sxs rack (on top of pickup)

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I have two sxs's, so I built this rack to haul one on top of the pickup. Also great for an out of town trip if its just me (gets around Cali's 55 mph speed limit when towing). I bolted two 2x2"x.120" tubes in the bed, that each have two kickers going down to the bed. The 2x2's also stab into the stock ladder rack pockets, so the weight is shared by the kickers and the bed. Plus, by tying into the ladder rack pockets, a lot less steel is needed in the bed. I then used 1x3x.065" tubing and 1 1/4 .120 wall angle and built two separate racks (left and right). Each weights a little over a hundred pounds, so I can lift them up onto the bed by myself. Four bolts hold each one on, and it takes about 5-10 minutes to put them on or take them off. On the 1x3" I asked for .083 wall, but they gave me .065". But the .065" is working out fine, and keeps the weight down. It fits my wife's rzr4, my Mav, and it'll fit a sxs up to 76" wide so it should be future proofed! I also used some 1 3/4 .095" round tubing where all the tires rest.

superdean

my07rhino
Jun 17, 2009
Hanford, CA
Looks great. These work awesome.

I built a similar one for my Rhino. I made it modular so I can load it in sections by myself and held together with hitch pins. Overall lighter and lower than an overhead camper. Most replies to my post about it though were from people scared of hauling their sxs up there or driving it up there. I used heavy duty 12' folding aluminum ramps on mine.

Mines too short for my now XP4 so I'm selling it or would trade all of it for a Honda 2000 watt generator.

AZmike

Oct 23, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
What kind of rear suspension setup do you have on your truck? I noticed the shocks through the bed but couldn't see anything else?

AZmike

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Here's some more pics of the rear suspension on the truck, and a couple of pics that I got off of Google that I used for ideas on my rack.

Last edited:

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
That is crazy and awesome all at the same time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Desert Fabrications

May 4, 2012
Agua Dulce, Ca.
I like it. The rack is the way to go. Although I ride from my house almost everyday I like to go to some of the local " Legal " riding areas that are just a few miles from me. I built this rack last year so I don't have to hassle the trailer just to go out for a few hours to one of the local riding areas.

Attachments

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000