All UTV's What is the Best High Performance, NON-Turbo, 4 Seat UTV? (your opinion)

Joe13

Sep 17, 2016
Priorities, in order, being:

1.) Reliability
2.) Ease of maintenance
3.) All around ability (dune and trail, priority dune)
4.) Accessory availability
5.) Resale
6.) Dealer support
7.) Performance

Any and all insight, opinions, experience, etc. are welcomed....

Joe13

Sep 17, 2016
1 and 2 Kawasaki Teryx

3 - 7 NA XP4
Hey Thanks!

You have quite a machine there, so maybe you could give me some input on what’s the best high performance exhaust system and entry level shock absorber upgrade you think would work best on a Teryx 4, for the dunes? Kawi is having a nice rebate, so there’s a little room to do a few bolt on mods, if it’s really worth it.

My thought is maybe a slightly modded Teryx 4, can get a little closer to the “best of both worlds” (performance and reliability), without going overboard on the money?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
As much as I love the Teryx I dont think I would put it in the high performance catagory without serious modifications. Polaris set the bar on high performance but needs to work on fit and finish. I would wait for 4 seat X3. I think the fact you can purchase one with the wider track width from the factory is a huge plus, especially for duner,desert,short course guy like myself.

Reactions: Joe13

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I would take the t-4 out of the equation if the dunes is the priority.

The XP1000 fits all you needs. You can get smoking deals on 2016 non-turbo XPs. I believe there is a $3,000 rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe13

Sep 17, 2016
You guys are great!

(Just used the lowest priced color / model for comparison)

RZR® 4 900 EPS - $17,299

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-side-by-side/2016/rzr-4-900-eps-blue-fire/offers

RZR XP® 4 1000 EPS - $20,299

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-side-by-side/2016/rzr-xp-4-1000-eps-electric-blue-metallic/offers

The 1000 has 110 hp, the 900 has 75...

You can (basically) not make the 900 equal the 1000 (within the constraints well spent money), but...

Does the 900’s much milder state of tune give it the advantages of a broader power band, cooler running and greater reliability? (aside from being $3000 less than the 1000)

(Either one will still eventually end up with an entry level shock absorber upgrade and a good high performance exhaust system)

Corrections, comments, input, ideas? Any guidance is welcomed.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
The 900 with 4 people in it will get you around the dunes, but you will be flogging it a lot to do it. The shorter wheelbase and width will have you bouncing around as well.

For a non-turbo 4 seater for all around the XP1000 is hard to beat and if you can get one at 20,000 or less OTD even better.

RWTDCT

Its an RZR Thing - La Familia
Jun 13, 2013
Central Coast, Ca. (Paso)
The 900 with 4 people in it will get you around the dunes, but you will be flogging it a lot to do it. The shorter wheelbase and width will have you bouncing around as well.

For a non-turbo 4 seater for all around the XP1000 is hard to beat and if you can get one at 20,000 or less OTD even better.
X2
Don't beat yourself up in 6 months over a 900. There is some good sales out there right now on the XP4 1000. Now if you had an open end budget, I would go a different route.

Good Luck

Joe13

Sep 17, 2016
You guys are very helpful, thanks again to all!

Not to toss a fly into the ointment, but in spending $20K, it’s always good to at least give other possibilities a good look. Even if just to know, all other alternatives where thoroughly explored.

Do either of these two have any advantages, that might be worth considering?...

http://www.arcticcat.com/dirt/side-by-sides/model/2017-en-wildcat-4x/

http://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side-by-side/maverick/maverick-max-dps.html

Sometimes, when a major manufacturer is trying to overtake a leader, they actually do.

RWTDCT

Its an RZR Thing - La Familia
Jun 13, 2013
Central Coast, Ca. (Paso)
You are doing it the right way, you have to do your research. Most all of us that have already purchase went through what your are going through now. You will see different opinions amongst us.

My opinion for all around riding, dunes, desert, rocks & trail $20,000 range get the XP 1000 or XP4 1000.
If there is a way for you to test ride different rigs I recommend it. This way you get a feel for what you want.

