What does it cost to get into desert racing?

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
I've been watching this thread since it's started and I think it's a great topic of conversation and everyone has some great points to be made. At the end of the day or I guess in this case before the build you have to ask yourselves what your goals are. Everyone races for a different reason not everyone is out there to win. Some do it for the experience, some for the challenge, others do it for a cause, and a lot do it for the fun.

My recommendation would be to figure out what you want to accomplish and work backwards from there. Next step is to figure out where you want to race. If you're going to race in a series like SCORE it can be extremely expensive to do so with a majority of the money being spent in travel and logistics. A series like BITD can be less expensive because the races are in the US and with the exception of Vegas to Reno there isn't much travel during the race. If these two series are out of your budget then there are a ton of "regional" series that allow UTVs. I believe MORE, DRIVE, Whiplash, BORR and others all have UTV clases.

To get the best bang for your buck I would recommend spending your money building your car and work the bugs out at a smaller regional race. Put as many miles as you can on your car before you enter a race. I remember when I built my first Rhino I worked the bugs out at Vegas to Reno in 2007 and all I did was waste a bunch of money and peoples time. I never should have showed up to a race like that.

What you determine as your goal is going to determine how much money you have to spend to build your car. My goal is to win a championship so it's probably the worst goal to have when it comes to spending money because there is no expense you can spare to make sure the car is ready for each race. It still baffles me to this day how much money I spend preping my car to keep it competitive. In reality looking at the overall financial picture building the car is actually one of the cheaper pieces of the equation.

dezertrebelz

Feb 14, 2010
Tucson AZ
PROFOX Racing Suits Shoes Gloves - Race Fire Suit
Here is a very affordable place to get all the parts to a fire suit also I have to note that I had a seam come apart all my fault and they replaced the suit with no problems excellent customer service and great products.

Zamp Racing - FSA-2 Air
Here is What I consider a decent affordable helmet. I like mine all right it works well to protect my dome and keep me cool.

I am posting this because I was recently asked a few times so here you go.

Brian Dezert Rebelz Racing

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
Mike gave some good advice. When I started racing, my RZR was legal to race in the WORCS series and Whiplash series. I was able to get my feet wet and learn alot about racing while still building my RZR for the BITD series. I also have to point out another valuable tool for building a race car, UTVUnderground and its members. I wish I knew about this site when I started my build. Anytime anyone has a question about anything it is amazing how this comunity comes together to help each other out!

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Mike gave some good advice. When I started racing, my RZR was legal to race in the WORCS series and Whiplash series. I was able to get my feet wet and learn alot about racing while still building my RZR for the BITD series. I also have to point out another valuable tool for building a race car, UTVUnderground and its members. I wish I knew about this site when I started my build. Anytime anyone has a question about anything it is amazing how this comunity comes together to help each other out!
You are so right about having the forum and the folks here. They have tons of great info and they are willing to help. Even those that compete against each other on here have a willing attitude to help others.
Mike L, you are right and have lots of good info there. I'm going to be just like you though, run V2R with a new car...LOL. But hey, I'm doing it for the fun and some competitveness. I really should enter in the sportsman class, but what the heck, let some of my entry money sweeten the winnings payback.

I'm sure all of us though, want to throw a big thankyou out to guys like Mike and Bill from Jagged X, Mike Lasher, Micheal Lansky and Cory S. for all their posts on race builds and excellent info they give out....

Okay, time to go back to my cave and finish getting ready for a race.....By the way Joey, I need another co-dawg/navigator for V2R....

karter44

2013 WORCS 850 CHAMPION
May 9, 2010
What would be the average size fuel cell you guys use for desert racing? I have been running series that dont require a fuel cell, but want to race in some of the bigger series and longer races.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
What would be the average size fuel cell you guys use for desert racing? I have been running series that dont require a fuel cell, but want to race in some of the bigger series and longer races.
I have seen fuel cells in UTV desert racing range from 10-15 gallons....Bigger is usually better...if it fits. :eek:

You don't have to fill it to capacity if you are worried about weight.

Tip#4 Jazz makes some pretty inexpensive fuel cells. Make sure they are clean when you install them...change your fuel filter after you put 100 miles with your UTE and don't believe that your fuel pump will suck 12 gallons out of a 12 gallon fuel cell.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
I'm installing a 12 gallon cell now, but have a 16 gallon that will fit in for longer races. I'll run the 12 gal. one at V2R, which will put me pitting 3 or 4 times for fuel. Still in the testing and experimenting stage.

Mike, do you notice quite a bit more fuel consumption with the Muzzy big bore than before?

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
One thing I found out is that my 12 gal fuel cell only holds 10gal so double check and make sure the capacity is really what they say it is.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
i would tell anybody that wants to run a full season in bitd get ready for the rollercoaster ride of your life. there will be plenty of downs but when you get that first podium your hooked for life. How much to run a season $1000-$2000 a race just in entry fees and gas and hotel. there are 6 races so i would $6000-1200 just for one season. On cost to build a car unlimited i would through that out the window & figure out what maintenance & what deals you can get in parts ex. tires/shock rebuild/fluids/air filters/motor rebuild/clutch rebuilds/ axle rebuild/were to get best deal on oem parts. The oem part thing will make or break a team. Why do you think jagged does so good they have every part in both trucks they are fully preped for anything that happens.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I will start a new thread with the topic...of race prep

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
Great thread, thanks.
I thought it would be outside my world and now I am sure of it. Good to know never the less.
You guys keep up the great racing.

FYI, I am your basic life long dirt motorcycle rider moving into the UTV world with my Commander 1000 XT.

Bryan :cool:

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Hey Bryan...

Good to see you here!... loads of great information and a great of group of people with a lot knowledge!

look forward to your posts!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000