SR1, whos bulding one?

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Well, Junior.....I'm not sure why you are getting so upset when other people answer your questions. I have a full time job, and can't always be on here.....

When we started putting this class on paper, we asked several key people in "the know", so to speak, about R1 motors and what ranges they would suggest for this class. We ruled out the 2009 because it IS much faster than the previous models - AND it's the most expensive.

We knew that only the people with more money would be able to afford the fastest motor out there, and it was just too big of a power difference anyway. We didn't go with just a single year model, because think of how hard it would be to get a motor for just one year, if everyone started buying them? We wanted to have a range of years that people could purchase easily and readily.

The older motors are less expensive (a goal of our class), and we were told they were still competitive with the 08's. This has proven to be true, actually - I have a 2002. I now have TWO, 2002's, because they are cheap enough that I can have a spare....and because I am not worried about 10hp, not when you are talking 120+ at the rear wheels. It's not like the difference between 45HP and 55HP. It's not like the difference between a single cylinder 800cc and a twin 800cc. Given the slightly better torque in the older motors, it probably evens out pretty nicely. As I've said before, the reason we took my car out of contention for LOORRS early to start production on this kit, was so we would have track time with different year motors, and could compare and see if it was even an issue - BEFORE the 2010 season starts. IF it's deemed to be an issue, and IF the 08's have a noticeable advantage, then steps can be taken before the season starts to compensate for that - such as adding some weight to the 08's.

Besides, other things will make more of a difference than 10HP, like tire size/brand/tread and suspension setup, center of gravity, etc......I never said this was an EXACT spec class. If it were EXACT, then we would all be in the exact same vehicles, made by the exact same person, with the exact same motor. What I have said was....we are making this class as close as possible to a spec class, to achieve the same goal as a spec class.

Like I said, I HAVE an 02.....another SR1 that's up and running has one, too. We also have two people with 08's.....we will be running with each other enough to determine what, if anything, needs to be done to even up the cars. It's worth it to ensure there are plenty of motors to go around, and that there are motors for everyone's budget.

As for the RZR/R1 stuff.....yeah, for this first year we are trying to keep it simple. The reason for this is in the first paragraph of our proposed rules. We are trying to pull the Rhinos BACK into the field - to ADD to the field, not pull cars out of classes that already are up and running fine. The Teryx's and RZR's have great classes to race in and are competitive with each other. The need we saw was with the Rhinos that had all but gone extinct in short course racing. We would like to run just Rhinos/R1's for the first year, to get the class going, and get some experience out there.....then we'd like to open it up to other manufacturers. After a season, we will have a much better idea of what to watch for, what will make the racing better, how to keep things even, and what the series likes/doesn't like.....we just don't want to bite off too much initially.

Weller Racing

I Make Things Go Fast - Official UTVUnderground Sp
Aug 21, 2009
Chandler, AZ
www.wellerracing.com
Alrighty then. Not sure what you mean there, but ok. You quoted my post, I responded. All of this has been bickered back and forth a month ago, and then again two weeks ago. No need to rehash it all again here. Not sure what I put my foot in my mouth about..

Oh, and my SR1 is almost done. Doing all the work myself, and I have a 05 motor, and I guarantee Corry's 02 will kick my ass. But atleast I dont have to worry about replacing a $5000 686 if I blow it up! Im here to have fun.
Hey Ben.....I don't think my 02 will kick your 05's butt! Now...my driving ability, however.......;):D

OHHHH....DANGIT!!! This is Corry.....I was logged in under Jason's name!!! Hate it when that happens!! LOL!!

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Hey Ben.....I don't think my 02 will kick your 05's butt! Now...my driving ability, however.......;):D

OHHHH....DANGIT!!! This is Corry.....I was logged in under Jason's name!!! Hate it when that happens!! LOL!!
Trust me, youll kick my butt. My car is way heavy and still valved for desert, with no sway bars. Dont you remember me "wallowing" around the Elsinore track? :) That was my first time short course racing and the first time jumping the rhino. I was bottoming so hard in the rhythm section, I broke something on the car almost every time I went through there! Ive definetaly got a lot to learn about short course racing this year. Im just glad Ill be able to do as many races as I want and not worry about loosing a motor and ending my season in the middle of March because I cant afford to fix it!

junior quisquis

I AM NOT BLUE - YOU LIFT-YOU LOSE! - UTVUndergroun
Well, Junior.....I'm not sure why you are getting so upset when other people answer your questions. I have a full time job, and can't always be on here.....

When we started putting this class on paper, we asked several key people in "the know", so to speak, about R1 motors and what ranges they would suggest for this class. We ruled out the 2009 because it IS much faster than the previous models - AND it's the most expensive.

