UTV Industries' Biggest Misstep

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Who will be the first to provide a better warranty for our rides. You just spent somewhere between 13k and 20k OTD for a new UTV, and the finance guy asks you to pony up for an extended warranty, versus just sticking with the basic 6 month deal. That kinda money is "Car money" territiory, and you generally get a 3/36 minimum warranty and more with some auto manufacturers. If your argument is, "Well, these UTV's get ridden pretty hard",. well, then build them to be ridden pretty hard and give us a much better warranty, at least on the power train and motor. We are forking out serious cash, so stop bleeding us for "Extended warranties", and instead, stand by your product for 3-5 years, minimally.

Discalaimer: No, my rzr4 is perfectly awesome, no issues, just curious if I'm the only idiot who feels this way:cool:

Also, if you've modified the warrantied items, then just like the auto industry, all bets are off

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
be careful what you wish for. MOST powesports dealerships have horrible service and under-trainned staff to work on sxs's.

The cost of these toys are directly related to what WE will pay for them. Just look at how many sxs's POOlaris has sold in this economy. If we ask for more warranty they will just up the price.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
I bought two UTVs this year, the first was a Ranger Crew for work, as soon as it was home we took off the cage, added additional electrical systems, Alternator kit to belt drive, custom cage, long travel system, wired in emergency lights, LED offroad lights, new seat belts, belly pan, bigger tires/wheels.........yadda yadda, who it their right mind is gonna warranty a broken CV or wiring problem?
Same for my personal T-4, only the motor is stock and thats cause I havent had the motivation to add a re-flash or exhaust. Stock warranties are for farmers or people who are not gonna change out everything. Im sure with a XP your drivetrain is great stock and suspension too but few are gonna leave it completely stock.
MTC, dont pay for a warranty if your gonna modify it.

Bagman

Jan 4, 2011
Norco, CA
Thanks Tim. Stumpy started the thread, not me ;)
Is that kind of like blaming the fart on the dog???

You, or Stumpy, are right though. Warranty is too short. Manufacturers are getting away with it and probably aren't about to change. Increasing it would cut into their profits and that's not the American way.

Warranties kind of stay the same within their industry and 6 months seems to be what we're stuck with for off road vehicles. :(

Dunecrusher

Dunecrusher
May 14, 2012
Oak hills CA
When the completion gets going and the cars all offer very similar features and benefits. This is when the manufacturers will start to sweeten the pot and give more options and longer warranties.

socaldmax

Aug 9, 2011
Arctic Cat is now offering a factory 2 yr warranty on the 2013 models, selling now. I kinda feel like I got screwed, my warranty expired in July, then they decide to increase the warranty period.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Arctic Cat is now offering a factory 2 yr warranty on the 2013 models, selling now. I kinda feel like I got screwed, my warranty expired in July, then they decide to increase the warranty period.
Thats because they read my thread and realized i'm a genius ;) CanAm really stepping up their game. The Maverick looks to be pretty nice. Cant wait for the 4-seater

socaldmax

Aug 9, 2011
Thats because they read my thread and realized i'm a genius ;) CanAm really stepping up their game. The Maverick looks to be pretty nice. Cant wait for the 4-seater

I wish they recognized you were a genius 6 months ago, I'd still have a warranty! LOL

I'm kinda underwhelmed with the Maverick. Seating position is still too high, CoG is too high, the roll cage isn't well designed, (what's with that hatchet blade looking gusset in front of the driver's and passenger's faces?) only 14" of travel, and I've heard the fly by wire throttle and visco-lock setup is problematic. I don't know that personally, just what I've heard around the campfire. None of these things are perfect, and I'm sure there are cures for most of that in the aftermarket, but as far as a starting platform goes, I still think the Wildcat is the easiest to start with.

All the WC needs is a $1300 wet clutch delete kit, which includes a tunable primary clutch, a good exhaust system and an ECU and it will keep up with any stock XP in a drag race, and beat it in any challenging terrain.

Having 101 hp is nice, but it's no substitute for travel. As soon as you start losing control, you have to back out of the throttle and extra power is of no use.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Well, I guess that you put it that way, kinda takes the wind out of the sail. I think I'm just mesmorized by the 101 HP

socaldmax

Aug 9, 2011
Well, if you look at it in terms of how much power the XP has (88), it's only 13hp more. Assuming the Wildcat is 2-4hp lower than the XP, then it's the lowest powered at 84 or 86hp.

I know more power will accelerate a vehicle faster assuming there is no major gearing problem, but Wildcats with optimized clutches and no engine mods have hit up around 88 mph on pavement. That's about as fast as I would want to go in a non race vehicle that wasn't built from the ground up with a full chromo chassis, etc.

IMHO, more (well damped) travel is always better, up to maybe 20" or so. Even with 18" of travel, I've bottomed the Wildcat out a few times. With the exception of driving straight up a sand hill like Brawley Slide or China Wall, I've never felt that the Wildcat was underpowered. More often I've had to back off the throttle to maintain control on a rough trail or make a turn.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Seriously these Shit boxes are Getting way outta line on the Pricing I think. Hell I bought the Prowler in 2006 for $6500 and the 2008 Tyrex for $8300 now 4 years later they are from 16k to 18k what the Hell happened. Jeeez you can buy a nice Used car or truck for this kind of money and almost a few bucks away from new car territory. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000