SR1 suggested rules are up!

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
For anyone who is interested in possibly racing in our new SR1 class, we have finished our "suggested rules" for the class - you can find them here at:

WellerRacing.com

If only half of the people who have said they want to do this class actually race it, we should have a pretty fun class going into 2010!

Again, this is a preliminary rule set - gotta start somewhere! :D

Reactions: 1 person

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Thanks!!! We need to get some good ones of it on the track - I can't believe we haven't done it yet!! Too busy driving, I guess! LOL!

side x side tv

Banned Por Vida
Aug 5, 2009
ya we do i am picking up a sweet system The "RallyCam 4000" is a complete Video Processor system designed to show two, three, or four pictures when recording, and draws power directly from the vehicle battery via the included 12volt accessory plug, or through hard wiring (using the hard-wire instruction card). This system can last approximately 30 hours with a 16 gig SD card (with DVR in "WEB" mode). The system is built inside a crushproof, waterproof 8.81"x 5.18"x 3.08" (22.39x 13.14x 7.83cm) container for Motorsports and Mobile applications. It includes four 520 TV line color bullet cameras that connect to the side of box and one power cable that connects from the box to the vehicle power. We include two audio options, an external mic or an RCA cable for you to attach your intercom directly into the box. This allows you to record your intercom directly onto the video. The system includes a DVR that will also show in PIP (picture-in-picture) and allows you to record at 720x480 resolution at 30fps. This system records in ASF format.

This system Includes:

* 4 520 TV Line Cameras with 3 foot / 1 meter cables
* DVR (720x480 at 30fps)
* RCA Audio Cable to plug into Intercom System
* External Microphone
* 4 Gig SD Memory Card
* 4 Mounts of choice
* 4 small coupling arms for mounting
* DVR charger
* USB Download Cable
* 12 Volt accessory plug
* Remote Control
* ArcSoft Editing Software (for PC use)

cls 78

Valentine Motorsports - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 3, 2009
Norco
Hey Corry, have you guys determined what you will do with the people that have complete R1 race rhinos already built? I know we talked about this briefly last week. I have a Rpm gearbox. (not a diff) and my motor is mounted in the proper way, just not with the Weller mounting plate.

Mike V

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Since it's a new class, we are trying to keep the class as tight and similar as possible - as a result, we are, for now, only allowing a straight chain drive (no diffs, no FNR boxes) system. We are only doing this to get this class started on the right foot - again, we are trying to bring back a true driver's class. The only way to do this is to make sure that every Rhino is as close to exactly the same as we can get, without requiring them to all be built by the same company or have the same year motor, etc. Will a gearbox make that big of a difference? Maybe not, but if we allow FNR boxes, someone will want us to allow diffs, too. If we say OK to that, someone else will want an RC51 or Hyabusa motor, etc. etc........and there goes the whole point of the class.

If you look at spec classes such as LOORRS Superlites, or the Trophylite classes, these are classes that are attractive to racers because they know that every time they go out on that race track, they all have the same machine - and they all have just as good of a chance at a podium spot as everyone else in their class - the only thing making that difference is their driving ability and luck.

This is our goal for the SR1 class, and to at least make a genuine attempt at reaching it, we will have to be very strict about the rules - at least initially, until we can give the class a good headstart in the right direction.

I hope that makes sense......

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
rc51 isnt much larger than an r1 cc wise. hyabusa is nixed with current desert rule, 1200cc max. do what you want but your gonna be missing out on a few cars. no way im running an r1. im building mine, ill be less than 1200cc's for sure, getting the original more accessible unlimited ( bad name i know ) utv class going. the whole point to a engine swap class is to make it more accessible and affordable to go fast, wont be cheap when the low ends go in the r1's at a higher rate than some other engines. i know guys with engines already, building cars, and others looking for more durable, wider powerband engines. and i dont see a problem with fnr equiped cars.

cls 78

Valentine Motorsports - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 3, 2009
Norco
Not sure how to respond. If I read it right, if I want to race in this series I need to sell my FNR box and buy a Weller direct drive kit? Not an expert, but I don't think there is any advantage to a "LOCKED" FNR box. And I would think you could tech that by simply rolling the wheels while the car is jacked up. If the reverse option is some sort of unfair advantage the linkage can be disconnected, or D'Q if the car backs up under power. Not trying to stir the pot by any means. I was excited that I might have a place to go racing next year, but it doesn't look that promising according to the prelim rules.

Mike V.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in on the weight rule. In most driver classes I have seen the minimum weight was with driver in full race trim. Weighed after the race. Of course this is coming from a fat guy.

Also, spec the fuel and do a fuel check like specifig gravity at the weigh station after the race.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Not sure how to respond. If I read it right, if I want to race in this series I need to sell my FNR box and buy a Weller direct drive kit? Not an expert, but I don't think there is any advantage to a "LOCKED" FNR box. And I would think you could tech that by simply rolling the wheels while the car is jacked up. If the reverse option is some sort of unfair advantage the linkage can be disconnected, or D'Q if the car backs up under power. Not trying to stir the pot by any means. I was excited that I might have a place to go racing next year, but it doesn't look that promising according to the prelim rules.

Mike V.
I agree, I think Reverse will be important for any race, ya never know what dipshit will spin out in front of you, and now your stuck until the course peeps separate you????

CBR 1000's should not be excluded either, heck any 1000 streetbike motor should be allowed. and on pump gas.

I agree with Court, minumum weight with driver is how they should be weighed.

