Kawasaki Took the Teryx4 to Glamis for Break-in

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
Just before Thanksgiving, we finally received our Blue EPS Teryx 4. We immediately mounted up some ITP Sand Stars and Skat Trak 26" 8 paddles on DWT wheels. We also installed a sweet Muzzys exhaust system with the black muffler can option.
Stock header system

Installing the Muzzys

Wheels and tires installed......

We didn't have a fuel programmer so checking air/fuel ratios was a primary concern. We found.......
With nothing but the Muzzys bolted on to a brand new T4, the numbers were reasonable up to about 30 to 35 mph. At 40 and above, it runs leaner than I would like for the long term. We were seeing 14:1 at close to 50 mph under a load. That won't kill the engine but it is hard on exhaust packing and far from ideal. We then installed a set of whisper cores hoping they would choke it down enough to bring the a/f numbers into a better range. The result was the same, 14:1 range. So we ran it this weekend while being careful not to run it for extended periods at 40 mph and up.
With the whisper cores installed, this thing is stealthy! My ears enjoyed the reduced noise this weekend too!
So, the factory has limited the top speed electronically to 50 mph and on hard pack terrain I was able to hit that pretty easily. It feels like it will go much faster as soon as we get access to the rev / speed limiters.
In the sand, we duned primarily at speeds from 40 and below. The power was very good for a stock machine with an exhaust system. It will leave many wanting more performance but I am confident that additional performance will be unlocked very soon.
The electric power steering is GREAT! It has just the right feel, in my opinion. If you didn't already know, the assist is variable based on speed and probably many other factors. Some steering systems have too much assist, the Teryx 4 is perfect! It still has feedback but isn't too light or too heavy.
The stock suspension worked well with myself, wife, and son in the car, and running from smooth virgin sand to chopped up sand ruts. The extra wheelbase is nice and I didn't find myself having any complaints related to the extra length and the effects it plays on ground clearance, approach angles, etc. It also has a suprisingly sharp turning radius.
I did appreciate the front NOT digging into the sand when diving into an incline too aggressively. My 09 Teryx would dig the front easily in comparison. I slammed it through some pretty good g-outs and whoops and was pleased that the rear chassis didn't "slap the ground" like some machines can.
A few random thoughts........
The stock seats are quite comfortable! The seats bases have quick releases but the seat frames and backs are bolted in and are a little time consuming to remove. In addition, the harnesses bolt to the seat frames, complicating matters. The seating position is very upright, but I happen to like it and think it is better for people with sensitive backs.
The ergonomics are very good and natural feeling. The new e-brake is great. The new 4WD and diff lock switch is an improvement. Lots of cup holders and storage pockets. The digital display is angled towards the driver to make viewing from the driver seat better, it works.
It doesn't have any means to bolt a flag on anywhere! Did I miss it somewhere? We're making something now to fix that! I added a 17" convex mirror to the stock cage and it worked well and was nice to see behind me without turning around.
I love how wide the cage and attachment points are! It makes me feel more secure as an occupant in the vehicle.
The factory doors work very well. They open and close easily, and the latches seem to function well. They didn't rattle at all which is very important to me.
It is difficult to work on compared to a Yamaha or Polaris side x side. This will make modifications more expensive unless you are doing the work yourself.
Overall I am really excited about the Teryx 4 and think it is a great option for people needing more than 2 seats. Go get one! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000