Still want to debate the HELMET LAW????

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
We need to stop here. Everyone is right. What is wrong in this scenario is the legislation. We have become a nanny state. We are all adults and as many have said, should be responsible for ourselves, agreed?

We need to stop letting the folks who "choose" to do something that can be construed as dangerous to be allowed to "sue".

Make your choices, but if you don't wear a helmet and expire, good on ya! Your family, heirs, best friends, your dog etc... have ZERO recourse against the manufacture of whatever it is you are riding in, on, with etc... unless you can prove there is a mechanical flaw in workmanship or design. Notice I said "prove". Very subjective and hard to do. There are just as many ways to design a great vehicle as there are Doans pills. (only the older crowd will know that one... LOL!!!)

I also agree that the factory safety equipment should be better, but that comes with a price. It isn't cheap building them stronger, so pony up the dough or DIY when you buy it.

The other reason it's not is because of the sue happy a$$holes. If the mfr puts in 5 points, builds a strong cage, that means they are condoning and encouraging people to use it vigorously. That makes them liable and guess what they don't want to be because they will get what? Yes that's right, SUED!

So everyone should choose, but choose right because you may lose something that you truly love and cherish, yours or someone you love or care deeply about, life.

It's that simple, and yes accidents do happen. What was it mom used to tell us, always be prepared and make sure you have clean underwear on?

I never could figure out what kind of safety equipment that was, but hey, she meant well and tried to teach us a lesson, right?

Use common sense folks, we seem to have a lack of that in our government right now. Everyone's a Lawyer and wants to be known for making a great law at the constituents expense. Vote, become an activist, write your employees (Senator, Congress person, Mayor etc...) and bitch and complain!

Remember,

Only YOU can prevent STUPIDITY!

peace...:)

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I get it your protecting the "sport" I get it...it pays your bills...But when they come for your guns because it might save just 1 life...you gonna roll over that easy? One more liberty taken...that MY point

lol and there it comes back to ME SUPPRTING YOUR RIGHTS BEING TAKEN AWAY.. Come on Jim, its NOT ABOUT ME and YOUR RIGHTS!! That was not what this thread is. That thread was last year and I was and still am on your SIDE!!!!

The thread is about the HELMET about your HEAD and about the INJURY. Nothing more, nothing less.. This is why I don't get into political debate because rarely can you have a debate where people end up agreeing. I have already said now ATLEAST 10 TIMES that I agree on our rights being OUR RIGHTS and the law should be a CHOICE!! I AGREEEEEEEEEE

LAWS SUCK - BUT BRAIN DAMAGE SUCKS MORE! Thats my point..

Yoshimura

Dec 19, 2012
Well said Dan!!!! I want you on my team when the zombie apocolypes comes. :)
We need to stop here. Everyone is right. What is wrong in this scenario is the legislation. We have become a nanny state. We are all adults and as many have said, should be responsible for ourselves, agreed?

We need to stop letting the folks who "choose" to do something that can be construed as dangerous to be allowed to "sue".

Make your choices, but if you don't wear a helmet and expire, good on ya! Your family, heirs, best friends, your dog etc... have ZERO recourse against the manufacture of whatever it is you are riding in, on, with etc... unless you can prove there is a mechanical flaw in workmanship or design. Notice I said "prove". Very subjective and hard to do. There are just as many ways to design a great vehicle as there are Doans pills. (only the older crowd will know that one... LOL!!!)

I also agree that the factory safety equipment should be better, but that comes with a price. It isn't cheap building them stronger, so pony up the dough or DIY when you buy it.

The other reason it's not is because of the sue happy a$$holes. If the mfr puts in 5 points, builds a strong cage, that means they are condoning and encouraging people to use it vigorously. That makes them liable and guess what they don't want to be because they will get what? Yes that's right, SUED!

So everyone should choose, but choose right because you may lose something that you truly love and cherish, yours or someone you love or care deeply about, life.

It's that simple, and yes accidents do happen. What was it mom used to tell us, always be prepared and make sure you have clean underwear on?

I never could figure out what kind of safety equipment that was, but hey, she meant well and tried to teach us a lesson, right?

