Shelby Anderson to pilot Young Gun car #1805 at UTV World Championship

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Felix Racing is proud to announce Shelby Anderson was chosen to drive the "Young Gun" car #1805 at UTV World Championships. Young Gun is sponsored by Felix Racing and our sponsors. We have rebuilt a Polaris XP 1000 to sponsor young aspiring racers who have not had the opportunity to race in a high profile desert event like so many of us have been fortunate to experience. As in any other sport the future superstars are found in venues easily accessible and affordable like Worcs and local series etc. This program gives them a chance to test their skills without the need for an $80K investment. That's the general idea....

This isn't a factory sponsored big money project. We haven't had or asked for any contributions except from my own sponsors who have been very generous. Beyond that this is a privateer funded project.....we have no obligation to anyone other than to the goal of building a program that helps promote the sport with younger racers. Its not complicated but it is hard work and I'd like to invite the race community to feel welcome to take an active role as the program moves forward. All the things that are involved in your own race programs are needed. Hopefully we can get more sponsor support and expand the program and build better race cars and in particular possibly a Rzr 170 for the youngest of racers.

About Shelby Anderson: Why I chose her......I messaged her out of the blue having never met her and asked if she had ever raced desert. She responded that she had not because it was too expensive and she could barely keep up with her Worcs car. So a few days go by and I asked her if she thought she could handle desert racing and she said "yeah i mean I'm pretty smart about preserving my car so I think I'd do ok". A few more days pass and I do a little research on her past races. We had another conversation I asked about school and she said she majored in sports marketing and promotion. I thought that made sense. It turns out she also has a 3.8 gpa which was very impressive to me since my own daughter was very active in collegiate volleyball at Texas A&M so I knew just how hard it was to keep good grades and juggle all the other responsibilities. At some point I mentioned the idea I had for Young Guns and how I'd like to build a Rzr 170 at which point she said "Oh cool I train some younger racers to drive 170's". So I asked her if she had the chance to race would she be interested and she said she would be. I hadn't announced the Young Gun program yet and i asked her to only discuss this with her close members of her team. She said well that would just be my dad....he's my main guy! Having a daughter just a couple years older than Shelby to hear her say her dad was her main guy gave me goosebumps. It doesn't take long and you know she has the utmost respect for her dad and I liked that about her.

I've spoken to her and Rod her dad several times since and I think she was a great choice. I'm more excited about her race than I am my own. She drew 2nd in the draw I believe and 9th in the class so off to a great start. The car is not finished.....still needs a motor, clutching, shock tuning and all the things that go into what might as well be a new build. I'm so excited for her and I'm really nervous about being able to get a decent car in her hands for her first race. Ironically, I drew 12th so I'm starting right behind her. I hope the last time I see her is at staging and she has an awesome race! I heard she will be pitting nearby Mitch Guthrie and Craig Scanlon so I'm hoping everyone will come out and support her and show her how cool desert racing people truly are.

Anyone that is interested in helping with the program or being involved please feel welcome to contact me at [email protected]

Turner Cycles, H-Town Performance, MRT Tires, Keizer Wheels, NXS Designs, KC Hilites, Desert Craft, Throttle Out Performance, Rockstar Custom, Dragon Fire Racing.

IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

Last edited:

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Awesome work George! I will be there cheering you both on.

702sandman

Sep 12, 2015
You have made a great choice George. Shelby is like a daughter to me and also I compete with her in WORCS . She will do awesome in your car, she is a amazing young driver that reads the terrain like a seasoned veteran that she is.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
UPDATE: We had a million things to do to get this car ready. I thought this will be a lot easier to just put her in my car and let her rack up some points for me.....But we persevered and got motor tuned at Benchmark Performance. Their facility is unique located in wine country on a lot of acres. Beautiful here. Chris Hawk made us feel right at home camping here overnight. Shelby and her sister Katlyn were here for the day helping wrench on the car. Shelby is the real deal with tools I'm super impressed.....I think she has those skills needed to race desert or baja even. She's pretty good and getting better. A few snafus but it's all falling into place. Razorback and S&B getting new harnesses to us. Streamline just in time w those rotors they can't seem to make fast enough. Sparks springs arrived today as did Walker Evans came thru with a ton of stuff to test with so we should be good there. Last minute i see a new primary is jacked up by a loose bolt that came off the inboard clutch cover. Thanks to my buddy Daniel Parker who donated a primary so we don't need to use my back up. All in all it's been great and people have been very supportive. We're all still a little nervous with loose ends still hanging but bar any major setback your going to see Shelby Anderson 1805 on the line Saturday in the yellow Young Gun car. It's been fun but could not have done it without Nathan Shaffer who not only helped me on this car but took the 1958 car and prepped it for me so I could focus on this project. I'll post pics of the car after it's wrapped and hopefully pics of Shelby testing.

Reactions: crazywatson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000