SDR1 Build: Stage I

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
As a continuation to my previous post:
http://www.utvunderground.com/f58/project-sdr1-2310.html

SDR1 Stage I

Got the word that my SR1 kit will be shipping out from Wellers today, so in anticipation Ive been doing a little work to get ready. Ive laid out the frame rails in tape, so i can estimate the location of the motor, to attempt to figure out any possible clearance issues before hefting that motor into the car.

Looks like there may be some interference with the clutch linkage, with one of the tubes in my cage. Its going to be close, but Im hoping removing the little cover to protect the clutch when you lay the bike down, will give me the space I need. Otherwise i will need to notch the tube.

Headers arrived today, and fit great. i will be moving the SR1 kits drivers side plate towards the driver a little, to make room for the headers, and also move the shifter closer to me. Should be a pretty easy modification, and will allow me to run a off the shelf header without modifications to the primaries.

Speaking of headers, they are a step tube design, with 4 into 2 into 1 collector. I will be ceramic coating them and wrapping them after mockup, and having a o2 sensor bung installed.

Note to 04-06 R1 buyers, there is a recall on the Throttle body upper Throttle position sensor for all 04s and some 05s. So check the R1 forums to make sure yours has been fixed. I have the old one on my primary throttle body, but luckily ended up with a spare throttle body that has the new sensor. Good thing as its $105 from the dealer.

Chassis is tore down to just about nothing, and the pan is now cut out ready for the SR1 kit. The last of the parts I need are trickling in daily, and I should have just about everything to have this thing running by next week. (Cross my fingers).

Decided to no go with Gear One centerboard hubs, and instead use Wellers uprights, with Brembo brakes at the wheels (instead of the diff mounted brake standard with my 06). Saved enough money by doing this, that I should be able to upgrade the rear arms and do some 10" RC2 BC Fox shocks in the back.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
I only see 2 CVs on the table. Waiting for outers still??

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
As a continuation to my previous post:
http://www.utvunderground.com/f58/project-sdr1-2310.html

SDR1 Stage I

Got the word that my SR1 kit will be shipping out from Wellers today, so in anticipation Ive been doing a little work to get ready. Ive laid out the frame rails in tape, so i can estimate the location of the motor, to attempt to figure out any possible clearance issues before hefting that motor into the car.

Looks like there may be some interference with the clutch linkage, with one of the tubes in my cage. Its going to be close, but Im hoping removing the little cover to protect the clutch when you lay the bike down, will give me the space I need. Otherwise i will need to notch the tube.

Headers arrived today, and fit great. i will be moving the SR1 kits drivers side plate towards the driver a little, to make room for the headers, and also move the shifter closer to me. Should be a pretty easy modification, and will allow me to run a off the shelf header without modifications to the primaries.

Speaking of headers, they are a step tube design, with 4 into 2 into 1 collector. I will be ceramic coating them and wrapping them after mockup, and having a o2 sensor bung installed.

Note to 04-06 R1 buyers, there is a recall on the Throttle body upper Throttle position sensor for all 04s and some 05s. So check the R1 forums to make sure yours has been fixed. I have the old one on my primary throttle body, but luckily ended up with a spare throttle body that has the new sensor. Good thing as its $105 from the dealer.

Chassis is tore down to just about nothing, and the pan is now cut out ready for the SR1 kit. The last of the parts I need are trickling in daily, and I should have just about everything to have this thing running by next week. (Cross my fingers).

Decided to no go with Gear One centerboard hubs, and instead use Wellers uprights, with Brembo brakes at the wheels (instead of the diff mounted brake standard with my 06). Saved enough money by doing this, that I should be able to upgrade the rear arms and do some 10" RC2 BC Fox shocks in the back.
Off subject question, but do these have rebound control too?? If so I thought they could not do them that long??

Thx

Wild Earp

So..... your build is just going to be on hold until they are or..?

From what was said a few weeks ago it seemed they were several months away.
I haven't decided yet. May do stock uprights and limit the travel for now.. May keep an eye out for a good deal on Gear One centerboard hubs, may have Summers Brothers work something up for me.. Well see how it goes....

Wild Earp

Got a little work done getting ready. Ive mocked everything up on the floor to start, to get a good idea on where everything will land, without having to climb around in the jungle gym that used to be a rhino.

Im still amazed at how well the kit is engineer and fabricated. Its all going together so easily. Looks like Ill have room for the clutch without modifications, and will be able to run the off the shelf headers with only a notch cut out of the Drivers side front motor mount, and the slip joint springs moved from the side of the collector, to the top/bottom. No major additional fab needed. Im very excited about that. Will save me a lot of time! Every thing is going smooth, and we were planning on putting it in the car tonight, but my boy is sick, so it will have to wait until later.

I talked to Jason about the uprights, and he hopes to have them ready in the next few weeks. He is actively working on them, but wants them right the first time (as with the rest of the kit). I really like that he is not rushing stuff out, and then letting the customer do the testing. If it will be much longer than a few weeks, Ill probably have him make me a set of axles to work with the stock uprights for the mean time, and live with the reduced travel for now. Just so I can start tuning, and have some fun in the desert.

More pictures once its in the car.

I can finally say, there is not enough left from the original rhino, to call this thing a rhino any more. It is officially, a SR1 Race Car!

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Congrats Ben!! It will be great to have another SR1 running around! :) Glad everything is going well so far - keep up the build updates!! :)

PS - Hope your little man gets better soon - I just got over being sick for 8 freakin' days!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000