Use common sense folks, we seem to have a lack of that in our government right now. Everyone's a Lawyer and wants to be known for making a great law at the constituents expense. Vote, become an activist, write your employees (Senator, Congress person, Mayor etc...) and bitch and complain!

Remember,

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Remember,

REP POINTS... Great post!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Here is the point I was trying to make in posting this:

Not wearing a helmet can F-You UP BAD!

THIS WAS NOT ARCTIC CAT's FAULT!

Even a slow roll over can cause injury to your dome if not protected.. FACT (slow tip over, sharp pointy rock in window opening, SPLAT)

When you see a photo like this, it has to make you think!!

Everyone thinks they are invincible and so utterly responsible when driving off-road until someone ELSE causes them to evade and crash!! Think of what YOU CANNOT CONTROL!

THAT SH>> LOOKS LIKE ITS HURTS!

Chicks dig scars, but not brain damage!!!

If I can save one friend by making him wear a helmet on a ride I am leading, then its all worth it!!

Some parents are idiots, put kids in cars and drive like morons. Kids can't make their own decisions but if the law makes you put a helmet on them then maybe the kids who can't protect themselves can be saved!!

Just some thoughts I have on this subject as I am 50/50 on support of the law. I hate having to wear a helmet when cruising around camps and what not, but its stupid to go "riding" and not have one on.
I understand your side, trust me, I feel pretty confident in my abilities as well, and have driven my machines well beyond their limits with no helmets and no injuries (thank God). BUT, you can't say that a properly built cage is the end all. Again, I point out, a properly built cage with improperly buckled in passeger/driver is just as dangerous. A built cage with a loose cannon driver flying off the road and sending the car into a barrel roll does no good to his head as he is flopping around.

I know your point is that its YOUR RIGHT as an American to make choices for yourself. I 100% agree, and again, I sincerely agree with you. BUT, the law will prevent injuries, and if some people leave the state of CA or quit off-roading because of it then so be it, that too is their choice.
I did not post the photo to in some way imply that the govt taking away your right to choose was the right thing. I posted it so that some who complain about wearing one may see that MAYBE, just MAYBE, it could be a good thing for them.

Look, my step brother was killed over 10 years ago in a motorcycle accident in Arizona. He died of head trauma. Guess what, he had no helmet. That was HIS choice, but it was not the choice of my families for him to go out and DIE of HEAD TRAUMA. Maybe the helmet wouldn't of saved his life, but I don't need some stupid govt study to tell me that it is or isn't safer to wear one. Common sense tells me that helmets prevent injuries and in many cases DEATH.

I invite you all to watch this video of Zach Bell at the Dallas SX race this year. This is extreme, but it proves my point perfectly at how helmets do save lives and prevent injuries. Zach Bell was able to walk away and live to race another day!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QkGZXAplj5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/V6HsdgV-3PA

Again, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree that we should all have a right to wear one or not, but that wasn't my point in this thread. The point is, SHIT happens that sometimes you can't control and a helmet, just like a proper roll cage and a pair of harnesses work together to help protect you. If you don't agree then you are either in denial, or maybe you already hit your head too hard... lol
In California ATV/MX and now UTV have to wear helmets when being operated.

I was not comparing a motorcycle to a UTV. I was drawing a comparison between head protection and how helmets do help.

I too think its stupid that someone has to wear a helmet when cruising or working with them.

Anyway, I'm not agreeing with our rights being taken away from us, I never was and like I have repeated the post was not to debate that. The point was to show that wearing a helmet can and in many cases is a good thing.
Liberal? lol As I clean my gun listening to Hank Jr. on this wonderful morning...

More like someone who understands that how to read in that I am not ARGUING THE FRICKEN CHOICE!!! I get it!! YOU ALL WANT THE CHOICE, I WANT THE CHOICE TOO! My point is, helmets have a place, harnesses dont save you from head injuries ALL OF THE TIME.

