Still want to debate the HELMET LAW????

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
I didn't read all the posts, but here is my opinion...if your 18 years of age, then its your f'in decision if you want to wear a helmet or not. If your under 18 years of age, then you are not a legal adult (in this countries laws) and you must wear a helmet. Under the age of 5 should ONLY require a light bicycle helmet, not a heavy DOT approved...

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Lets not debate what is right or wrong instead take an extra moment to look at our sport and acknowledge the inherent danger in what we love. Use this example as a decision making tool. I challenge all to remember this all too typical scenario when we decide to spend our money. Perhaps we should invest in harnesses before an exhaust. Buy a roll cage before a stereo an cool wheels. Maybe good helmets before a graphics kit.

The manufacturers will change only when we demand safety over horse power and wheel travel. In the end our pocket books have all the power; the government and industry will follow what our wallets demand. To think otherwise, while sometimes ignorant or even noble, is the reason we are in the situation we are in.

Just my humble opinion.
AMEN...

It makes me wonder.. did people throw this big of a fit when the helmet law for ATV's were passed?

Do ATV riders think wearing a helmet is lame, and against their rights, etc etc??? I have never ONCE in my life ever heard a MX or ATV rider complain that they have to wear a helmet before they go ride in the desert.

I do remember when California passed the helmet law for motorcycles on the street. But again, I think its a smart law coming from a guy whose step brother was KILLED due to head trauma in a motorcycle accident. Helmets don't prevent all injuries, but if they prevent one, isn't it worth it? Again, I understand its the CHOICE people are pissed about, but I want to hear, is YOUR CHOICE more important than the choice your family or friends would make for you? If I was to see my wife go off in a UTV for a ride, and she went off and wrecked and smashed her head and was injured or worse, I would feel guilty for not telling her to put a helmet on. I dunno, I guess I just see it differently.

Bebe

Access Advocate
Jul 27, 2012
Auburn, CA
Yep... I will.

It should be a choice - Motorcyclists do not have to wear them on public lands, ATV's/UTV's do.

UTV's have cages w/belts...moto's and ATV's do not.

Golf carts in many communities can drive on public roads, with full size vehicles, and they are not required to wear helmets, but Motorcycles do?

The Law as written is bass-akwards.

Choice - if you die because you didn't wear a helmet when it was appropriate - you are responsible for your family's loss.

Reactions: 1 person

T-wrecks

Apr 7, 2011
Corona CA
Comparing Motorcycles/Atv's to Utvs is like apples and oranges. UTV's are meant to keep you in the vehicle during a crash. Motorcycles and ATV's throw you from the vehicle during a crash. It's not fair to compair them on any level.

Had ATV's or Motorcycles had the internet when helmet laws were passed for them thier would of been just as much uproar about it back then. The problem is groups didn't have an easy way to unite against it as we do today.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
I didn't really read all of the posts thoroughly here but here's my .02. It's not the gov'ts business to tell me or my kids that we must wear helmets. Pound sand if you think you know whats best for me. You don't, you are not my mother. If you want to where body armor then I encourage you to. If you ride in your chonies I say great. It's no more my place to tell you as it is yours to tell me. I'll not get in a pissing match with anyone about this because any other line of thinking is wrong and without good moral standing.

Maybe that couple in the Rhino should have been wearing some sort of leg protection too. Do we need another law to require that? Of course not, that would be idiotic. How many people do you see mining for gold in the desert by Cal City using UTVs for vehicles? Do they need helmets? Of course not, that would be idiotic. Do we need a law against jumping UTVs too? Of course not that would be idiotic. Riding in the rocks were a tire may come off the ground, you know it is safer if all 4 are in contact with the ground, do we need a law in regard to that too? Of course not, again idiotic. You know what though? There will be people calling their reps giving their support.

The problem is the same old crap, responsibility. If someone is being a moron and buzzing around drunk and as a result someone is hurt, it is the gov't job to come down on that person in a way that person will never forget or repeat that mistake. This is a problem across society. It's easier to let the person off easy and let them continue in their ways than it is to physically beat them into sensibility. When word gets out among thieves that you recieve 50 lashings or whatever for a first offense you can bet your last dollar that behavior slows down. Who pays? The people they will continue to harm. This another example of a responsibility gov't has and is failing at. Why would you trust them to make judgement on your safety?

So go ahead and call you reps and tell them you support any new law. Not a helmet law, any new law, and watch them continue to chip further and further away at our liberty to live as we wish. There is no way that attitude is going to save anything, not a damn thing including JV. They will take it at some point, because there will be people calling their reps saying they support it.

Wow, looks like someone's up late and can't sleep:eek:

Oh, correct me if I'm wrong but helmets are not required for off road motorcycle riders in crazytown (California). At least thats what they tell me at the gate into Hungry Valley.:rolleyes:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
In California ATV/MX and now UTV have to wear helmets when being operated.

