so..... now what

Mar 31, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
Well I have been fighting with my rear diff in my 08 RZR for about 6 months now. It works just fine it just leaks oil. I kept chasing leaks, replacing seals, and even tightening the case bolts because a few fell out. Finally I just bit the bullet and pulled the rear diff out of the car and went through it. I found it was missing 2 bolts that hold it together and had broken 2 of the 4 bolts that hold it to the tranny. I took it apart, replaced the seal in between the two cases, re tightened all the bolts to spec, and tapped out the broken bolts and replaced them with new. Thought I was done right? of course not or else I would not be on here!!! Took it for a test spin and THERE IS FLUID SITTING BELOW THE DIFF AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Son of a B***H. I felt all over and it looks like it is coming from between the cases. I torqued all the bolts down to spec made sure the sealing surfaces were clean and out in a new o ring? any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You- DREW

Plumber

Ridin' Dirty
Jun 26, 2012
Apple Valley
Well I have been fighting with my rear diff in my 08 RZR for about 6 months now. It works just fine it just leaks oil. I kept chasing leaks, replacing seals, and even tightening the case bolts because a few fell out. Finally I just bit the bullet and pulled the rear diff out of the car and went through it. I found it was missing 2 bolts that hold it together and had broken 2 of the 4 bolts that hold it to the tranny. I took it apart, replaced the seal in between the two cases, re tightened all the bolts to spec, and tapped out the broken bolts and replaced them with new. Thought I was done right? of course not or else I would not be on here!!! Took it for a test spin and THERE IS FLUID SITTING BELOW THE DIFF AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Son of a B***H. I felt all over and it looks like it is coming from between the cases. I torqued all the bolts down to spec made sure the sealing surfaces were clean and out in a new o ring? any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You- DREW
Buy a new rear diff.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
i bet you have a stress crack in the diff near where the bolts broke, and were retapped. stress cracks sucks, and are small and hard to see. diff warms up, oil thins and leaks through crack. time for a new diff case. :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
Damn stress cracks are small enough to where you cant see them unless the rear diff warms up? that sucks I wonder how they break so easy. I just need the case half's at this point not really looking to buy a whole new diff. But that might be a possibility down the road. Sucks I have to pull that thing out again...

blacksheep10

Jan 12, 2013
They crack right where the pinion bearing bosses thin out to the bottom of the case. It is on the big side (pinion side) case. I flat plated the bottom of mine from the back thicker part to the pinion raised area. The best bet is to buy an 11 and up one for over a grand, or buy a heavy case half style that is already done and be done with it. Depends on what your time is worth, if you can pull it apart, TIG shit to it, cut plates, mess around, reinstall, have it leak, reweld in another spot, make sure bolts don't strip, etc repeat, then $800 sounds like a lot. My buddy got $1100 out of his heavy case half'd 09 diff when he parted his out. 3 of the guys in our group did that case half and fixed their problem. I welded mine, twice, and sold it with a leaking diff ;)

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Welding would be the only way to fix the case you have. Buying the hpd is the best way to go IMO right now you still have good internals you can use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000