Walker Evans Walker Link

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Is anyone using the new Walker Link? I'm interested in what it offers. I like he idea. But I want to know t if is a well functioning part. I don't want the vehicle to lean in the corners. But I would like it to soften up some of the high speed washboard in the rear, and to have a little more articulation in the rear.

Interested to hear feedback from anyone who uses this part. And is it worth the steep $375?

UPDATE! Check post #12 for my first ride review on this product!

Last edited:

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
Mr. Canadian Jamie,

Not one has more miles with Walker links than I do so let me give you the low down. First off anytime you spend money on something you want to get your money's worth, I can understand that. Because this is a relatively new product there aren't many in the field yet but we ( I work for WER) have been demoing them at the last few rally's and events we have attended looking for unbiased opinions. So far we have had nothing but positive feedback. I'm sure you are saying to yourself, sure but he wouldn't tell me if there were negative comments. Actually, I would.

The only negative I originally thought of for these was they weigh slightly more than the stock solid links. This is true, however when I replaced a set of adjustable aftermarket links on a customers car the other day I was surprised that the billet adjustable links ( I won't name the brand) were actually heavier than the Walker Links.

Your stock links by design actually store energy in the rubber bushings as they cycle though the travel and tend to load and unload at sporadic rates and that is one reason why these SXS vehicles sometime feel vague or unsettled in the corners. This problem can be fixed but using a heim Joint like most aftermarket links.

What you don't get with any solid link is the initial free movement that the Walker Links provide. So, better shock action (regardless of the brand or type of shock) at initial movement but it retains a solid feel in the corners. It actually improved traction in the corners. When your outside tire is loaded and you hit a bump with the inside tire a solid link will upset the car by making the opposite shock react to a bump it did not hit. With the Walker Links the inside un-weighted tire can float over bumps without effecting the loaded tire.

As far as your worry about body lean or a loose "no sway bar fell" I think you will be surprised by the actual improvement in feel these provide. I'm not sure if you have a Turbo or not but if not then you already have lean because of no front sway bar. If you do have a Turbo you will want Walker Links on the front once you feel the improvement from the rear. (fronts are in development now)

You want a better wash board feel, better articulation and a controlled feel with better traction when cornering. My guess is you will love these.

For the record, the Walker link in the top picture is a prototype and had a threaded body. The production unit will be a hard clear smooth body similar to the bottom picture.

I am here to help you understand and if you want to talk in person please email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to chat more.

Happy trails!

Attachments

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Thank you for the reply. SoundsIke a great upgrade.

I emailed you. - did you receive it?

Last edited:

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I drove a XP1000 Turbo yesterday with the Walker Links. I originally thought they were a 'rock crawling thing' but I was wrong. They offer effectively the same amount of roll control as stock, while freeing up the rear wheels to act more independently. So what I felt was that the inside rear tire was on the ground more in a hard corner providing traction and the handling of the car was better. Instead of the traditional feeling of unpredictable handling/sliding when the sway bar loads up then releases, you know where the limit is. The ride was improved as well. I can only imagine how much better it would be over stock in slow rock climbing situations, but I really don't do that. My 2 pesos.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
You don't get a ton of body roll? These are interesting links.
Yeah a lot more than with it hooked up. lol I am running Eibach springs that are quite a bit stiffer than stock so that helps with body roll quite a bit too.

I reconnect it at the dunes or for aggressive desert driving but the majority of what I do is trail riding.

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Install and first ride review on the Walker links!

Installation was very easy. Literally just pull the old links off, and use the same bolts to put the Walker Links on. Using the spacers provided, the links go on no problem. The fit and finish on them is clean and appears to be good quality.

After installing them I rocked the machine a little to see if they move. And to my surprise they move very easily. I thought they would be stiffer. You can easily compress them by hand.

I got a chance to give them a good test yesterday. I am happy to tell you they work as described. The machine leans a little more around corners. But, the inside tire though light, seems to stay on the ground and absorb the bumps. Instead of trying to lift off the ground it really wants to stay planted.

On fast rough roads, riddled with washboard and small deep puddles, I was going up to 70mph and it is WAY smoother. A huge difference in the fast uneven trail stability.

