UTV World Championship LIVE Coverage!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
WRONG!!!! SCANLON Was the 3rd car into the desert.. he wasn't behind 15... you can also see how much more dust his crash kicked up. IT WAS DUST, IN A DESERT RACE! The pile up definitely wouldn't have been as severe had the other guys been farther back, but to blame this solely on the land rush is stupid. It was a crash in a desert race on a dusty course. This type of thing has happened over and over again in NON land rush racing situations.
I never said Scanlon was 15th. I said when you send 15-20 cars bunched up into the dust your going to get carnage, which you had. And you said this would not have been as bad if other cars would have been farther back. So Joey what caused so many cars to be bunched up so early in the race?

From the video you can see Scanlon was in dust, he must have missed a turn or something and rolled. It was the 2-3 cars that were behind him that then hit him. So if he was 3rd, now within seconds the 4th-6th cars hit him? Why again were so many cars bunched up as they headed into the desert part? How far back was Brian Bush? He stated once you got off the watered course and into the dusty desert it was dangerous. His words not mine! He was in a race car not on the side lines! Lets see what some other racers thought? I heard Marc Burnett was all crossed up and almost flipped. Other cars were way off course when they cleared the dust.

For the sake of argument lets say the cars were 10 seconds apart when they entered the non watered desert course. All it takes is one car to wreak and it starts piling up behind them. I've been in this situation when Score ran the Primm 300 right along the I-15. We did not flip, but we became a nerfing train as one guy slowed because of the dust. Joey I know you have ridden with JaggedX in Baja. I also know you got in hundreds of miles into the race when the traffic was spread out and thinned out. I don't know if you have ever driven a race car or ran behind several cars stacked up or in a silt bed. But I think if you have you would probably see what Brian and some others have said.

Last edited:

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
Every driver had the chance to make multiple decisions in this race. First decision was to decide whether or not to try and be the first car in their row to make it to the first corner. Don't want to get bunched up and bottlenecked then you have the choice to back off. Next decision was once to the dusty desert section the driver was faced with slow down and drive cautiously, or like Scanlon drive competitively and take chances. His gamble didn't pay off, but each driver has the option to use the brake or the gas pedal. The land rush was rad!!!!

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
I was 4th and behind Craig but I also made my own GPS file during the prerun I knew there was a hard turn coming I also realized it was DUSTY no Dustier then any other desert off road race .. everybody was afforded the same luxury I was and was able to make a prerun file for the race .. as for you speaking about Brian he was also invited to prerun with me and was called the morning of the prerun but was to tired to make it ... I didn't run into anybody but I took advantage of everything Including slowing down in heavy dust ...

Last edited:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Well there you go, one thought it was Rad and the other thought it was no worse then other races. So I guess I'm wrong and that's cool. F#ck it start them all in one row and go for it!

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
I think it was a good Desert RACE set up. Put some water on the first 5-6 corners in the desert section. Right before the race starts, and that's all it would take to make it perfect. The dust in the straight a-ways will separate the cars. By the second lap it's dam near business as usual.

For the Production race, I would just hit the corners a lot heavier with water before the start, and let it play out. I did enjoy getting blasted by the water truck on the back straight a-way. The first time it happened I was like WTF!!!! Then I was hoping to get wet down every lap.

Growing Pains.........

The Land Rush start was fun. It was the first one I have driven in. We did a few in Parker back in the day.
Used up all of my NOS getting to the first corner. But dam near wheelied out. :)

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
So glad we have racers with sense here! I have seen desert races with UTVs running nose to tail in dust for the past 6 years. It's desert racing. Shit happens. Johnny is right, anyone who did the pre run could of had the GPS file.

This race was supposed to put UTVs on the big stage and show them and their sponsors that this is a real class with real potential. I hope we all did right by you.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I think it was a good Desert RACE set up. Put some water on the first 5-6 corners in the desert section. Right before the race starts, and that's all it would take to make it perfect. The dust in the straight a-ways will separate the cars. By the second lap it's dam near business as usual.

For the Production race, I would just hit the corners a lot heavier with water before the start, and let it play out. I did enjoy getting blasted by the water truck on the back straight a-way. The first time it happened I was like WTF!!!! Then I was hoping to get wet down every lap.

Growing Pains.........

The Land Rush start was fun. It was the first one I have driven in. We did a few in Parker back in the day.
Used up all of my NOS getting to the first corner. But dam near wheelied out. :)
Nobody gives a shit what you think bro!

