San Felipe race recap

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
First off I want to say congrats to Matt and Thomas for their wins,and thanks to my fellow forum members who were rooting for me.

Second...WOW... what a great time even though we didn't finish.Considering Todd got the Wildcat 3 weeks ago and had to be in Baja in 2 weeks it was a great race car.As soon as we were done with the King shock testing this car was a Beast in the whoops and was going to be competitive even with a motor that only had a Muzzy exhaust.
Some how the race order got screwed up and I think I started 6th and took off at about 2/3 throttle even though it was a bladed road and stuck to the game plan.A mile or 2 in we hit the monster whoops and I started passing people and had the physical lead pretty quickly.We stuck to our pace and I only ever floored this car when passing in tight situations and was amazed how good these cars are in the whoops.I knew I was setting a good pace but never felt like I was abusing the car and was even getting held up by buggies and sportsman trucks.
We took gas around race mile 85 since we had no idea what kind of gas mileage we would get and didnt know if we could make it to race mile 150.We kept our pace untill around RM 135 we heard a noise and we had a torn cv boot.We tried to make to the next pit but it filled with dirt and the cage gave out at RM138.After trying for about 20 minutes to get the axle out we decided to cruise to the next pit.
Once we made it to the pits I got out of the car and Micah got in and we changed out the axle,topped off the fuel and had no more planned pit stops.Micah took off and was moving good until about RM 167 the car quit running.He got out to find we had a bad fuel rail and with no spares we were done for the day.We will be back for the 500,I can't wait!
I also hung out with the Shuelers and met the Murrays and they were nice guys and was glad I got to meet them.

Last edited:

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
Nice write up. Wish i could see it first hand and party out there.

The wildcat x is no joke. Looks awesome.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

hontrx265r

Feb 27, 2012
You guys had a good race. Couldn't do much about the fuel rail but it wont be stock next time around we will come up with something solid. Overall I was impressed with how the car looked with virtually zero testing and a mad rush to get it down to sanfelipe. Cant wait to see it next time around with some refinement. I got a small video ill upload when I get a chance
Mike.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000