UTV's in Dakar Rally

Matt Martelli - CEO

Mad Media
Staff member
Jun 17, 2013
madmedia.com
Just got back stateside from Dakar rally. I have been to a ton of off-road events but this one was amazing! I highly recommend you go next year. There are 11 UTV's entered in this year race from multiple different manufacturers. Just like desert racing UTV's are such a cost effective and diverse race platform we will see this class explode over the next few years.

Here are a few photos from tech.
Dakar_Rally_Polaris_RZRs_dirtco.jpg

Dakar_Rally_yamaha_utv_02.jpg
Dakar_Rally_Yamaha_UTV.jpg

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Always been curious to know if the UTVs race the same number of stages and the same course as all the other classes ?

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Thanks.. Really really enjoying following the race this year. Dakar fan had footage on YouTube of the aftermath of Menzies crash just after it happened. Felt horrible for those guys and you could see how much pain the co driver was in sitti g there on that tire. And How completely bumbed Bryce was...

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Can am X3 cars are 1st and 2nd right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Just a little background on the pink YXZ....Camille is a tiny woman with pigtails who has raced the Dakar several times, I believe, on a Yamaha Raptor. I would think the YXZ would be a much more comfortable ride for her this year!

Matt Martelli - CEO

Mad Media
Staff member
Jun 17, 2013
madmedia.com
Yeah - that crash was scary. I was with them the day before and they had the right mindset to finish the race and win some stages, but that's off-road racing!

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
There is a Moto Dude named Lyndon Poskitt that is doing daily Utube updates that I have been following . I cant stop watching or following this guy. So fascnating. He is entered in Melle Moto . This class races Dakar but they are allowed no outside support and they are only allowed to bring to the race what they can fit in a small bin. And they must work on thier own bikes at night. No help what so ever. All the maintenance and everything is on them. Only thing allowed is tire support I believe. Then they crawl into a small 1 man tent after doing all their own bike maintenance at night and start all over. So completely bad ass...

Last edited:

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
The first few dune stages have kicked some ass for lots of guys this year. Including some front runners in all the classes. Seems odd the dunes would give these guys so much trouble.

Last edited:

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Just a little background on the pink YXZ....Camille is a tiny woman with pigtails who has raced the Dakar several times, I believe, on a Yamaha Raptor. I would think the YXZ would be a much more comfortable ride for her this year!

Camille has been getting some screen time on the Dakar update channels lately.. They showed her at a river crossing cruising right through and for a full minute on an in-car cam driving and goofing off. They must have been between stages and traveling. My god what a beast of a course this year so far . I've really have been enjoying this year with following the the Melle moto rider Poskitt and also following the Coronel brothers . They are driving a new Damon Jeffries built car they have named the beast. . Both teams have been putting out super entertaining content with thier daily race updates. What these guys and gal racers go through to race this race is pretty wild. The dunes , the weather , the dust , the mud and logistics. And especially just the shear numbers of race miles these racers are racing. Loving all of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000