All UTV's The future of the sport UTV market

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
So as I posted in a previous thread, I am considering holding out on purchasing a sport UTV. I keep hearing about them breaking down. Broken/bent tie rods, swing arms, joints etc.

It's a disappointment to me that these upgrades the companies are selling/offering "that should already be installed on the vehicle" are not standard. It's also disappointing when Polaris goes from a RZR 900 with 88 hp to a hole 107 hp in the RZR 1000... With that being said, if I knew Can Am was going to be the 1st to grab their balls, build a sport UTV that actually will pop a wheelie without the use of a hill I would purchase 1 without question.

Speaking of wheelies, has anyone seen one of these machines pull a wheelie on flat anything?

I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can express some words of wisdom ;)

Thanks for any input.
Much respect,
RiP

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Why is it disappointing that they went from 88hp to 107hp? Would you rather they didn't uncork their BIGGER engine? lol

Ball joints are going to be an issue as long as we continue to push the envelope with bigger, heavier wheels and tires and continue to drive them as hard as we do. That's why their is a thing called aftermarket. Upgrades to components will need to be made, this is nothing new.

I personally have not broken a tie rod on a machine since I first tested the Buckshot Commander like 2-3 years ago. And when I did break that tie rod it was fully my fault. Tie rods break when drivers do stupid things. Could the tie rods be stronger? Of course, but then that just transfers the weak link to the rack or worse. I don't know about you but if I smash into a hole or hit a rock I would rather be replacing an inexpensive tie rod then a not so inexpensive steering rack.

Wheelie on the street? Why?

To each his own on what he buys. There will always be something to bust balls on in regards to a new machine. Nothing will be perfect for everyone. I will say this, Polaris, Can Am, Kawi, Yamaha, Arctic Cat, Honda, John Deere, etc etc etc all pay attention to our site, this industry and they know what fails, what could fail and they are also solving those issues for current and future models. These are good machines, all of them have some strong positives, some not so good attributes as well but in general we are getting much better machines then we have ever seen.

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
For every machine that breaks something, there are 20 that don't. Drivers break machines! If the manufacturers put all the latest and coolest aftermarket stuff on their machines, the average buyer like me could not afford one. Manufactures aren't stupid....they know what sells!

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
For every machine that breaks something, there are 20 that don't. Drivers break machines! If the manufacturers put all the latest and coolest aftermarket stuff on their machines, the average buyer like me could not afford one. Manufactures aren't stupid....they know what sells!
I agree with most of what you say. Some people will own theirs for the life of the vehicle and never have an issue. But they are sport vehicles and if you use them to max potential in ruts, mud, jumps what have you, eventually your going to bend something at a min. I don't own my own yet but $hit happens.

That's why I am inquiring about stronger aftermarket parts. Especially for those who don't necessarily abuse vehicles, but push them... All it takes is a bad rut and you have a bend or snap.

Thanks,
RiP

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
I understand what you are saying Rip. Kind of like the off road motorcycles on the market today. They are pretty much race ready off the showroom floor and quite capable of enduring most off the things you want to do with them, but then again, there are no longer any other options unless an old man like me buys a kids trail bike. I used to race pro motocross and I cant even get my leg over a modern machine.
I'm just thinking what you are asking for will put the price tag of these machines out of reach of the weekend cruiser, who want a good machine but not a race machine. In my opinion, it looks like you want a race machine off the showroom floor like the motorcycles sold today.
Just think of it this way, you buying from aftermarket companies helps the economy, provides more jobs, and makes you happy with the added performance! Everybody wins!:)

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu3HJexuLz8"]wheeling rhino FIRST EVER - YouTube[/ame]

rhinos been pullin wheelies for years

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
I understand what you are saying Rip. Kind of like the off road motorcycles on the market today. They are pretty much race ready off the showroom floor and quite capable of enduring most off the things you want to do with them, but then again, there are no longer any other options unless an old man like me buys a kids trail bike. I used to race pro motocross and I cant even get my leg over a modern machine.
I'm just thinking what you are asking for will put the price tag of these machines out of reach of the weekend cruiser, who want a good machine but not a race machine. In my opinion, it looks like you want a race machine off the showroom floor like the motorcycles sold today.
Just think of it this way, you buying from aftermarket companies helps the economy, provides more jobs, and makes you happy with the added performance! Everybody wins!:)
for the average person the prices are already out of reach .

chad59

Mongloid Paw - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 23, 2010
Yuma, AZ
Man the prices are alot but you get alot, I got my 09 Teryx for 11.5k. Put long travel 5k, cage 1500, doors 400, seats 700, harnesses 250, bed delete 250, 840 with everything alot, and its not as fast as the "sport" utvs. They even come with power steering! Not saying that I am unhappy with mine but lots of options nowadays for sure

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
Something like this would be nice:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KOY14JuxouE[/ame]

But than again, how much fun would this be!

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5nhAcANDw"]Custom Long Travel Buggy Jump! - YouTube[/ame]

Be fun to have the best of both those worlds :D

Cheers,
RiP

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
for the average person the prices are already out of reach .
I would disagree BC utvs just like anything have an entry level, mid and high level sport models. You can buy a v6 mustang for cheap and then buy a v8 version and if you want to go all out buy a Shelby gt

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
I would disagree BC utvs just like anything have an entry level, mid and high level sport models. You can buy a v6 mustang for cheap and then buy a v8 version and if you want to go all out buy a Shelby gt

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
It all boils down to how much your willing to drop :D

I plan on starting stock with a few upgrades to ensure I don't bend or break something.

5 point seat belt
Skid plate
Tires

Long travel suspension and turbo is going to cost $10,000 lol. I'll be adding the turbo 1st of course. I have to purchase one of these beast 1st :)

Cheers,
RiP

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
That will cost more than $10k in upgades. Closer to $15k.just the lt kit and turbo will be over $10k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
It all boils down to how much your willing to drop :D

I plan on starting stock with a few upgrades to ensure I don't bend or break something.

5 point seat belt
Skid plate
Tires

Long travel suspension and turbo is going to cost $10,000 lol. I'll be adding the turbo 1st of course. I have to purchase one of these beast 1st :)

Cheers,
RiP
...ummm all of the top end Utes come stock with 'long travel suspension.'

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
You sure it's "Long" travel and not "Medium" travel? I've never seen long travels stock on any UTV...

Cheers,
RiP
Yes...18" of travel qualifies as 'long travel.' Particularly when running 28" tires.

steino411

American Pride
Jan 3, 2011
San Diego
You sure it's "Long" travel and not "Medium" travel? I've never seen long travels stock on any UTV...

Cheers,
RiP
What would rip consider long travel on a sxs? Jeez..... My XP has 14" and it soaks up almost anything but the biggest whoops out there. Have you even driven any of these sport SXS's? Maybe you should just buy a trophy truck and get it over with.

Timberdog

Aug 23, 2010
There are no bad sxs's, only drivers who go beyond the machines capabilities. It's mechanical, metal breaks when pushed to its limits. Even Scotty knew the limits of the Enterprise, but Kirk had to push it...lol. Warp factor 9 Mr. Zulu.

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
There are no bad sxs's, only drivers who go beyond the machines capabilities. It's mechanical, metal breaks when pushed to its limits. Even Scotty knew the limits of the Enterprise, but Kirk had to push it...lol. Warp factor 9 Mr. Zulu.
HAHA! I can't wait to see what these vehicles can do. Dad's ranger just isn't appealing to me entertainment wise :)

Cheers!
RiP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000