Yamaha stupid Gorilla's.. neeed HELP!!

bonesguy

Jul 11, 2010
Upland, CA
I snapped the driverside rear on Thanksgiving.. I can't pull on the driver side as there is obviously nothing to pull on! I've been yanking on the Passenger side axle and am about to pull the Rhino off the cart!! I CANNOT get the axle out of the differential!!!! I'm sure a few of you have had this issue before. I now have the whole diff out of the car WTF!!! that locking mechanism that is between the axles inside .. errrr! what to do??

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Pretty common problem with Gorillas. Either you can't get them to stay in the diff, or you can't get them out.

Some have made custom slide hammer tools that will fit over the back of the CV. That probably what you'll end up having to do...

I have heard of a few diffs they could never get the axle out. Ended up ruining the diff housing in the process and had to throw the whole thing away.

Wild Earp

If you do ever get it out of there, for the future, a lot of the racers get rid of the retaining clips, and bolt the two CV cups together, and then run the inner axle ends with no clips. This is mostly for the people that can't keep their CVs from popping out, but it will make it easier the next time you need to fix a broken axle.

bonesguy

Jul 11, 2010
Upland, CA
I forget what it looks lik inside there.. been a while since I've had them apart! so what your saying is bolt the inner cups together with no clips and then put axles in? would'nt that require you to then pull both axles if I were to change out just one?.. (in the future)?

appreciate the input by the way!

bonesguy

Jul 11, 2010
Upland, CA
Actually.... I now have a full set of stock CV's with summers Brothers axles!! Gorillas will be back ups! So I guess its kinda irrelevant but knowledge is Key!!!!

Biohazard58

Apr 28, 2011
chapmanville WV
i had the problem with them sticking in the diff also. the cause is the retaining clip being not centered up. the way i did it is put it in neutral so u can spin the axle then take something that will cause alot of vibration like an air hammer and just hold it on the axle not trying to cut through it or anything just let it vibrate the axle and while doing this have someone spin the axle and push it in and jerk out on it hard a fiew times and it should come out. the vibrating will make the ring move around easyer so it will move into position to come out.

Wild Earp

I forget what it looks lik inside there.. been a while since I've had them apart! so what your saying is bolt the inner cups together with no clips and then put axles in? would'nt that require you to then pull both axles if I were to change out just one?.. (in the future)?

appreciate the input by the way!
Yes, you both the two inner CVs together while they are in the diff. Then you insert the axles into them (with no clips). You can actually change an axle easier, as the inner CV stays on the car, and you just slide the broke axle out, and slip the new one in. Now if you broke an inner CV, yes, you would have to remove both axles to fix.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Yes, you both the two inner CVs together while they are in the diff. Then you insert the axles into them (with no clips). You can actually change an axle easier, as the inner CV stays on the car, and you just slide the broke axle out, and slip the new one in. Now if you broke an inner CV, yes, you would have to remove both axles to fix.
I would never do this.

the inner sleeve has clips between the cv stubs, those are the ones you leave out, NOT the cv axle clips.

you will have to push in then pull like never before to get the other side out, because of the inner sleeve clip

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
i know you got it out already, but i make a slide hammer tool that will pull the inner cv housing out of the diff, without having to yank on the outer cv or the axle nut, which beats up the cv joints. Just fyi for future, i sell it for $175.

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
2 people. load the cv with tension outwards using pry bars, fulcrum point being the face of the diff. then use an air hammer with a mushroom head on the side of the cv. or 3 people, ive done it with 1-3 people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000