UTV Championship Updates, Pictures and Race Day Thread

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
I was pretty upset at the lap times deal. I had been talking with bitd on email a few times this week letting them know that after the race I needed the lap times. I went to their trailer about an hour after the desert race to ask them and they said they hadn't got to it yet. Come back later.

I came back at dark. About an hour after the short course race and they told me they were working on it and they would bring them to the awards.

I scrambled to find Diane at the awards and get the times cause I knew I had A LOT to look thru and find them. When I got my hands on the sheet it was what Brandon posted. I was like I went and told Diane I needed the actual real lap times. She said "yeah that's what those are." I said -no... That's the E-lapsed times. I need THE lap times. And she was confused so she called the tracking lady who had apparently loaded up and was driving and couldn't get us the info.

Last year I dealt with David and Liz. They emailed me an excel spreadsheet. David has now retired and quit bitd but I emailed him and Liz this morning asking to please get me the real lap times. David said he would get them to me once things got back to normal tomorrow after everybody got back and could get the info from the girls. As soon as I get the info i plan to post it here as well as congratulate the fastest lap winners and mail them their trophies.

Reactions: JoeyD23 and Johnny

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
I watch and listen to every racer. I wasn't actually timing any one person. Just watching everyone. My guess for the desert race is Johnny, Wayne, or Marc.

Johnny's next to last lap he was strolling. Literally looked like a 16 min lap.

When Wayne broke his front shaft and cut it out he was in 2wd only and punishing his new car. Like beating it like a stray dog. He turned one lap and picked up 25+ places. It was just mind blowingly fast

Marc had some problems. But he was consistently low 18 min laps. He may have had a fast one outta the bunch.

Although cognito won the race they weren't really racing for the fastest lap. I listened to them and everyone else. Every lap they were just smooth roll on roll off in the throttle just easy and steady and smooth and quick. But they weren't beating their car. When Wayne came around that one lap it seemed like 15 mins. I was like -holy crap. I texted his crew chief and asked him to radio Wayne and tell him chill out or he's gonna blow that thing to pieces.

As it was listed above. It was hard to keep up with anyone after lap 3. The cars were so scattered and balled up it was hard to keep up and know what was going on. I can assure you I will get you all the lap times.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I was in the hot pits so I dont know who won the holeshot but Brandon had a nice lead coming around at the end of the first lap.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
S3 got the holeshot like last year. But broke an axle like last year. Branded got around and had clean air. The person who gets the holeshot or is in 1st in the first few laps has a huge advantage. At least 2-3 laps of perfect clean air. Uncontested. Out front in clean air and not having the first traffic for a few laps it's easy to build a big lead quick. Everybody behind the leader of choking on dust and can't see. They let's the guy out front build a commanding lead. By the time cognito got in the lead they were already dealing with lappers which helped keep them in reach for the others. Ryan laidlaw that got 2nd was still within relative reach of cognito. I think like 7 mins back maybe ? But they had to stop and fix an axle. Marc in 3rd I think was 17 mins behind cognito and he had multiple srips and was 30 mins behind and lapped and pulled back to a very respectable 3rd overall.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
It was pretty windy and the people I pitted for said it wasn't bad most of the time with no hanging dust. It certainly wasnt bad enough to keep you way off the leader.Im not sure when S3 broke an axle but they didnt pit for quite a while. Lambert was up front early on and raced a very smart race and may not have fast lap but he has to be close.

Last edited:

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
S3 got the holeshot like last year. But broke an axle like last year. Branded got around and had clean air. The person who gets the holeshot or is in 1st in the first few laps has a huge advantage. At least 2-3 laps of perfect clean air. Uncontested. Out front in clean air and not having the first traffic for a few laps it's easy to build a big lead quick. Everybody behind the leader of choking on dust and can't see. They let's the guy out front build a commanding lead. By the time cognito got in the lead they were already dealing with lappers which helped keep them in reach for the others. Ryan laidlaw that got 2nd was still within relative reach of cognito. I think like 7 mins back maybe ? But they had to stop and fix an axle. Marc in 3rd I think was 17 mins behind cognito and he had multiple srips and was 30 mins behind and lapped and pulled back to a very respectable 3rd overall.
Bullshit.

