Wanting to race short course in 2016 need advise.

Fred

Oct 18, 2015
I recently purchased a yxz1000r with plans to run it in the production class for LORORS short course racing. Being completely new to this, I could use some advise.

Wheels & Tires:
What wheel and tire set up should I start with? I'm leaning towards Hipers, but have no idea on tires.

Should I stick with stock offset or would wider give me more stability?

Suspension:
I keep hearing harder is better and lower stance. The suspension has multiple adjustments and I don't want to be a basketball out there bouncing around. And I'm pretty sure the front will be set different from the back.

High speed compression setting?
Low speed compression setting?
Rebound setting?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
A lot of this information has cost racers tens of thousands of dollars to find out. You might not receive the info youre looking for. But maybe take a look at the equipment the champions are running in each series.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Since this is a brand new vehicle most of these questions dont have an answer yet. I would guess that your going to want to switch to a dual spring setup on the shocks and possibly a different wheel offset depending on steering geometry. Yamaha supposedly tested a lot with the Bighorn tires but likely for all around performance.

Fred

Oct 18, 2015
I understand a lot of guys have put a lot of money into figuring this stuff out. I'm not necessarily looking for race winning secrets, just looking for a little beginners direction. I assumed production class was for guys looking to get into it.

UTV Wolfpack

Aug 7, 2012
Hey Fred,
Not a ton of people care to help out others if they are racing against you. As far as questions go, Please email me I would be glad to help you get on the track and get your car set up. I can recommend tires and wheels as far as shocks and support from the people that support our team. We love to have more racers at the track and we are always willing to lend a helping hand if needed. Thats the way it should be. Maybe some of the UTVunderground other members can tell me I am wrong but at some point someone on this forum will need help one day on the track weither its borrowing a part or tool. Maybe even if you are hurt and they stop to help!!!!!
Anyways my email is
[email protected]
my name is Jason
you can call me as well
714-883-1171

Fred

Oct 18, 2015
Hey Fred,
Not a ton of people care to help out others if they are racing against you. As far as questions go, Please email me I would be glad to help you get on the track and get your car set up. I can recommend tires and wheels as far as shocks and support from the people that support our team. We love to have more racers at the track and we are always willing to lend a helping hand if needed. Thats the way it should be. Maybe some of the UTVunderground other members can tell me I am wrong but at some point someone on this forum will need help one day on the track weither its borrowing a part or tool. Maybe even if you are hurt and they stop to help!!!!!
Anyways my email is
[email protected]
my name is Jason
you can call me as well
714-883-1171

Thanks for the reply Jason. I'll email you shortly. Hope to see you at a race sometime.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I understand a lot of guys have put a lot of money into figuring this stuff out. I'm not necessarily looking for race winning secrets, just looking for a little beginners direction. I assumed production class was for guys looking to get into it.
Weller racing will be racing one in short course soon and I am sure Jason would help also. Like I said before I dont think they have actually done any short course testing yet so the amount of info is very limited. Also there is a good thread on here about steering geometry and wheel offset that is very informative.

Fred

Oct 18, 2015
Weller racing will be racing one in short course soon and I am sure Jason would help also. Like I said before I dont think they have actually done any short course testing yet so the amount of info is very limited. Also there is a good thread on here about steering geometry and wheel offset that is very informative.
Thanks. I've spoken to Jason a couple times. He has been great to work with and very helpful. I'll being sending most of my business his way.

Dmayhew26

Feb 6, 2014
SoCal series? Or ? I can help with tires for the SoCal tracks. Suspension your gonna want low ride height and stiffer springs than stock. I'm not sure exactly for the yxz and nobody will yet as I haven't seen one at the races yet. There will be lots of testing going on soon I'm sure. If you have any questions my email is [email protected] and would be more than happy to help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000