TOO DUSTY TO RIDE - HELP !!

MysticTraveler

Oct 13, 2015
Too dusty to ride - help !!
I have a 2014 Trail 900 I just moved from Arizona to Bend, Oregon...there are thousands of miles of forest service and old logging roads to ride.....problem is the dirt here is like talcum powder and there is so much dust in the cab I can't see at times - it goes right through goggles and it choking everything.

I am running heavy lugged MAXXIS tires but don't need them for traction - the Jeeps with highway tires do great...so could these lugged tires be part of the problem - what if I went to a smoother tire.

I am also running a windshield as the mornings even in the summer can be below freezing.

I really appreciate anyone's help - I don't want to park my RZR

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
You need one of these to keep your RZR from choking... http://www.sbfilters.com/index.php/particle-separator/overview/ IMO the S&B Particle separator is a must have for people riding in the dust.

And one of these with a full faced helmet and a skirt to keep you from choking. https://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=3739739588931780865
Lots of used helmets set up for fresh air on race-dezert.com

You will be set up just like the racers. Don't let a little silt keep you from riding! My 2 pesos.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
yep. as said above. RZR + windshield = cab completely choked out with dust. dont add a rear net, or anything of the sorts. air in the front and out the back is the only way to keep dust out of the cab. i work on machines every day. running them and testing them on a dirt track. if it has a windshield, its getting taken off or i am not riding it.

even half windshields do it.

the only thing that seems to not do it is the small single bubble wind screen that goes in front of the steering wheel. polaris makes it, or did. you could crouch behind it and keep the wind off your face if you were on an open road. but it didnt mess up the air blowing thru the cockpit to keep the dust down.

yes you may thing that even at 5mph it smokes the cab out, and only 5mph the windshield wouldnt be having an effect. WRONG. even at 2-5mph the windshield makes some sort of vacuum or low pressure area, and the dust gets sucked up into the cab behind the windshield easily.

Reactions: mearsman

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
My half windshield has been sitting in the corner of the garage for a few weeks now. It works great on pavement but the dust is miserable.

Anybody want to buy a XP 1000 windshield? lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000