Short Course tire opinions

NiagaraRzr

Apr 29, 2013
I know there is a tire and wheel section but wanted to keep this thread short course racing specific.

What tire does everyone run and how do you like them, good bad and or otherwise?

The track I run is dirt but gets some pretty big sharp rocks kicked on to it at times. The lighter tires get tore up bad. Looking for opinions of the best short course tire that has sidewalls that will still hold up to the occassional sharp rock.

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Casey

Here is what we have learned for what it's worth, wheel/tire combo short/intermediate course: We race WORCS and found weight matters.

they are both good tires but look at their respective weights, also if true short track a 12" vs a 14" should also be considered.

we decided on the following:

same size all around, 14" vs 12" due to off-road element of WORCS races and found the cerros to be a solid 6 ply in a 14 at 23.5 lbs/ mated to a DWT ultimate beadlock also a light wheel in it's own rights at approx 14 lbs.

stayed with a 26 vs going bigger (sometimes done to help "fill holes" on courses with tire heigth) to get more more wheel spin and rolling mass

total wheel weight is right around 37 lbs.

This has worked well for us......I am certain there are plenty of combos out there but remember horepower to weight ratio matters.....there are not lots of weight areas to play with on our rzr so focus on the few heavy areas like, trailing arms, cage, wheels etc....

not sure if this helps and always remeber this is just one guy's opinion......

NiagaraRzr

Apr 29, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys. I saw several 6 ply tires puntured at the last race so I have concerns. Not finishing a heat race or even worse a final kills your points for the year. I think I would rather be a little slower and finish the race. So lightweight beadlocks and 8 ply tires may be the way to go for me. Anybody have a opinion on 8 ply tires that still work well for short course?

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Casey

One more monkey wrench.......a 6 ply with beadlocks should let you finish the race....but for added insurance you can always use TIre blocks, that dont add much weight......their expense may be more than an 8 ply or even 10 ply like to Moapa's but they do work......

B/R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000