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
The "land rush" START was ok. It was a little dicey. We were in survival mode so even though we got a good jump off the line we backed off an watched Marc almost get tossed into the rhubarb. The tight action was fun but it was also too tight to do anything except follow once it necked down. Wide enough for the bikes and maybe quads earlier but a UTV with a long travel kit needs a lot of room to pass. It also wasn't cool whoever started their car in the second row the second the first line took off. Unless it was blowing smoke the was no way the officials could have seen who it was. They were maybe 2-3 cars over from us.

Like may have commented it was dangerous once we got into the unwatered portion. We were probably 30 cars back and driving pretty slow as we couldn't even see our front bumper. Every once in awhile we could see a blue light but there was no safe way to gain any ground on them. Maybe a mile or so into the desert someone tried making a pass on us up on the berm. We didn't see them coming. I was co driving and watching the mirrors pretty close. I knew there was a mess of cars just behind us. The whole convoy we were in had sirens going so we couldn't hear them either. Anyway they swerved back in front of us and caught our front tire with their rear and rolled several times right in front of us blocking our way. I don't know how we were not ran over by everyone behind us but we both knew we were sitting ducks.

The road there was plenty wide to make a safe pass yet visibility played a roll in the crash. It was just a mile or so after that that a dude appeared out of nowhere on the edge of the road flagging people to the other side. That was where Jagged and one other car went off. If it wasn't for the dude 100 yard up we probably would have piled in as well.

From then on till we broke down we never got in a group larger than 3 cars. The dust was still bad but it was still possible to see the road in front of you. The dust of 3 cars is much different than 10 or 30 bunched right together. I appreciate the effort to change things up but it wasn't the safest format. I would just say please consider what the racers have to say. I did not talk to one person that did not start in the first row that felt it was a good format.

From a spectators point of view, my uncle said it wasn't that interesting of a start. There was no room to battle. Multiple head to head races would be more interesting. I think it would be interesting to do a long, straight technical section two at a time would be interesting for the spectators. Kind of like the Red Bull Straight Rythm for motorcross.

Overall the event was a blast. Well done by UTVUG, MadMedia, and BITD. Definitely looking towards the next one.

Reactions: NIKAL

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
I had a blast, the land rush was cool. I was at the very tail end of 2nd row.and also heard a motor start. got me excited so I did start mine. I shut the motor back off and watched everyone leave.LOL..somebody was quick of the line.had a great time and the wife got a lot of good pics of the start and the infield if anyone wants to see them.just cant figure out how to post them all._MG_9043.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: facteryfmf

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think what I would do differently is just make the cars do the full infield loop off the start. Its watered pretty good so limited dust there. This gives enough time for the fast guys to get out front and everyone else to separate a little before hitting the dusty desert. The land rush has a lot of positives. Way better than watching 2 slower UTVs drag racing side x side over and over again. Plus it gives 15 guys all a chance at being the first into the desert.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
I had a blast, the land rush was cool. I was at the very tail end of 2nd row.and also heard a motor start. got me excited so I did start mine. I shut the motor back off and watched everyone leave.LOL..somebody was quick of the line.had a great time and the wife got a lot of good pics of the start and the infield if anyone wants to see them.just cant figure out how to post them all.View attachment 10893
Either the Worlds Fastest start and reaction time or the guy that had his motor running befor the start

Reactions: Simi Dude

CodyNygren

#1916 Lone Star Racing
Apr 25, 2013
Farmington, NM
Either the Worlds Fastest start and reaction time or the guy that had his motor running befor the start
That start was 100% legit! My car started with a half of a crank and was gone, trust me I was just as shocked. I just watched both of my GoPros and it shows that it was a legit start. What a great race cant wait for next year!

Reactions: JoeyD23

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
That start was 100% legit! My car started with a half of a crank and was gone, trust me I was just as shocked. I just watched both of my GoPros and it shows that it was a legit start. What a great race cant wait for next year!
I by no means posted that pic because I thought you cheated, sorry for the misunderstanding.i just thought it was a great pic.and the motor I heard start I believe was closer to me, hell it could have been the row behind me. and I panicked and fired up mine.thats why I shut it off and just waited a second, by then most everyone was gone.

Reactions: JoeyD23

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Let's see that footage! Our POS didn't even start with 3 cranks lol!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000