I will say it again, in regards to the CHOICE. If 'ITS YOUR TIME" to die and you do so by an injury that a helmet could have prevented, don't you think its a selfish way to go? Maybe because I am married with 3 kids I see it differently? Maybe I am on crack, and maybe I am a f'n helmet liberal. But I can tell you one thing, you wont see me bleeding from the head like the guy in post #1, and thats MY CHOICE. The law says you have to wear a helmet, it also says no talking on cell phones while driving, you must wear a seatbelt, and you must drive with your lights on at night.... CHOICES CHOICES CHOICES... Make your own decision, its only a ticket.... or is it? I can tell you this much, from this point forward (Jan. 1st 2013) I refuse to feel sorry for anyone in CA who sustains a head wound due to not having a helmet on...

You can paint me the bad guy, its all good. But I will stand firm that a HELMET IS A GOOD THING. Taking the CHOICE to wear it away SUCKS!!!! BUT, there are a lot off kooks out there who need to be told what to do for their own sake, just the way it is. Like it or not, its reality.
I am picking up what your are putting down. See, I thought that you were arguing the validity of wearing a helmet in the context that it does serve a purpose when it comes to safety. Again, I will say it a 5th or 6th time. My point of the OP was to show that helmets have their place in this sport. It was not to validate the taking away of ones rights or choice to wear one. If you DGAF about your head, then why should I? Thats the way I see it. BUT, as a guy who now lives and breathes this sport, I want to see it grow forever. For some of you a rule like this comes into place and you can be like, F-It, I'm out, selling all the UTV's and moving on. Well for a guy like me it doesn't work that way. I want to see this sport live and thrive so I can continue to make my living doing what I love and so that my kids and kids kids can enjoy this sport in the future.

Helmets I am sure are just the first of a handful of laws that will be passed that we all will hate but at the end of the day, wearing a helmet should not force you to quit the sport or lessen the fun of riding for a day in a UTV.
lol and there it comes back to ME SUPPRTING YOUR RIGHTS BEING TAKEN AWAY.. Come on Jim, its NOT ABOUT ME and YOUR RIGHTS!! That was not what this thread is. That thread was last year and I was and still am on your SIDE!!!!

The thread is about the HELMET about your HEAD and about the INJURY. Nothing more, nothing less.. This is why I don't get into political debate because rarely can you have a debate where people end up agreeing. I have already said now ATLEAST 10 TIMES that I agree on our rights being OUR RIGHTS and the law should be a CHOICE!! I AGREEEEEEEEEE

LAWS SUCK - BUT BRAIN DAMAGE SUCKS MORE! Thats my point..

Quoted for CLARITY... In case anyone else didn't catch the part where I agree that we should all have a choice and that it sucks that the right to wear a helmet or not was taken away.. again.. :rolleyes:

Makin' Trax

Got Shocks? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 27, 2009
I don't get it Joey you liberal bastard, why would you support these people.......................LMFAO! I completely agree with you!!!

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
I'm sure cruising around all mellow and stuff is safe but what about the other guy who crashes into you totally out of control? I wonder how many times a person has been killed in an off roading accident when it wasn't even their fault? I know I'm good but what about all the dumb asses out there? You never know whats coming around the next turn so it can't be worse to wear a helmet than possible death. :confused: Sometimes it's good thing to make Common Sense laws or do you believe it's your right to drink and drive or to shit on the counter at Vons? :eek: I would hope not!

LouisianaRebel

Evil gun owner
Mar 8, 2013
I'm sure cruising around all mellow and stuff is safe but what about the other guy who crashes into you totally out of control? I wonder how many times a person has been killed in an off roading accident when it wasn't even their fault? I know I'm good but what about all the dumb asses out there? You never know whats coming around the next turn so it can't be worse to wear a helmet than possible death. :confused: Sometimes it's good thing to make Common Sense laws or do you believe it's your right to drink and drive or to shit on the counter at Vons? :eek: I would hope not!
I'm sure driving around all mellow and stuff is safe but what about the other guy who crashes into you totally out of control? I wonder how many times a person has been killed in a car accident when it wasn't even their fault? I know I'm a good driver but what about all the dumb asses out there? You never know whats coming around the next turn so it can't be worse to wear a helmet than possible death. :confused: Sometimes it's good thing to make Common Sense laws or do you believe it's your right to drink and drive or to shit on the counter at Vons? :eek: I would hope not!

