Tilt Sensor in a SR1?

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
In Corry's recent SR1 newsletter, she stated that the stock R1 tilt sensor will need to be retained as a safety feature.

Of course thats the first thing I did to my R1 as RTV the heck of out that sensor, to bypass it.

Is anybody running currently with the sensor intact? And are you having any problems? It seems like a good hard corner, or a bicycle would be enough to kill the motor.

And do we know yet if this is a recommendation, or a requirement for LOORRS?

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
In Corry's recent SR1 newsletter, she stated that the stock R1 tilt sensor will need to be retained as a safety feature.

Of course thats the first thing I did to my R1 as RTV the heck of out that sensor, to bypass it.

Is anybody running currently with the sensor intact? And are you having any problems? It seems like a good hard corner, or a bicycle would be enough to kill the motor.

This is not in the Rule book that I seen. Jason cut mine out as well when he wired my car. If the needed to stay in all vehicals would need this. Thats why they make you have a red key so that any one can come up to your vehical & shut it off. I pretty sure that if you roll these car they will die anyways.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I noticed in the rules it said that the sensor must be in place and in working condition...

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA

I didnt see it in the rule book but I wasnt looking for it either but I did leave the lean angle sensor in since I thought it was a good idea in terms of safety for the driver and engine, also kept the ECU triggered fuel pump vs. switched too.

The R1 lean angle sensor latches at over 65 degrees side to side, I know modern EFI MX bikes come with this same sensor and once their ECU see's it latch you have something like 7-10 seconds to pick it up before it automatically kills the engine so I would ASS-U-ME the R1 works in the same way. Ill read the manual and see what it says.

Sorry I strayed, yes I left it in.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Tipover Sensor:
Required:
All vehicles must have the stock R1 “tip-over sensor” in place and in good working condition. Sensors must not be disconnected or “filled in” with silicone, or bypassed in any way.

cls 78

Valentine Motorsports - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 3, 2009
Norco
A good alternative for this rule is a oil pressure switch for the power to the fuel pump. In the racing that I come from either was acceptable within the rules. Maybe something to think about. Easy fix for the tip over sensor issue. I personally have never run a stock tip sensor, the few that I have seen run, have had problems.

Mike V

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
In theory an EFI engine should be able to run upside down until it seizes due to lack of oil which is why they added that sensor, if the fuel pump is triggered by a switch in the oil galley and the engine didn’t stall in a wreck it could stay running too long especially if the driver is disoriented or unconscious.

Not trying to make an argument for or against, just saying is all.

As for the sensor being a problem I wouldn’t doubt it since this comes from a street bike vs. a dirt bike but something that may not be helping is switch orientation, not only up there is a difference between front/back and side to side, the switch must be orientated in the right direction.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Tipover Sensor:
Required:
All vehicles must have the stock R1 “tip-over sensor†in place and in good working condition. Sensors must not be disconnected or “filled in†with silicone, or bypassed in any way.
lol, not even following the rules they wrote! :eek: bwaaaaaahahahahahahha

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Gee thanks Rog...nice post.

Sorry guys....that was a rule we added late in the game, after witnessing a couple of rollovers in which the tip-over switch did it's job. My switch, Tylers and Josh's are all hooked up and working properly. As much as I have jumped and two wheeled my SR1, I have never had the switch shut my engine off. The only two times I have seen it happen was during those two rollovers - and we realized that it's a good safety feature that is already a part of the bike harness. Brady's (Bobby's) R1 was one of the first ones we did, before we realized that it was actually a good feature to keep in racing situations.

For any questions regarding LOORRS, please get ahold of Lee Perfect - the SR1 class is in their hands for that series, so they will be the ones to determine if they will enforce that rule or/and make exceptions.

I aplogize that it came so late....as for other series, I am sure there will be reasonable steps taken to get everyone on the same page, and while we just want to keep everyone safe, we also don't want to make it a dealbreaker or a huge headache, either.

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
I did a little digging using Suzuki since the 2010 Yamaha parts manuals are not online yet. Suzuki lables the sensor as Sensor Assy, Fuel Cut and show a different # for the GSXR-1 (street), the RM450(MX), and the LT450(quad).

If this is mandated by LOORRS then using the sensor for a quad vs. a bike would make seem to make more sense by nature of the beast.
5PS-82576-01-00 SENSOR, LEAN ANGLE, from the 2010 YFZ450R quad

As for Weller not following the rule book I believe that portion was inserted by LOORRS since I didnt see it in the original draft....

EDIT, thanks Corry

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
No, it was added by us for the final draft for LOORRS. Jason may not have updated our website to reflect that last change. LOORRS mandated the bumper rule, mudflaps, etc for everyone.

Again - it was supposed to be an easy safety feature since it comes factory. Obviously, as the class gains more on-track experience and any issues come up, we will find a way to get together and figure out the bugs.