Reactions: Joe13 and Simi Dude

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
the arctic cat wildcat is an amazing machine for desert and rocks. they have the best 4wd system on the market hands down. with the selectable locker you can crawl and do things that would seem impossible with some of the others in your selection. however, the arctic cat is as long as a 16ft trailer. its a big dude. its got quick ratio knuckles so it turns just as sharp as a 2 seater but its still long. it will take whoops and bumps and things better than you can imagine. off camber stuff it soaks up and you will fall in love with its suspension. BUT its clutch is one of the worst on the market. it upshifts too fast and bogs the motor down. everyone things its low on power. its actually quite powerful and fast, but the clutch bogs down in the sand so it feels like you have to beat on it to make it go anywhere in the sand. this results in blown belts to which you will get tired of pretty quickly. if you ever do land it on the rear tires under full throttle you will snap the rear driveshaft. its smart to keep an extra one or three in the glove box. i love the 4 seat arctic cat for how well it handles and what kinda crap it will take. however, it will likely eat a few starters and other miscellaneous things. advantage- they ride better than any machine on the market, they are stable you almost cant get it out of shape even driving like a clown. the seating position isnt the most fun to get down into if you have bad knees of back but once you are in it you are comfortable. suspension suspension its the best there is and the running gear is relatively reliable. it will climb a brick wall up the side of a house. cons-they arent the staple for reliability and their sorry ass clutch makes it feel weak even though the motor has plenty of power.

the maverick is another capable machine. their wheelbase and suspension work well together. however their clutch IS the crappiest on the market. you need to spend at least $1500 right out the gate to make it worth driving otherwise you will blow belts faster than you can change them in the dunes. you will hate the machine with all its worth if you dont fix the clutch the day you get it. other than the clutch, a mav max is a pretty reliable machine. the mavericks have good power and are pretty heavily built. the suspension is relatively beefy. the trans and driveline is pretty much worry free. they ride comfortable and sit nicely. they arent a bad option for cruising and having fun but if you really wanna blast full throttle in the open desert you will end up with the rear kicking up a lot. the maverick is a pretty durable machine with very little mechanical issues. except the clutch, replace it day one or you will hate the machine. advantages - they are powerful and relatively reliable with most everything on the machine being over-built, they ride nice and feel good cons- the clutch is garbage and needs to be replaced before you take your first ride and its a bear to work on.

the RZR is most everyones choice because you can get them easily, relatively cheaply, they work well in almost all conditions and there are more accessories for them than you can imagine. the RZR is geared low so it will crawl easily, the large diameter clutches work well together in stock form. the power is nice. its a well rounded machine that works as it was intended. they ride good. they take dunes well. they work in the desert well. however they are probably the low man on the totem pole for reliability. everything wears out. the hub and spindle bearings wear out constantly. like every few rides. the clutches are worse than brake pads they wear out fast. you are lucky to get 1000 miles out of them before you have to completely replace one or both. the driveline wears out, the motor mount and trans mount is crap the engine and trans alignment constantly moves around putting the clutches out of alignment. everything is easy to work on luckily. but you need to pretty much become a mechanic and learn the RZR or be prepared to have crap wear out and take it to the dealer constantly to keep it mechanically sound. you will hear great things about them, guys who have 2000 miles on them with no issues. there are unicorns and they are a well rounded machine honestly. but they wear out. the vast majority of the things that wear out on the RZR you would not expect to nor assume you need to rebuild half the parts on the machine every 1000 miles. advantage, they work well, ride nice, they are easy to work on, they are fun and super accessible and have tons of available accessories. cons-they wear out fast and take a fair amount of maintence to keep them running in tip top shape

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Airdam I think you might be seeing to many race UTVs and guys that play in the mud and wet conditions.

In the desert and dunes the XP1000 is very durable. 3300 miles and no hubs, clutches, bearings or any wear items. Ride with several and none have needed half of it to be rebuild every 1000 miles. Lol!

To the OP - the wildcat X 4 seater rides great. It is under powered, but it will get to you where you need to go. I ride with a few in the dunes.