I was not comparing a motorcycle to a UTV. I was drawing a comparison between head protection and how helmets do help.

I too think its stupid that someone has to wear a helmet when cruising or working with them.

Anyway, I'm not agreeing with our rights being taken away from us, I never was and like I have repeated the post was not to debate that. The point was to show that wearing a helmet can and in many cases is a good thing.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
AMEN...

It makes me wonder.. did people throw this big of a fit when the helmet law for ATV's were passed?

Do ATV riders think wearing a helmet is lame, and against their rights, etc etc??? I have never ONCE in my life ever heard a MX or ATV rider complain that they have to wear a helmet before they go ride in the desert.

I do remember when California passed the helmet law for motorcycles on the street. But again, I think its a smart law coming from a guy whose step brother was KILLED due to head trauma in a motorcycle accident. Helmets don't prevent all injuries, but if they prevent one, isn't it worth it? Again, I understand its the CHOICE people are pissed about, but I want to hear, is YOUR CHOICE more important than the choice your family or friends would make for you? If I was to see my wife go off in a UTV for a ride, and she went off and wrecked and smashed her head and was injured or worse, I would feel guilty for not telling her to put a helmet on. I dunno, I guess I just see it differently.

Good god Joey.....you are starting to sound like a liberal. You are strapped into a seat with a seat belt and what should be a "solid structure" around you on a motorcycle or atv, if crash on a bike or atv you are coming off that bike or ATV and there is no telling what will happen. When you are strapped into a vehicle with a roll cage a safety belts a helmet should NOT be a requirement.

I am sorry to hear about your brother, but another look on life is...when its your time to go....it your time to go. If my card were to be pulled on a day that I was out in my rhino and I wadded it up and died...I would hope my family would sit back and say what if??? Maybe if?? I would want them to know at least I went out doing what I loved.

One more point I have here..If helmets are manditory....when are neck restraints going to be? I dont see you wearing a neck restraints.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Liberal? lol As I clean my gun listening to Hank Jr. on this wonderful morning...

More like someone who understands that how to read in that I am not ARGUING THE FRICKEN CHOICE!!! I get it!! YOU ALL WANT THE CHOICE, I WANT THE CHOICE TOO! My point is, helmets have a place, harnesses dont save you from head injuries ALL OF THE TIME.

I will say it again, in regards to the CHOICE. If 'ITS YOUR TIME" to die and you do so by an injury that a helmet could have prevented, don't you think its a selfish way to go? Maybe because I am married with 3 kids I see it differently? Maybe I am on crack, and maybe I am a f'n helmet liberal. But I can tell you one thing, you wont see me bleeding from the head like the guy in post #1, and thats MY CHOICE. The law says you have to wear a helmet, it also says no talking on cell phones while driving, you must wear a seatbelt, and you must drive with your lights on at night.... CHOICES CHOICES CHOICES... Make your own decision, its only a ticket.... or is it? I can tell you this much, from this point forward (Jan. 1st 2013) I refuse to feel sorry for anyone in CA who sustains a head wound due to not having a helmet on...

You can paint me the bad guy, its all good. But I will stand firm that a HELMET IS A GOOD THING. Taking the CHOICE to wear it away SUCKS!!!! BUT, there are a lot off kooks out there who need to be told what to do for their own sake, just the way it is. Like it or not, its reality.

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
We all bitch and moan when we think our rights are being violated but driving our toys on public land is not a right, it is a priviledge provided by the government which can be revoked at any tme. Therefore you have to follow there rules. Your "rights' are not being violated when they require helmets or harnesses since the property belongs to them. Dont give the land grabbers more ammo by proving to them how irresponsible you are by not being willing to protect yourselves in lieu of whining about your "rights".

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
in regards to neck restraints... I am also 50/50 on these. I think they are good if you wear a helmet period BUT in a recreational setting I do think they do more harm then good as they severely limit mobility. That to me increases danger and risk. I injured my neck severely way back when in a sand rail accident where I was wearing a helmet! My head was looking hard right when we smashed into the face of a dune and it messed me up. A neck restraint would have prevented the injury because 1. it would have supported the additional weight of the helmet and 2. I would not have been able to have my head turned to the right like it was.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
We all bitch and moan when we think our rights are being violated but driving our toys on public land is not a right, it is a priviledge provided by the government which can be revoked at any tme. Therefore you have to follow there rules. Your "rights' are not being violated when they require helmets or harnesses since the property belongs to them. Dont give the land grabbers more ammo by proving to them how irresponsible you are by not being willing to protect yourselves in lieu of whining about your "rights".
Wait..Im irresponsable for not wearing a helmet? I know my car was built to withstand a high speed crash is yours? Another liberal:cool:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Your car was built to withstand a high speed crash, we get it, your cage is strong, you know how to wear a belt... but guess what, unless your ironman, your head's gonna split open like a melon if it hits the roll cage or a rock or whatever in the high speed crash. Its not about the cage or belts, its about your fricken SKULL and other hard objects that find their way into the cab as well.