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I did a little digging using Suzuki since the 2010 Yamaha parts manuals are not online yet. Suzuki lables the sensor as Sensor Assy, Fuel Cut and show a different # for the GSXR-1 (street), the RM450(MX), and the LT450(quad).

If this is mandated by LOORRS then using the sensor for a quad vs. a bike would make seem to make more sense by nature of the beast.
5PS-82576-01-00 SENSOR, LEAN ANGLE, from the 2010 YFZ450R quad

As for Weller not following the rule book I believe that portion was inserted by LOORRS since I didnt see it in the original draft....

EDIT, thanks Corry
do you see a tip over switch called out below?????????

if there is an SR1 rule book, then get LOORRS to post it already in the SR1 section for UTV's. BTW, no year is specified either

2010 RULE UPDATES
UTV Class Only
For 2010, there will be 2 UTV classes running in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. The Unlimited UTV class will be the 800cc class (numbers 600-699). We will also be adding a spec Yamaha Rhino SR1 class (numbers 800-899).
ALL UTV CLASSES:
-All vehicles must have a flat, full support gas pedal with a toe hook. Toe hook must enable driver to pull back on the pedal in the event of a stuck throttle.
-The age portion of the license rule now reads as follows:
In order to secure a license, a person must:
Be at least 16 years of age for the Pro 4 Unlimited, Pro 2 Unlimited, Pro Lite Unlimited and Pro Buggy Unlimited classes.
Be at least 14 years of age and have approval from LOORRS for the UTV, Limited Buggy, and Superlite classes.
*NOTE: Any racer under 18 will need to provide a birth certificate or driver’s license before competing.
-Minimum front bumper width is 35 inches.
-Mudflaps are required:
A. All vehicles must run rear mud flaps made from 3/16 rubber material.
B. Mud flaps must be at least 12 inches wide and cover the entire rear tire.
C. Mud flaps must extend to within 3 inches of the ground.
D. Mud flaps must be securely mounted with bolts and fender washers to resist folding back or tearing.
E. Mud flaps may not be attached with zip ties or chains.
- Top left half of roll cage above driver’s head must have 1 ½ inch x .095 inch ‘X’ diagonal bracing bars and/or be covered with .125 inch minimum aluminum plate.
a. If plate is used, a single diagonal bar is sufficient.
b. Plate must be attached with 2 bolts on each of the four sides.
-Gussets must be installed at all major intersections, including diagonal and rear down braces, where single weld fractures can affect occupant’s safety.
-Batteries must be wetted fiber or gel cell only.
-Spotters will be required for all UTV teams in 2010. Please check the 2009 rule book for more information.
-Transponders must be mounted 10 inches back from the leading edge of the front bumper on the passenger side.
UNLIMITED UTV:
-Weight limit for Polaris RZR and Yamaha Rhinos (in the Unlimited Class only) will be dropped to 1325 pounds with driver.
SR1 CLASS:
This class will be for Yamaha Rhinos only and will be required to run a stock Yamaha R1 engine.

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
your welcome Corry, was there a post made to let peeps know that there were some changes that may affect them racing or not????

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
There was actually a newsletter sent to everyone who might actually be racing this class that mentioned any changes. I didn't send you one, since you are not racing this class. And I am trying hard to figure out why you are so incredibly opinionated about a class you have no interest in? I think all of us racers/promoters can come up with a way to make sure all SR1's will be able to race come raceday.

Weller Racing

I Make Things Go Fast - Official UTVUnderground Sp
Aug 21, 2009
Chandler, AZ
www.wellerracing.com
Just to clarify we did not remove Bobby's tip over sensor. That is something we have left on every build we have done. It may have been done by someone else at a later date.

The tip over sensor is a very good thing to have for the rare instance that a fuel line bursts when you are upside down. It is a fuel pump cut off switch. All the Yamaha fuel injection quads and bikes have them, they work of a delay like Doug was saying. There will not be a cut out problem on hard turns , or hard hits because of that delay.

Reactions: 1 person

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Just to clarify we did not remove Bobby's tip over sensor. That is something we have left on every build we have done. It may have been done by someone else at a later date.

The tip over sensor is a very good thing to have for the rare instance that a fuel line bursts when you are upside down. It is a fuel pump cut off switch. All the Yamaha fuel injection quads and bikes have them, they work of a delay like Doug was saying. There will not be a cut out problem on hard turns , or hard hits because of that delay.
Thanks everyone for the responses. Ill get mine in working order. I just wanted to be sure we werent going to have constant cutouts due to it. Just getting all my ducks in a row for the '10 LOORRS season! :)

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Heey! You got your LOORRS number! Nice! Mine is 801!

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Well I guess I have one after all!!!! I thought Jason took them out. My car wheelies great @ 90% vert:D and still keeps a running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000