Can be applied to many things

I'm sure shooting targets and stuff is safe but what about the other guy who snaps and kills people totally out of control? I wonder how many times a person has been killed in shooting when it wasn't even their fault? I know I'm safe with guns but what about all the crazy people out there? You never know whats they will do so it can't be worse to ban all guns than possible death. :confused: Sometimes it's good thing to make Common Sense gun laws or do you believe it's your right to drink and drive or to shit on the counter at Vons? :eek: I would hope not

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
It's not taking away your rights its protecting your rights and yes anyone can twist words to make a point! good one! Driving a utv without a helmet is not a constitutional right is it? But I get what your trying to say

Makin' Trax

Got Shocks? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 27, 2009
................... I wonder how many times a person has been killed in shooting when it wasn't even their fault? I know I'm safe with guns but what about all the crazy people out there? ..................................... Like V.P. Dick Chaney?? LOL

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Back to rights.... Holy crap..

I feel the same as all of you god fearing, red blooded, proud Americans about Guns and gun rights, and thankfully we have the 2nd amendment to protect that (for now). But that's where it stops. Because unless you can show me where in the constitution it says we have the right to not wear a helmet in an off road vehicle capable of 70+ MPH then I won't personally draw that comparison to fight for that argument.

Again, the point of the thread was to debate the validity of wearing a helmet from a safety standpoint in how it pertains to the new law. NOT whether or not the law is with or without merit.

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
WOW! I stopped reading after page 4. I don't think that the purpose of this thread is to once again debate the helmet law. I think it's just a little ol' picture to show the ignorant what can happen if you strap into an off road race vehicle (that's really what we're driving) and don't wear a helmet. That is one narly nasty picture. Try to have an open mind, and go back and stare at the picture in the open. See if maybe, just maybe, you can understand why a helmet is a good thing.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
WOW! I stopped reading after page 4. I don't think that the purpose of this thread is to once again debate the helmet law. I think it's just a little ol' picture to show the ignorant what can happen if you strap into an off road race vehicle (that's really what we're driving) and don't wear a helmet. That is one narly nasty picture. Try to have an open mind, and go back and stare at the picture in the open. See if maybe, just maybe, you can understand why a helmet is a good thing.
Thank The Lord someone else gets it!

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I was always carefree and dangerous. Hell I used to play hockey without a cup or a helmet. Not good choices, but I made 'em, and I have the battle scars to prove them. So do a number of my former teammates, oops!

As we grow older we become more conservative. $hit starts hurting just getting out of bed. When you get hurt it takes 3-4 times as long to heal, if you do.

Helmets and all safety equip can only provide you better protection.

The $1000 of safety gear my son had on when he was hit head on riding his dirt bike by a dune buggy is testament to that. I'm glad I made him wear it all because if it was up to him, he probably wouldn't have, and I would have been paying for a funeral with the money I saved, not good.

Like the nurse told us in the ICU, we can fix broken bones, we can't fix broken brains, wear a helmet folks, but then again it's YOUR choice...

Yeah that's right, you don't have to and choose to get the ticket and do the time or pay the fine, it's still a choice, and yours to make, law or no law.:)

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
When you go out and HURT yourself because you didnt protect yourself...who does it effect? YOU. When you drink and drive whos effected? Other people in public.
Have you considered that maybe the law was passed because people made the CHOICE to NOT wear a HELMET, crashed, got hurt/killed and now it is in fact not just affecting that individual but now ALL of us because of it???? Your actions don't always just affect you, sure you may die and be removed from the fallout but then many after you very well could be held accountable for your personal CHOICE. We are not wearing helmets because of nothing. I am sure at one point it wasn't a law to not drink and drive, I know at one time seat-belts weren't required. Shit changes because shit happens.

Pokahpolice

Sep 4, 2011
Standish, Maine
We all bitch and moan when we think our rights are being violated but driving our toys on public land is not a right, it is a priviledge provided by the government which can be revoked at any tme. Therefore you have to follow there rules. Your "rights' are not being violated when they require helmets or harnesses since the property belongs to them. Dont give the land grabbers more ammo by proving to them how irresponsible you are by not being willing to protect yourselves in lieu of whining about your "rights".
This is such a ridiculous statement! The property belongs to us. Government "for the people, BY THE PEOPLE"!! Public land does not belong to the government, it belongs to the public...which is you and I.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000