Tragic day at Pismo - EMT dead

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
A San Luis Obispo Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue volunteer dies after he was apparently struck by an ambulance at the Oceano Dunes just after 4:00 p.m. Sunday.

The volunteer's name is not being released at this time as the Department tries to notify next of kin.

Here is a copy of the press release from the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department:

A San Luis Obispo Sheriff's Dept. Search & Rescue (SAR)volunteer was killed at the Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreational area on Sunday afternoon when he was apparently struck by an ambulance responding to a first aid call.

Both the ambulance and the SAR member were responding to the same call. The SAR member was riding a 4-wheel drive ATV, used to patrol and assist State Park Rangers at the popular tourist location. The SAR member was assigned to the heavily trafficked recreational area as part of the normal holiday weekend deployment of Sheriff's resources.

"I want to express my heartfelt sympathy and gratitude to the family of our deceased search and rescue member, who gave his life today trying to help someone in trouble. I also want to acknowledge the pain this must be causing the ambulance staff, who immediately tried to save their brothers life at the scene,"said San Luis Obispo Sheriff, Pat Hedges.

The California Highway Patrol will investigate the collision and will be lead agency in determining the facts surrounding the death.

San Luis Obispo County officials have identified the Search and Rescue volunteer who died after being struck by an ambulance at the Oceano Dunes Sunday afternoon.

24-year-old Christopher Meadows was a San Luis Obispo resident and Cal Poly alumn. Officials say he had just completed his Search and Rescue training and was due to be promoted to Medical Team Leader. He was also a full-time EMT for San Luis Ambulance.

Such a tragedy - hit and killed by his own coworkers and brothers..... RIP Chris . He was a good man.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000