We knew that only the people with more money would be able to afford the fastest motor out there, and it was just too big of a power difference anyway. We didn't go with just a single year model, because think of how hard it would be to get a motor for just one year, if everyone started buying them? We wanted to have a range of years that people could purchase easily and readily.

The older motors are less expensive (a goal of our class), and we were told they were still competitive with the 08's. This has proven to be true, actually - I have a 2002. I now have TWO, 2002's, because they are cheap enough that I can have a spare....and because I am not worried about 10hp, not when you are talking 120+ at the rear wheels. It's not like the difference between 45HP and 55HP. It's not like the difference between a single cylinder 800cc and a twin 800cc. Given the slightly better torque in the older motors, it probably evens out pretty nicely. As I've said before, the reason we took my car out of contention for LOORRS early to start production on this kit, was so we would have track time with different year motors, and could compare and see if it was even an issue - BEFORE the 2010 season starts. IF it's deemed to be an issue, and IF the 08's have a noticeable advantage, then steps can be taken before the season starts to compensate for that - such as adding some weight to the 08's.

Besides, other things will make more of a difference than 10HP, like tire size/brand/tread and suspension setup, center of gravity, etc......I never said this was an EXACT spec class. If it were EXACT, then we would all be in the exact same vehicles, made by the exact same person, with the exact same motor. What I have said was....we are making this class as close as possible to a spec class, to achieve the same goal as a spec class.

Like I said, I HAVE an 02.....another SR1 that's up and running has one, too. We also have two people with 08's.....we will be running with each other enough to determine what, if anything, needs to be done to even up the cars. It's worth it to ensure there are plenty of motors to go around, and that there are motors for everyone's budget.

As for the RZR/R1 stuff.....yeah, for this first year we are trying to keep it simple. The reason for this is in the first paragraph of our proposed rules. We are trying to pull the Rhinos BACK into the field - to ADD to the field, not pull cars out of classes that already are up and running fine. The Teryx's and RZR's have great classes to race in and are competitive with each other. The need we saw was with the Rhinos that had all but gone extinct in short course racing. We would like to run just Rhinos/R1's for the first year, to get the class going, and get some experience out there.....then we'd like to open it up to other manufacturers. After a season, we will have a much better idea of what to watch for, what will make the racing better, how to keep things even, and what the series likes/doesn't like.....we just don't want to bite off too much initially.
Thats the bad thing about me I have a short temper. Thats why I race so I can blow off steam. I asked a simple Question because I wanted to make sure on the different years I got a answer and it started to go back and forth. I am sorry Wild Earp if I came off like that. And Corry thanks again for answering the question. If I come up with another one I will just PM you. I will be ordering the motor mount by the end of the month from Weller.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Thats the bad thing about me I have a short temper. Thats why I race so I can blow off steam. I asked a simple Question because I wanted to make sure on the different years I got a answer and it started to go back and forth. I am sorry Wild Earp if I came off like that. And Corry thanks again for answering the question. If I come up with another one I will just PM you. I will be ordering the motor mount by the end of the month from Weller.
It's ok - yes, feel free to PM me anytime.....I always answer them as soon as I see them! :)

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
No but I saw a flyer on a race that is allowing all 1000cc utv's. Its called the xrs1000 racing series. I think they are having it in 2010 and have 4 races and $1000.00 for first place each race not including 50% payback. I will find the flyer and post it.
I think there will be lots of places to race streebike powered UTV's in 2010 - just about every series I know of has a class that they can run in.... :)

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Corry I just need to say that if we could find a way to clone women, you would be the #1 selling female clone in the world! Something about the way you said

"I now have TWO, 2002's, because they are cheap enough that I can have a spare....and because I am not worried about 10hp, not when you are talking 120+ at the rear wheels. It's not like the difference between 45HP and 55HP. It's not like the difference between a single cylinder 800cc and a twin 800cc. Given the slightly better torque in the older motors, it probably evens out pretty nicely."

LOL.....I am playing but you are friggen awesome! Keep fighting the good fight!!!!!! MIA SAYS HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Nick

Un Banned - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 3, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Well i know there are at least 3 series that are allowing the SR1s to race and more will follow. I think this class will be pretty mega, and its going to make for some awesome and exciting racing next year. Cant wait to get out there again!

Cheek

Texas Crazy Horse - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 25, 2009
Buffalo,Tx
did u take the perko disconnect of my boat! i need it back please!!! jk!! looks good man.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
is jason done with my r1 build yet is he still wating on parts
Gary, didn't Jason just talk to you on Friday?

NAATV - I heard - congrats!!! :)

We are busy now, but I have a feeling after X-mas it's going to be a crazy January!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000