The Maverick Max needs clutch work and it is still a belt eater in the dunes. They do not ride as nice as the wildcat or xp1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Joe13 and Simi Dude

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i just had a guy call me yesterday, rides at buttercup. thats it. he spends his winter months camped in Yuma (snowbird) and goes to buttercup all the time. 1500 miles and hes on his 4th primary. he bought a new primary and secondary performance setup from Imperial Valley cycle last season and got 200 miles on it before it wore the rollers out of the spyder. 4 primary clutches. 2 secondary clutches. every primary wears the rollers out and the weights flip under the roller at top speed. they have to take a screwdriver and flip them back in to keep riding. this is a 70 year old man looking for a fix. the same issue i see every day. i rebuild 5 polaris primary clutches a week all with the same issue. no mud. no race. guys in the desert and dunes. its the engine harmonics that wear them out. thats why the 900 WILL last longer because the engine has less stroke and doesnt have as bad of engine harmonics. yes these same problems are apparent on race machines but these are regular joes i am talking about. just normal guys.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Wow is all I can say. Do these people not blow out the clutch area and inspect on a regular basis? Or do they have clutch kits?

By the way I ride with a gentleman that is over 70 years old and he has a Wildcat X. He is no pussyfoot and drives the crap out of is Wilcat. Just because he your customer is 70 does not mean he is not thrashing on his ride. LOL!

Maybe myself and the many people I ride with are just lucky or we take care of our rides a little better than some.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
that guy that called me yesteday has never done anything but stock. hes been getting warranty to replace them but has bought his 2nd primary outta warranty and just called me looking for a fix before this dune season. this happens more than you think. or you are lucky and dont realize how bad yours is worn out. the clutch wears out on every machine. typically 500-1000 miles is all a primary is going to give. doesnt matter if its mud or dunes or trails. you may get lucky and get a few more miles out of it but its going to be worn slap out. 3000 miles on a machine and never touched the priamry only means one thing to me. its past worn out and you are lucky. like i said, there are unicorns, but the vast majority of them wont last that kinda mileage without a single issue.

Joe13

Sep 17, 2016
What do you guys think of a Teryx4 800 w/ full high performance exhaust system?

Any suggestions for brands?

How much “real world” power increase would a setup like this provide?...

https://www.trinityracing.com/trdisplay.php?id=4841

It still won’t get close to the Polaris, Can-Am or Arctic Cat 1000s in performance, but with $3,000 to $4,000 total price difference, more manageable maintenance and more convenient size... w/ full high performance exhaust system, could it be a contender, if all those aspects were also factored in?

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
anybody that owns one and tried to work on the fuel system or the clutch can tell you. you basically almost have to cut the frame to get the dam clutch out of it. they suck so bad. if you blew a belt in one you can hang up the weekend its a half a day deal to get to the clutches and clean them out and put it back together. changing the oil and diff fluid may be easy, dunno there but from working on the machine standpoint you gotta pull half the plastic and disassemble the whole machine to get to the motor. practically the whole interior and floor pan has to come out to get to the motor. similar to the maverick, but the maverick uses all push pins. a push pin tool and you can have the whole interior our of a maverick in 7 minutes. the kawie uses push pins, 10mm, phillips head screws, 12mm. its an algorithm of what-the-F to get it all apart. its a party wagon and thats about all its good for. everyone hits the dunes and hauls ass and you gotta just say "where you headed i'll take the short-cut and meet you there" and find a slower easier path. they are top heavy and narrow. they arent a high performance machine. they carry the beer and a few people and cruise. dont expect it to hang with the guys in the performance machines. even with an exhaust and programmer. still nowhere near what the performance SxS will do in terms of capability and power and performance. advantages- nice upright seating position that feels somewhat comfortable, which makes for a nice recreational machine that would be great for sight-seeing and trail rides. super reliable clutch system now with the wet clutch. you almost cant blow a belt because you cant run it hard enough to get the belt hot. the suspension and power limit you from going fast enough to hurt the belt. cons-super major pain in the Ace to work on i despise working on one to the point i dread any time someone calls me about one. if you wanted cheap and 4 seater you could look at a used RZR800S4 like the robby gordon edition 8004seater. if you want cheap you can probably pick one up for relatively cheap, go thru the intake and air filter system and replace the parts as needed, put a new clutch on it because they too wear out over time, replace a few wear items and have a machine thats relatively comfortable and as quick as the Teryx and save yourself a lotta cash. you could prob pick one up for half price of a new 9004 seat and use the left over money to replace wear parts and buy plenty of beer with the money left over. this is only if you are looking from a reliability and price standpoint. the old 800 is a decent machine. they are no powerhouse but neither is that teryx. both would be similar in performance in my opinion. if you are even remotely considering something so watered down as a teryx then you could get a used 4seat 800S for lots less

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000