What Toy Hauler can I pull?

kredo

Dec 1, 2011
I just bought a Tundra with the 5.7l V8... next year around tax time I will be getting a Toy Hauler. I am wanting a front sleeper and have been thinking I should go no bigger then a 23ft. I would also like to eventually get a side-by-side of some sort too.

Can I fit a side-by-side and a small quad in a 23ft front sleeper? I could also put a bike in the bed if I had to.

Thanks..

BrianAshby1

SilverBulletXP4 Sucka!
Feb 22, 2009
Menifee, CA
Refer to the owners manual or your vehicle for its towing capabilities, if you don't have an owners manual I'm sure you can google it online

Also don't exceed the weights your hitch and receiver are limited to. Also pulling loads like that with a 1/2 ton make sure you get weight distribution hitch.

As far as what fits in what, trailers vary in cargo room, but generically speaking I think a UTV in a 23 would be a little tight, not room for much more

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Thats still rated as a 1/2 ton... I would go no bigger than a 23'. Some will say you can go 26 or 30 but it will be a turd loaded down and open you up to a can of worms if you get into an accident and the truck doesn't meet the required specs. There are several 23' trailers I have been in that will fit both a sxs and quad, but You may want to look at a front bath or front kitchen as sxs's keep getting bigger. I have a 2007 23' Fleetwod Nitrous front sleeper I pulled the first year with a 2005 Silverado. The experience sucked. The next year I picked up a 2500 with a Duramax and the towing experience is great now. Problem is I did a front sleeper and now only a Rhino or my RZR-S will fit plus a bike. So a new XP, Wildcat or Commander is out. With a front bath or kitchen I would be golden. There are some sweet new 23' models out with floor plans that did not exist a few years ago. You can surely find one that will fit your needs and keep you legal.

Heres a 23.6' that will fit a sxs and quad.... http://www.mikethompson.com/inventory/2012-keystone-energy/nr12006

Last edited:

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
I had a 2009 Tundra and loved it! At the time I was towing a 20' Stealth with a RZR in the back and was running just under 8,000 lbs full of water. It towed great and had tons of power and torque. I also towed my new 34' Raptor with the Tundra, it's 1150 lbs on the tongue and about 12,000 lbs loaded. Again the Tundra did awesome but after talking with the Insurance Co. they said I would not be covered in the event of an accident due to the fact that I was over the towing capacity of the truck:( So that's when I sold the Tundra and bought a Ram 3500 Turbo Deisel 4X4:D. The Tundra is a great truck and will do most anything you ask it too but I would buy something that when fully loaded, you're no more than 10,000 lbs.
Your best bet is to start visiting different RV dealers and look at the weights and layouts to see what's gonna best fit your needs.
Buy the biggest Toy Hauler you can afford and safely tow! And no matter what you buy, you will need more space and want a bigger one:D
Hope this helped!

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Stick with no more then 24 foot trailer. When you get into a longer trailer it gets sketchy towing and the weight adds up quickly.

I currently tow with a F150 with the ecoboost motor. It tows my 24 foot ragen with a rhino, yfz450 and a little kid quad no problem.

The tundra is a beast and tows very well.

mc93yj

Mar 29, 2010
hobart indiana
I have a 30 ft funfinder xterra with a 9 ft garage and slide out it only weighs 5500.loaded with rzr water and odd and ends it's 7500 and I have a 2010 f150 and it pulls fine.just look for 1/2 ton towable trailers and you should be fine.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
just about all 1500 series trucks are rated for 10k towing and 600-700lbs tounge weight but you never want to load to the max. if you go with a trailer with a empty gvw around 5k max you should be fine fully loaded. my buddy with his tundra tows a 30ft flat bed trailer with a 1500 single cab desert truck a quad and a couple bikes and a camper on the bed.

steino411

American Pride
Jan 3, 2011
San Diego
I had a 2009 Tundra and loved it! At the time I was towing a 20' Stealth with a RZR in the back and was running just under 8,000 lbs full of water. It towed great and had tons of power and torque. I also towed my new 34' Raptor with the Tundra, it's 1150 lbs on the tongue and about 12,000 lbs loaded. Again the Tundra did awesome but after talking with the Insurance Co. they said I would not be covered in the event of an accident due to the fact that I was over the towing capacity of the truck:( So that's when I sold the Tundra and bought a Ram 3500 Turbo Deisel 4X4:D. The Tundra is a great truck and will do most anything you ask it too but I would buy something that when fully loaded, you're no more than 10,000 lbs.
Your best bet is to start visiting different RV dealers and look at the weights and layouts to see what's gonna best fit your needs.
Buy the biggest Toy Hauler you can afford and safely tow! And no matter what you buy, you will need more space and want a bigger one:D
Hope this helped!
WoW!! 12,000 lbs trailer with the Tundra...Im impressed! I thought my 3500 Duramax struggled a bit with my 28' WW on some of the hills, and I also ran 40-50 lbs of air in the bags.

kredo

Dec 1, 2011
I forgot I should've mentioned in my first post that I currently have air bags and will have a wdh, stabalizer bars, and brake controller when I do purchase a trailer.

I was more in questioning of what people currently have. I am going to be buying private party.I am hoping that I can find a deal where somebody is parting with trailer with all hitch parts too.

I don't mind too much by getting a 23' and only having the rzr fit because I often travel with others with trailers that can haul what I can't fit.

I understand that with a front sleeper you loose out on room but that's what I am willing to sacrifice at the moment with my current transportation setup. I want to be legal and have my family safe when we're traveling on the highway so I don't plan on buying a toy hauler that's way too big for my truck.

Thanks for everybodies help---- want to hear more about peoples experiences and especially if what other Tundra owners tow.

clayrog27

Jul 16, 2011
I will be buying a bigger trailer next year. Have a 21' toyhauler I bought when I had my 4X4 Yukon. Now with the tundra I am looking for a 24-27' trailer 28' looks a little to heavy. Just my .02

chupa cabra

Jul 14, 2011
Highland CA
I own a truck repair shop and have seen the issues caused by overloading. STAY WITHIN THE MANUFACTURERS RATED TOW CAPACITIES !!!!! what ever you get. They put those numbers there for reasons, safety, longevity, etc.

kredo

Dec 1, 2011
I own a truck repair shop and have seen the issues caused by overloading. STAY WITHIN THE MANUFACTURERS RATED TOW CAPACITIES !!!!! what ever you get. They put those numbers there for reasons, safety, longevity, etc.
I definetly want to do it safe and don't want to ruin my truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000