UTVUG / CageWRX Polaris RZR BITD Build Thread

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I get asked all the time about why I don't race. The reality is, I know my role in this sport and its not to be your guys competitor every weekend. However, it is fun for me to get out there from time to time and bang doors with all of you. It helps me better relate and it also gives me my fix for competition. With that said, I enjoy being the guy that gives you all coverage way more so I will never go away from that but racing gives me some great experiences and results in some cool content for our site and sport.

I made a decision late last year that UTVUG should have its own desert car to build and play with. It will be great content for the site, add another machine to the field and lastly help get me my fix. Reality is, I don't have the funds to fully operate a program at the level I would want to run it on my own. Nor do I have the time to build, prep and compete at a high level. So to execute I had to figure out how to make this work and who would want to work with me to essentially run this show so that I can remained focus on the things that I need to keep doing as the dude from UTVUG.

First rule of order was to line up a machine and establish a team partner. I pitched my idea to Polaris and they were all about it and supplied us a brand new 2015 Polaris RZR XP1000. From there I made a phone call to Chad & Larry Ragland. Both of the Ragland's have fallen in love with UTVs and have fully integrated their love for RZRs into their lifestyles as off-road racers and enthusiasts. They jumped in feet first and told me they were all about going at this together. Within a couple of days we had the UTVUnderground / CageWRX (Chad's company) Polaris RZR team in place!

Since Chad has launched his company CageWRX it was a perfect fit for him. Chad volunteered to take on the responsibility of building the machine. Together we would develop a plan for sponsors and parts to help us get this machine ready to compete in BITD. For me its almost surreal. Here I am building a race RZR to compete alongside one of the most legendary off-road racers of all time in Larry Ragland and getting to do it with one of my good buddies Chad Ragland. Together we will make a good team!

Chad got started right away with a cage based off of his CageWRX production cage however we had it fully welded to the chassis. We are utilizing CageWRX new boxed long travel kit which is a +4" kit (+2" on each side). CageWRX spindles are also being used. The guys also went through and gusseted every weak point on the factory chassis. Our goal is to keep weight down!

We are using MOMO race seats and steering wheel. Walker Evans Racing 2.5" race spec shocks and 15" Walker Evans Racing bead lock wheels. We will run on BFG KM2 Mudd-Terrain tires. Baja Designs lights will help us brighten up those dark sky's!

We are working on a lot of other stuff as we speak so if you or your company have a product we can run please feel free to let me know!! We need all the help we can get! lol

I will keep you guys all posted here on the progress.

ROTR

Rock Crawler
Mar 9, 2011
Utah
www.rallyontherocks.com
It's good to see someone else build a car without going clear to the frame rails. We bought a bolt on cage and welded it on also. With all the talk of nerfing and such, is this type of build "safe" enough?

Reactions: JoeyD23

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Congrats Joey...partnering up with others (especially with a couple of hero's of the sport) sounds a like a great way to get out onto the course- good business move too of course for all of you! See you at the SS!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Thanks guys!! we are really excited.

Some concerns for safety have been mentioned here and to me privately. Just to be clear, we had Cory approve the way we mounted the cage and of course we still have some work to do. Safety is always paramount and is being taken into consideration through the entirety of this build.

The purpose of our build is to do a BITD desert UTV built in the spirit of what a UTV is. A couple of years ago Jagged X offered a fantastic build option for racers who wanted to work on a budget. Bring them a machine and $10K and they would build you a BITD legal race machine. Our concept is the same here.

Sure over time we will adapt and improve the build but the goal for us is to build a safe, reliable and competitive machine while retaining the bulk of the UTV and showing others that you don't need to spend $50-$70K to go desert racing. I am sure many will smirk and are already saying "well that isn't going to work" or "thats going to break" but I think everyone should also know that we aren't going to "cut corners". We just aren't going to go over board and over improve. We will live and learn on a lot I am sure but I think we will have a great and fun race machine to go compete with all while keeping the costs down.

With all that said, would I like to have a Jagged X or LSR level build? HELL YEAH!! But today its not in the cards. My thought is if we go out and prove that we are capable of competing at a decent level then budget and sponsors will come and we can get to that higher echelon of UTV racing. Until then, we are just trying to go have some fun!!

CageWrx

Builder
Aug 8, 2014
San Diego, CA
www.cagewrx.com
We couldn't be more excited to race and partner with UTVUG and Polaris. We also have many other sponsors that are helping and we want to thank them: Baja Designs, Momo, BFGoodrich, Walker Evans Racing, and PCI Race Radios. We will also be adding more as we get closer to finishing the build. All of these companies have been very supportive of my efforts both on and off the track.

Joey D is also a trusted friend, and some one I enjoy being around. Except when he is very hungry. He also has skills behind the wheel, and we are stoked to have this opportunity to race with him.

Those of you who know me, know I am very concerned with motorsports safety. I was one of the first to run a Hans device in the desert. I have made my beliefs about seats very public. I am certainly not one to cut corners. Our goal is to showcase the capabilities of the Polaris RZR XP 1000, complete in some of the best off-road races in existence, and have fun. All of this will be done with safety in mind.

See you at the races.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Joey,
Want to talk about our new "Full Four" intake housing. Features a massive R2C filter, 4" in and out, offset inlet. Easy to mount in any location and you can use industry standard 4" couplers. We can modify your stock Plenum box for 4" and we make cuffed ducts in any length too!!!
Give me a shout

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
This thing is gonna do work. Way to try and build a car with a budget to show people out there it does not always take the biggest pocket to race and have lots of fun doing it. I would never doubt Chad on his safety for racing with the experience he has in off road! Keep up the great work and can't wait to see how it does.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Going to be epic, I feel like you could have added seat sliders and stretched the chassis so I could drive too though! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000