702sandman

Sep 12, 2015
Did anybody happen to take a pic of the production 1000 race results ? The afternoon race not the desert race

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
It's clear that you guys in the drivers seat have the best and sometimes only view of what's happening. I saw as you guys came by one by one in the infield. There hasn't been a huge amount of info. The race was so chaotic trying to keep up with everyone and there isn't any info anywhere. No final standings. Not a lot of pictures of the finishers at the awards. Only by a few guys posting pix has anyone been able to see anything. Please justin feel free to correct and inform me and any others of how things went. You had a great race. You drive smooth. You are able to race fast and not total the car out. If I am wrong with what I say I am always open to criticism and correction. Any part of how things went from your perspective is what folks would like to hear I am sure.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
It's clear that you guys in the drivers seat have the best and sometimes only view of what's happening. I saw as you guys came by one by one in the infield. There hasn't been a huge amount of info. The race was so chaotic trying to keep up with everyone and there isn't any info anywhere. No final standings. Not a lot of pictures of the finishers at the awards. Only by a few guys posting pix has anyone been able to see anything. Please justin feel free to correct and inform me and any others of how things went. You had a great race. You drive smooth. You are able to race fast and not total the car out. If I am wrong with what I say I am always open to criticism and correction. Any part of how things went from your perspective is what folks would like to hear I am sure.
We will have official results and lap times tomorrow. Sucks that BITD was not able to obtain them from timing immediately. With that said we do have a solution for next year to better streamline these ancient processes being used currently.

With that said, there are pics of the unofficial results and photos of the race all over this thread for everyone to enjoy. More to come tomorrow.

Reactions: jimbeaver15

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I'm a pretty good driver but I'm not Lambert

That being said, my perspective from the hot pit on your last post, was all ass backwards.

shane88

Nov 5, 2014
When I passed S3 they had not broke an axle yet, I was able to get around Cognito on the first desert stretch outside of the infield and then I was able to get around S3 on the following stretch after that around race mile 2-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea we didn't break a axle until the second lap and tried to hold off Justin with 3 axles pulling us, but we couldn't. So at the beginning of the third lap we had to let him around us as he had closed the gap. Branden when you passed us our car was 100% and you came around us on that straight like a mad man lol!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Again Congrats to Justin & the Congnito team and Ryan & the RedLands team for their class wins.

Some interesting notes from looking at the official results.

Cognito's N/A engine takes the overall, showing the Turbo's are not King, Yet!

RedLands came out swinging with a totally out of the box concept and hit a home run in their first race with the new car. Could this be the car that is considered a Game Changer? Time will tell.

Kristen Matlock (Wayne's wife) drove the N/A Jimco for the first time and killed it! She finished 2nd in the N/A class and 3rd overall. I hope Wayne considers keeping both cars and Kristen races the N/A more this year! Mint 400 maybe??

Marc Burnett finished 2nd in Turbo and 4th overall. This is what we all come to expected from Marc and crew and maybe the Monkey is off his back, and foot is better?

First Can Am was Dustin Jones who finished 4th in Turbo and 6th overall.

First Yamaha was Jeremiah Staggs which finished 5th in the N/A and 13th overall.

Out of 87 entries I show that 15 were Can Am's and 3 were Yamaha's (All 3 Yamaha's finished all 10 laps) I did not see any Arctic Cats listed. So clearly Polaris is the most popular machine. Also only 22 cars finished all 10 laps.

Some other surprised notables who we typically see on the top of the results.
Jason Murray was 6th in Turbo
John Angal was 7th in Turbo
Brandon Schueler was 15th in turbo and only completed 8 laps.
Wayne Matlock in his new Turbo ran into issues and only was able to finish 2 laps. (Looking at the Stat's Wayne's first race in the N/A car he had issues, and he came back to win the next.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000