Did you guys see the pic that Jesse James posted up during his pre run for the San Felipe 250?? He was flying down a wash, having a good ol' time in his pre runner, caught the side of his truck into a big ol' ocotillo or whatever cactus, it smashed his billet mirror and sent it flying into the cab luckily only causing a somewhat minor wound which did need to be stitched up. He could have lost an eye or worse... thats unforeseen, you dont think that pre runner is built better or as good as your UTV? I doubt he will be pre-running without a helmet in the future...

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
in regards to neck restraints... I am also 50/50 on these. I think they are good if you wear a helmet period BUT in a recreational setting I do think they do more harm then good as they severely limit mobility. That to me increases danger and risk. I injured my neck severely way back when in a sand rail accident where I was wearing a helmet! My head was looking hard right when we smashed into the face of a dune and it messed me up. A neck restraint would have prevented the injury because 1. it would have supported the additional weight of the helmet and 2. I would not have been able to have my head turned to the right like it was.
This is my point... The added weight of the helmet is going to cause these problems, as well as reduce you ability to hear what is coming at you from the side and rearof the vehicle and reduce your vision to only what is in front of you. I personaly think this is going to cause more accident in our recreational areas as these same dumb shits that got us this new law dont pay good enough attention as it is. I am not debating the fact that a helmet can and will save your mellon, but I dont think its right in a vehicle that you are strapped into with limited vision and mobility as it is.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Your car was built to withstand a high speed crash, we get it, your cage is strong, you know how to wear a belt... but guess what, unless your ironman, your head's gonna split open like a melon if it hits the roll cage or a rock or whatever in the high speed crash. Its not about the cage or belts, its about your fricken SKULL and other hard objects that find their way into the cab as well.

Did you guys see the pic that Jesse James posted up during his pre run for the San Felipe 250?? He was flying down a wash, having a good ol' time in his pre runner, caught the side of his truck into a big ol' ocotillo or whatever cactus, it smashed his billet mirror and sent it flying into the cab luckily only causing a somewhat minor wound which did need to be stitched up. He could have lost an eye or worse... thats unforeseen, you dont think that pre runner is built better or as good as your UTV? I doubt he will be pre-running without a helmet in the future...

Another un fair comparison....pre running a race VS a trip to the dunes. Sure his pre runner is built to good enought spec....but he didnt smash his skull because of a roll over or hit his head on something in the car

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
This is my point... The added weight of the helmet is going to cause these problems, as well as reduce you ability to hear what is coming at you from the side of rear and reduce your vision to only what is in front of you. I personaly think this is going to cause more accident in our recreational areas as these same dumb shits that got us this new law dont pay good enough attention as it is. I am not debating the fact that a helmet can and will save your mellon, but I dont think its right in a vehicle that you are strapped into with limited vision and mobility as it is.
I am picking up what your are putting down. See, I thought that you were arguing the validity of wearing a helmet in the context that it does serve a purpose when it comes to safety. Again, I will say it a 5th or 6th time. My point of the OP was to show that helmets have their place in this sport. It was not to validate the taking away of ones rights or choice to wear one. If you DGAF about your head, then why should I? Thats the way I see it. BUT, as a guy who now lives and breathes this sport, I want to see it grow forever. For some of you a rule like this comes into place and you can be like, F-It, I'm out, selling all the UTV's and moving on. Well for a guy like me it doesn't work that way. I want to see this sport live and thrive so I can continue to make my living doing what I love and so that my kids and kids kids can enjoy this sport in the future.

Helmets I am sure are just the first of a handful of laws that will be passed that we all will hate but at the end of the day, wearing a helmet should not force you to quit the sport or lessen the fun of riding for a day in a UTV.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Another un fair comparison....pre running a race VS a trip to the dunes. Sure his pre runner is built to good enough spec....but he didn't smash his skull because of a roll over or hit his head on something in the car
You're right, in the dunes a bush hitting the side of your machine hard enough to break a mirror isn't likely but thats another debate for another day. HOWEVER - You make my point! HE DIDN'T ROLL, but HE DID hit his head by something that FLEW INTO THE TRUCK! lol (UNFORESEEN) Helmets aren't just for roll bar protection dude..

Yoshimura

Dec 19, 2012
Good Luck on this one Joey...you can lead a horse to water but you cant make 'em drink. Some of them are just going to drown!

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
You're right, in the dunes a bush hitting the side of your machine hard enough to break a mirror isn't likely but thats another debate for another day. HOWEVER - You make my point! HE DIDN'T ROLL, but HE DID hit his head by something that FLEW INTO THE TRUCK! lol (UNFORESEEN) Helmets aren't just for roll bar protection dude..
I get it your protecting the "sport" I get it...it pays your bills...But when they come for your guns because it might save just 1 life...you gonna roll over that easy? One more liberty taken...that MY point

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000