monstermav. Totally outside of the box thinking. Light truck shocks, full one off custom chromo a arms all around, stretching the car over 8" and widening the car over 10". IMHO a true trendsetting car that raised the utv bar. It took a year to get it sorted out but when Reid and Marc hit the combo, it was magical
You just described my Teryx. Haha. I was going to bring this car up as well since so few actually re engineer factory deficiencies that are exaggerated by aftermarket bolt on suspension.

Last edited:

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
This Arctic Cat built by Smitty at Finishline Racing used a 16 inch travel rear shock and 12 inch front and was an absolute whoop eater. It also had Pro Am brakes that would throw you through the windshield and were very confidence inspiring. Unfortunately the car was always in limp mode and the race program was dumped after 1 year.20130528_091247.jpg

Reactions: Rusty5150

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
This Dragonfire production Nessy car was back halfed by Smitty at Finishline and switched over to a C1 style trailing arm setup. A Yamaha 4cyl snow mobile motor was installed and in 2012 it dominated Baja winning the 500 by 3 hours and the 1000 by 8 hours. It never had any break downs other than the occasional flat and the owners lost interest afterwards and I have know idea what happened to the car0602121042.jpg

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
I'm going to have to throw in my first SR1....that Rhino spawned a whole new class in UTV racing back in 2010 that is still growing strong today!

Reactions: JoeyD23

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
What's funny is the UTV behind it has the coil-pass shocks on it.
Yep, they were mounted on the upper arm and stuck out through the hood about a foot, almost right in your line of vision. That might be the most revolutionary build yet!

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Hey Joey, Do you have any pics of that Rhino with the custom body and the motor that was moved forward and turned around?

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Yep, they were mounted on the upper arm and stuck out through the hood about a foot, almost right in your line of vision. That might be the most revolutionary build yet!
Even my rhino had coil passes under the hood on the lower arm

Reactions: tatum

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000