SKAT-TRAK 30X13X14 VS STU VIDEO

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Well I know of an example of a couple of new Polaris owners and one got his computer flashed and was running STUs on his car and his buddies car was stock no flash but had Skats on it and would beat up the guy with the flash and STUs so the guy with STUs thought there was something wrong with his car obviously and then they figured out it was the tires. I know cars that are Tuned up at 17 psi and just loving the Skat-Trak 30x11x14 8 paddle. Tims friend with a Apex Turbo built up runs I think 10 paddle. Also depends on what a guy is doing also, not sure if your into boating at all but paddle count and size of blades are similar to propping a boat as there are trade offs more pitch or more blades on a boat can give you one or the other but rarely both so it's either a hole shot or top end so what do ya want. We prop our boats for the big end and if your into skiing you prop for holeshot acceleration but suffer on the Big End. I run an 8 paddle 30x13x14 on my Max with approx 150hp. Seems to work great all the way around. 8 paddle doesn't like slow duning in soft sand, 8 blades for faster dune rides most of the guys in our group run 9 paddle extreme blades on the 4 seat cars.

Sent from my Magic Wand!
What I know about paddles come directly from Drag quad shit....same theory....more paddle = less MPH on the big end, but at the same time you have to have enough paddle to get you outta the hole without having your ass handed to you in the first 60'.

The STU has the holeshot covered, and the skat is better on the big end......however I feel like these turbo cars make enough power to pull that extra scoop on the big end....especially if you put them on a diet by comp cutting.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
What I know about paddles come directly from Drag quad shit....same theory....more paddle = less MPH on the big end, but at the same time you have to have enough paddle to get you outta the hole without having your ass handed to you in the first 60'.

The STU has the holeshot covered, and the skat is better on the big end......however I feel like these turbo cars make enough power to pull that extra scoop on the big end....especially if you put them on a diet by comp cutting.
Had some comp cut, no Bueno. To wide and flat of a surface area. To much drag and resistance.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Had some comp cut, no Bueno. To wide and flat of a surface area. To much drag and resistance.

Sent from my Magic Wand!
Too much drag is def no bueno. Maybe the scat just needs 2 more paddles for thew turbos Or maybe an 8 paddle ripper. That would put a bigger scoop in the sand.

dezertBandito

Sep 16, 2013
Got to use my 30"x14 skats this weekend, first time driving my xp in the dunes so i dont have much to compare it to besides my buddy with stock tires. I did how ever run up olds and seemed to be keeping up with the quads pretty well that impressed me. Also the take off in 4wd was really good, I'm thinking thats thanks to the matched roll out.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Scat 30's made for a 15in wheel or a 14in wheel? or does he have both options available?

I know you don't sell them but figured you might know
I know Tim and Greg are not considering a 15" wheel as the weight really jumps up all the way around as the tires bead gets heavier and the 15" Rims are heavy and none of us think its worth it for the amount of performance that will be lost and there is no gains to be made with the 15" Wheels. Were really about performance and 15" wheels wont do it. Rotating mass kills these cars. I think we are close to the limits as far as Roll out goes.The set Tim and Greg built for me , as they dug through the Tires and found me a set with 95" Roll out and the rear paddle blades might be rubbing a little on super hard G outs.

Your right , you need just enough paddle to push ya good and to much is slower. We have found that the 9 is a good medium for all around use. 10 paddles is a little to much even with the turbo car. Most people also need to understand the Air pressure for the Skats also. These Skats need to be at a minimum of 11 in the rear and 2lbs more in the front to maintain the taller front roll out. I run 12lbs rear and about 15 in the fronts. More air pressure equals more traction due to the Paddle staying ridgid and not flexing backwards under acceleration.

dezertBandito

Sep 16, 2013
Most people also need to understand the Air pressure for the Skats also. These Skats need to be at a minimum of 11 in the rear and 2lbs more in the front to maintain the taller front roll out. I run 12lbs rear and about 15 in the fronts. More air pressure equals more traction due to the Paddle staying ridgid and not flexing backwards under acceleration.
Tim told me at the sand show to run 12>14 early in the season and 10>12 later in the season. I did notice some of the vibration sound as it losses traction on negative G's.. Overall they were pretty great during Halloween weekend.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Your right , you need just enough paddle to push ya good and to much is slower. We have found that the 9 is a good medium for all around use. 10 paddles is a little to much even with the turbo car. Most people also need to understand the Air pressure for the Skats also. These Skats need to be at a minimum of 11 in the rear and 2lbs more in the front to maintain the taller front roll out. I run 12lbs rear and about 15 in the fronts. More air pressure equals more traction due to the Paddle staying ridgid and not flexing backwards under acceleration.