As for slow speed trail riding, crawling over rocks and rutted rough trails. The rear offers articulation where they was previously very little. It is enough to make a difference, but not enough to notice the machine leaning over in off camber situations.

Overall, I consider this a really great upgrade if you are one of those folks who likes to do a little of everything. I prefer high speed aggressive riding. But being located in the foothills and within an hour of the rockys, I usually end up doing a little bit of everything. This is an upgrade anyone can appreciate, as it takes the roughness out of the rear end.

My only complaint is that there is no clamp on shield to protect the shaft and body. I might had to come up with something. Because of the price of these, I don't plan on replacing them often.

Walker Evans hasn't paid me to write this review, or even offered me any sort of discount on this product. I paid full price and shipping to have these brought to my door. This my honest review.

Last edited:

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
Thanks for your review Jamie! Whenever you are in need to have them serviced it is on me! Just send me an email. Speaking of service there is no reason to have them serviced at an accelerated rate compared to your shocks so just keep them on that schedule.

Happy trails!

paulk

Jun 11, 2013
Peoria, Az
Got mine but was unable to ride this weekend,, I am really looking forward to seeing how they work first hand

Last edited:

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I've been riding with the stock rear sway bar disconnected on my xp turbo. Love it! But I'm planning on getting the Shock Therapy 3+ spring kit, and with a softer ride in the rear, these might be just what the doctor ordered! Thanks for the good review!

Last edited:

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Did some more testing on these links. Man am I impressed. It was on high speed smooth terrain. It feels word when it leans more as it takes up the link travel. The inside wheel stays planted and after s couple turns it feels completely natural. It's a really great ride. I don't want to beat the subject to death since I already wrote a review above. The more I drive on them the more I love them.

Barely leans at all visually. Not enough to upset weight of the car and feel tippy.

Reactions: ALTRacing

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
Mr. Canadian Jamie,

Not one has more miles with Walker links than I do so let me give you the low down. First off anytime you spend money on something you want to get your money's worth, I can understand that. Because this is a relatively new product there aren't many in the field yet but we ( I work for WER) have been demoing them at the last few rally's and events we have attended looking for unbiased opinions. So far we have had nothing but positive feedback. I'm sure you are saying to yourself, sure but he wouldn't tell me if there were negative comments. Actually, I would.

The only negative I originally thought of for these was they weigh slightly more than the stock solid links. This is true, however when I replaced a set of adjustable aftermarket links on a customers car the other day I was surprised that the billet adjustable links ( I won't name the brand) were actually heavier than the Walker Links.

Your stock links by design actually store energy in the rubber bushings as they cycle though the travel and tend to load and unload at sporadic rates and that is one reason why these SXS vehicles sometime feel vague or unsettled in the corners. This problem can be fixed but using a heim Joint like most aftermarket links.

What you don't get with any solid link is the initial free movement that the Walker Links provide. So, better shock action (regardless of the brand or type of shock) at initial movement but it retains a solid feel in the corners. It actually improved traction in the corners. When your outside tire is loaded and you hit a bump with the inside tire a solid link will upset the car by making the opposite shock react to a bump it did not hit. With the Walker Links the inside un-weighted tire can float over bumps without effecting the loaded tire.

As far as your worry about body lean or a loose "no sway bar fell" I think you will be surprised by the actual improvement in feel these provide. I'm not sure if you have a Turbo or not but if not then you already have lean because of no front sway bar. If you do have a Turbo you will want Walker Links on the front once you feel the improvement from the rear. (fronts are in development now)

You want a better wash board feel, better articulation and a controlled feel with better traction when cornering. My guess is you will love these.

For the record, the Walker link in the top picture is a prototype and had a threaded body. The production unit will be a hard clear smooth body similar to the bottom picture.

I am here to help you understand and if you want to talk in person please email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to chat more.

Happy trails!
I spoke with someone at WE about some for the front of a turbo and it was recommended to either run just one front or just the rear links. I was told that with both on the front it basically takes away from having a sway bar at all? I think I can see why because when your in the throttle the front end is unloaded so it wouldn't allow the compression on the shock ?

I like the idea of them and I'm looking to purchase a set in the near future just want to make sure what works the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000