All UTV's Specific Laws

Pballistic

Aug 30, 2016
Okay, so I saw someone on another forum post a recent article from one of the big UTV magazines claiming that Arctic Cat is going to drop the "Yamaha SR Viper" engine in their new kitty... A 1049cc triple... (We know it won't be over 1000cc)

I know I have heard a lot of talk in the past that different states have laws that restrict the use of engines over 1000cc and I was also told one time, (not sure if it's true) if you go over 1000cc (or 1.0 liter) the machine, because it has 4 wheels, would be subject to air bags and crash testing and so on....

I'm curious to what different laws your state has in place that would not allow such a machine to be sold (I'm not talking about a Pace conversion) I'm just curious, because I know a 1049 is not running in many UTV races because 90% of them have a under 1000cc limit. But what is stopping a mfg from building a monster machine that is a very limited production for only a few areas?

Last edited:

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
The thing that nobody mentions is it is very easy for a manufacturer to take that 1049cc engine and make it a 999cc engine. Change out the sleeves and new pistons, or de stroke it, and bam! 999

3 or 4 manufacturers got together and pushed for the under 1000cc limit and helmet law in Cali. They are not going to go over 1000.

Reactions: Pballistic

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
It wont be over 1000 cc's

The article you're refering to said "we hear" that it will be the sr viper turbo motor (the sr viper is a 1049 cc na motor no oem turbo exists) and the fact they're saying "We hear" adds to the speculation without any facts. No one at AC is speaking to any magazine telling them the specs of any new product out of the ROV division.

Reactions: Pballistic

Pballistic

Aug 30, 2016
It wont be over 1000 cc's

The article you're refering to said "we hear" that it will be the sr viper turbo motor (the sr viper is a 1049 cc na motor no oem turbo exists) and the fact they're saying "We hear" adds to the speculation without any facts. No one at AC is speaking to any magazine telling them the specs of any new product out of the ROV division.
That wasn't what I was getting at, I probably made it confusing having that statement in there though. I'm just wondering what laws each state has for the CC limit...

My thought process maybe a mfg could build a limited run large cc monster that is only available in a few states and basically becomes like the holy Grail of UTVs in the future, but could be had new for much less than a pace conversion...

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
That wasn't what I was getting at, I probably made it confusing having that statement in there though. I'm just wondering what laws each state has for the CC limit...

My thought process maybe a mfg could build a limited run large cc monster that is only available in a few states and basically becomes like the holy Grail of UTVs in the future, but could be had new for much less than a pace conversion...
They could but they wont. too expensive and too much of a headache.

That reference to AC was pure garbage.

Pballistic

Aug 30, 2016
The thing that nobody mentions is it is very easy for a manufacturer to take that 1049cc engine and make it a 999cc engine. Change out the sleeves and new pistons, or de stroke it, and bam! 999

3 or 4 manufacturers got together and pushed for the under 1000cc limit and helmet law in Cali. They are not going to go over 1000.
I missed your comment before. Its very easy to take a little stroke out of a motor... I agree. I don't think we will ever see a machine come through the lines with more than 1000cc engine for a standard model.

I'm just thinking strictly for a monster dune machine though. I know Alex said it would cost too much to produce, but if you take a motor you already have, drop it into a vehicle you already produce, it wouldn't be a ton of work to put something like that out... I don't see AC doing it, they don't have the resources. A company like Polaris or Yamaha or even Can Am has resources with larger displacement engines that they could use...

Think of the Rotax 1630cc engine, 300hp coming from a personal watercraft crammed in a X3...... Something along those lines I think would be relatively easy to fit up and it would be the holy grail of side by sides...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000