I think your point was to use existing race chassis and put streetbike motors in and you can race this new class.

also I think this class should include 1000cc max CVT class to race together.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
The purpose of this class is pretty much the opposite of an Unlimited class - what we are steering away from is different motors, different drive systems, etc. Just because we are running R1 motors doesn't make this an open or unlimited class - it's actually a very LIMITED class that will attract racers who are looking for a class where the racing will be tight and the competition as close as it can get without actually being a spec class. Will this attract everyone? No. Different people race for different reasons....that's what's great about this sport. But this particular class was designed to be all about the driver, and to give the fans the best racing action we can. :)

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
I think Wellers on the right track for a drivers class. I understand there are other motors/setups that other people may want to run, but in the end, one of them will be better than the rest, and that person will have an advantage. More torque, better weight distribution, reverse etc. If its going to be a "spec" class (or something close to it), it needs to be as close as possible.

The chassis have already been built, and everone does their suspension a little different, so theres nothing you can do there. The only way to make it more even is to limit the motor, and the suspension. A fast car racing against a bunch of other fast cars of equal, will make for some exciting racing for the fans, and the driver.

I personally like the idea, and have been waiting for something like this to come along. There arent many street bike race cars already built, but there are alot of old race rhinos collecting dust from drivers not wanting to keep spending money on the single cylinder, just to be mid pack, and half a lap behind the leader.

I feel in the future, they may be able to add other motors/configurations, as long as they are made as close as possible with limits like added/reduced weight or something. To keep it a drivers class, and not a money/horsepower game.

Hobie164

Hobie164
Aug 25, 2009
Anaheim Hills, Ca
I think this class would be insane. Good racing where everyone, power wise is equal. I know I hate racing M4SX because I cant afford to dump 5K into my rhino to keep up with the leaders but I would live to invest 1500 and go way faster and be sure that I had the motor to race next to 10 or 15 other guys. I am excited to see where this goes and will be keeping my eyes open for an R1

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
this will end up being like the jr1 and jr2 TK's where you can only get your stuff from one place, and that is the part I disagree with.

when you compare all the Liter bikes, no one is really that much faster or has any significant power advantage, this would go to the rear end options also.

Jeffco, RPM or Weller, I would say that no one would have a power advantage here either. Just sayin.

so peeps should be able to run an R1, Kawi, Suzuki, or Honda 1000 power plant. with stock ECU's!!! this would keep things more in check.

if no twin 1000's then so be it, that seems fair.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Oh it is on!!!!!! I am thinking SR1 Fat Rod!!!!!

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DRijYs77s5k&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DRijYs77s5k&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6Im-gtxPmU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6Im-gtxPmU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_DShTRbQe_g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_DShTRbQe_g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
I agree Rog, but it would be easy for them to allow other builders to supply the mounting kits, as long as they meet the same locational specs. Its just too easy for the home builder or other shop to nudge the motor this way or that to get better distribution. By requiring the mount kit to be theirs (atleast to start), it will make sure they are all equal.

I think the big thing is Wellers is making it as easy as possible to make a sort of spec class, with as few deviations as possible to make it a drivers class. That in no way means the class wont grow to a point where other options may be viable. Theres no way to figure out what motors are even, how to legally mount each one, what drive setups are equal or not, etc etc, and get a new class off the ground.

The chassis/suspension and everything else is still all from your builder of choice. Just having to get the mount plates from weller, doesnt make it a one builder only race. Heck, they are selling just the plates, so you can get the location where it has to be, and then you can do the rest and still meet rules. As far as I can tell, you may only have to buy $100 worth of plates from weller and still be legal if you source the rest of the stuff yourself.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
this will end up being like the jr1 and jr2 TK's where you can only get your stuff from one place, and that is the part I disagree with.

when you compare all the Liter bikes, no one is really that much faster or has any significant power advantage, this would go to the rear end options also.

Jeffco, RPM or Weller, I would say that no one would have a power advantage here either. Just sayin.

so peeps should be able to run an R1, Kawi, Suzuki, or Honda 1000 power plant. with stock ECU's!!! this would keep things more in check.

if no twin 1000's then so be it, that seems fair.

You have to start somewhere. And just like with Trophy kart if they didnt start promoting and building those things in the begining then there wouldnt even be an HRT or Pro Kart or baja kart or whatever else out there. So I think what Weller is doing is commendable and if they are going to be putting up the effort, time, and resources to be building this class then they get to do it for the most part their way. Once the class grows and more interest is stirred in regards to using other engines, chassis, and what not then I am almost sure that they will consider rules changes and modifications. Until then I think what they are doing is awesome and is a great way to build a foundation for this new class.

My only feeling is, and I dont know jack about the R1's so please take it with a grain of salt, but I would like to see FNR boxes be allowed ONLY because if these guys building these cars like Mike Valentine (cls78) who already has one, wants to race both short course and desert then a FNR box is important to have. Like mike said the linkage could be disconnected. So that would be my only reccomendation and thought here. But overall I love it and I hope it takes off!

Great work WELLER RACING!!!!!

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Rog, how do figure it will be like the TK's and you can only buy everything from one place?? The only thing we are requiring from us for the class is the mounting plate kit (under $200), and that is just to ensure the same motor position in every chassis. Racers can get their motors from anywhere, their chain drive kits from anywhere, axles, hubs, etc. from anyone. I am not sure why you are saying it will be just like the karts?

Thanks for the support guys...so many people are excited about this class and I can't wait to mix it up with everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000