The Mad Viking Project

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
Well, Ohlins is out for this project. For the first time in many, many, projects and builds, they implied that they are not interested. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

No worries though! I've done a few builds using King Shocks. The order has been placed, and King will supply some nice 2.5 x 8" coil overs for both ends. They will have the IBP/Internal Bypass Needles, compressions adjuster, and finned reservoirs. I love companies that say YES, we can do that for you.

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
I went with King's stock blue colors... there are more important places to spend money on this project.

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
While Yamaha has a very well designed and strong semi floating hub assembly (the nut on the end is an M24 x 1.5), I've seen enough of of you guys lose wheels to have me contemplate building a full floating system. A little searching turned up some appropriately sized parts, which also happen to be oem. The CV Joint has a 79mm cup OD and a stub shaft that has 24mm minor diameter with 26 splines. I am also aware if some CV joints w/ 90mm cups, but it might be a little overkill (weight). The spindle has a 40mm OD and a needle bearing for the stub shaft to ride on. Here's the NTN 82 series joint next to the stock 75 series.

Attachments

Baxter

Sep 24, 2011
OHIO
Very cool build! Do you have the whole clutch assembly including the basket for sale?Definitely fallowing this one.

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
I'm not selling those stock parts just yet, but I'll let you know when the time comes.

Here's a picture of the rear King IBP Shocks being fit. The upper rear mount had to be moved upward almost 3" to accommodate the length of the new dampers, Yamaha left plenty of room. Measurements and calculations are always key, but a clear tube allows easy viewing to see exactly at what point bypass needle is at during wheel travel... what can say, I like visuals. I may install a slightly longer needle to bring in the bypass a little sooner.

Attachments

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Good question. According to his profile page he was on the website today.

Aceman

Oct 3, 2015
This engine is just what the viking should of had, i own a nytro with a turbo, the engine is awesome. Would be even beter if this would fit in a new Wolverine

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
It's still on, just slow moving due to other projects. The YXZ 1000R introduction has fanned the flames..... The YXM 1049 will live!

FWIW, the Wolverine chassis is pretty much a Viking. The largest differences are the narrower body, DOHC engine, and longer rear A-arms for less scrub. The front suspension is the same, other than the high clearance lower arms.

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
Here's an idea that's continues mulling around in my head, some input on it will be great. As mentioned in the first post, the Vector power steering uses the same motor/actuator assembly as the Grizzly Quad, the assist curve in the steering ECU is the only difference. If this was fit up to the MadViking, it will essentially enable a half turn steering system.. because you know what sucks... spinning that damn steering wheel back and forth in the woods. The rack and pinion could be removed, and replaced by the snowmobiles steering linkage... which is a traditional center link system, with pitman/idler arms and a drag link being used to connect the steering motor. Other than ensuring proper geometry, overloading the motor at the 1/2 turn ratio is a slight concern. I'll add more to this shortly... but for now, here's a pic of the snowmobile steering system. It's fairly stout, has needle bearings in in the pitmans (with spots cast in for grease zerks even), adding double shear to every joint would be a snap.yxmsnowsteering.jpg

Last edited:

Aceman

Oct 3, 2015
The YXZ1000r is a great machine, but its not exactly what aggressive trail /mud riders want. Make the triple optional in the viking and wolverine and i will buy tomorrow. You listening Yamaha

Aceman

Oct 3, 2015
Time for some progress report !! Just picked up my 16 wolverine se and love it but its crying for more power, or at least i am. Its good with a few mods, sheeve, PC5 and exhaust tip but more is always better

Aceman

Oct 3, 2015
Excellent. My wolverine needs more power !!! Rode my turbo nytro once this winter, maybe its motor needs a new home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000