Air Pressure....there is a couple of theories on this and that is def one of them.....

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
What are the other theories Jim?

I started out with my STUs at 9 on the first ride. Tried 11 on the next ride and was much happier with them.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
What are the other theories Jim?

I started out with my STUs at 9 on the first ride. Tried 11 on the next ride and was much happier with them.
It kinda depends where your riding.....but pismo likes a lower air pressure on launch...and a higher pressure will net you some wheel spin and you wont leave the line as hard.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I know Tim and Greg are not considering a 15" wheel as the weight really jumps up all the way around as the tires bead gets heavier and the 15" Rims are heavy and none of us think its worth it for the amount of performance that will be lost and there is no gains to be made with the 15" Wheels. Were really about performance and 15" wheels wont do it. Rotating mass kills these cars. I think we are close to the limits as far as Roll out goes.The set Tim and Greg built for me , as they dug through the Tires and found me a set with 95" Roll out and the rear paddle blades might be rubbing a little on super hard G outs..
Cool, Thx for answering my question.

I know upon looking around at camp rzr, there was a few of the new XPT cars that were running a 15" wheel and an older style VW type paddle tire. Like the STU desert trak or something like that, Front and Rear but the fronts were shaved to more of a mohawk.

I didn't know if it was to get a taller tire under them, or wider, or what the theory was but they looked cool, did look heavier though and big for a rzr.

To clarify, the cars had LT kits on them.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Cool, Thx for answering my question.

I know upon looking around at camp rzr, there was a few of the new XPT cars that were running a 15" wheel and an older style VW type paddle tire. Like the STU desert trak or something like that, Front and Rear but the fronts were shaved to more of a mohawk.

I didn't know if it was to get a taller tire under them, or wider, or what the theory was but they looked cool, did look heavier though and big for a rzr.

To clarify, the cars had LT kits on them.
Last year Tim made and sold some of his Extreme 1350 tires and they are really to much and slow. Good tire for sloe soft stuff but Glamis is pretty well packed down after a few busy weekends. I'm sure a lot run time will kill the Polaris joints to.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
My rollout is 88".
That was the most roll out available last season as most tires were maxed out at 86.
The new Extreme Skat-Trak 30x13x14 and 30x11x14 have 92 to 95 Roll out.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

Turbo925

Dec 5, 2015
Hey so have you measured the roll out on the new Skats in relation to each other? ?
! I was stoked upon ordering my new Skats.... but when I received them and aired them up they looked off from one another so I aired all 4 of them to 12 psi exactly .
Measured the rollout by laying the cloth tape measure on the floor straight then putting tire/wheel vertically over tape and reaching down and pulling tape straight around tire. ONE of the Rollouts measured 1 5/8" longer than the other on the front to front measurements and the rears where 1 1/2 rollout difference.....!!!!!!!!!
I thought well that's absolutely terrible not only will my car handle very poorly it's gonna fry my cv joints and my diffs. I called skat they said it should be around 1/4 - 1/2 rollout difference max!!!! I sent them back to exchange them and called them out on the jacked up tires and now they won't replace them. Very sad but I'm glad I was smart enough to catch the poor quality control issues thats going on here with these tires. I want Skats that match each dimensionally not ones that are 4 different sizes by a huge number... everyone that has them should measure theyre rollout to make sure they are safety run.

Turbo925

Dec 5, 2015
Oh, just to confirm I only called skat directly to get the 1/4"- 1/2" max tolerance.
I purchased from xtreme tire. ....

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Oh, just to confirm I only called skat directly to get the 1/4"- 1/2" max tolerance.
I purchased from xtreme tire. ....
Must be oversight at Extreme or mislabeled rollout since they are matched up rollout wise before being sent out. I'm sure Extreme will get you taken care of if the tires are indeed that much off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000