Rzr4xp, rzr s1000 or yxz??? Need unbiased opinions

R00st

Jun 7, 2015
So, I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a side by side, but I'm obviously all over the map. I meed help narrowing down my options.

I live in northern Illinois but shop Abernathy in TN because of their outstanding deals, that local dealers refuse to touch.

Of the 2016 inventory left at Abernathy's, the only three that interest me are:
2016 yamaha yxz in orange for 14.5k (the special edition is the sa!e price but I much prefer orange)
2016 rzr 1000 s two seater in black
2016 xp4 turbo in orange.

As I mentioned, I live in northern Illinois which has hardly any riding parks/trail systems. I have a 15 year history riding quads all over, so am fairly well versed with the riding around here. My friemds own 550 acres in Wisconsin which is 70% rolling hills, and the rest wooded trails. of those trails, only about 30% will fit a side by side, mostly due to overgrowth. I also will be riding the trail systems in Wisconsin which for the most part are fairly wide open. I am an adrenaline junky so the more hp, the better!

For reference, I sold my 2012 manual tranny mustang GT for a 2015 (orange, of course) auto GT which I love, but sorely miss rowing gears. The manual tranny in the mustang is garbage, hence my forced decision. I currently own a 2015 Polaris 570 sportsman that I use to care for my 12 wooded acres and snow plow. The idea of a CVT on a quad or side by side is livable...and easy for other riders, but I don't want any regrets.

I like the idea of the turbo for the 4 seat capacity but am also fearing that option for the 6-7k premium, the questionable(?) Reliability of the turbo models, as well as the harm that a school bus sized side by side has on handling.

I have a wife and a 5 year old, who are interested in doing family trips occasionally (maybe twice a year). Ideally, the 4 seater keeps the whole family in one unit, as well as offering space for buddies.

Of I lived out west, I'd buy the turbo 4 seater in a heart beat. We do rixe little sahara utah once a year, but I'm worried about navigating a vehicle as long as the 4 seater in the Midwest.

My wife says get the more expensive 4 seater (that never happens!) So that we can haul more people... my thought is, if she really gets into riding with me, down the road we can buy a rzr 570 or an ace to accommodate the family better. im honestly leaning toward the yxz or the 1000s.

Any input on this is much appreciated!

R00st

Jun 7, 2015
In my ignorance of assuming the 2017's would not be discounted much, I just checked and the 2017 white lighting 1kxp 2 seater is only 14.9k!

I think a 60 inch side by side would fit the trails here better, as well as the extra ground clearance from the dual a-arm rear, vs the trailing arm. On the flip side, it would be hard to justify losing 5 inches of suspension travel. Being the same engine, the S probably has the sa!e power to weight as the XP, being that the XP is 140 pounds heavier with its larger suspension components and two inch taller tires.

I think where Im at now is.... 2017 1kxp 2 seater for 15.5k vs 2016 1000 S 2 seater for 13.8k vs 2016 yxz (14.5k)with the newly released gytr lower gearing (1k) to make it more trail capable. I am not sure how I feel about having to rev the hell out of the motor to get the performance, but the lower gearing should help it when lugging the motor at lower rpm...

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Yes I will say yor vehicle choices are all over the board. To me since you have a wife and child your only option is a 4 seat UTV. Unless you plan on leaving you kid at home or wife at camp? Does not sound fun to me! For most having and using a UTV is a family event.

So with that being said, have you looked at the new Polaris General? They just released a 4 seat model this year. I got to check out and sit in one at the Super Sand Show yesterday. It's an awesome machine that does not seem to getting the attention right now. For an all around general purpose machine with performance, I don't see the General being beat. It's got the same 1000cc engine as the RZR, just slightly detuned. Which the guys at Alba and I'm sure other shops can re-tune easily to get the same or more power as a stock 1000 RZR. And it's got 13 inches of wheel travel. HRC makes kit to get even more travel. Check out the specs and see if you don't agree.
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/general-utv/general-4-1000-eps-silver

Regards to the 2016 XP4 turbo. I would stay away from any 2016 RZR turbos, as that model & year will be known as the bastard year for Polaris. IMO and several others with more inside knowledge feel the recall work Polaris is doing as just a bandaid, and they want to move on. The proof is in the major rework Polaris did on the 2017. Why buy Polaris's mistake model? Plus with the style of riding I'm guessing your looking to do, N/A engine should be more then enough power. So if your looking for a 2016 RZR look at a N/A model. We saw some XP4's at the show for $19.5K.

And right now after seeing what Can Am just released with the X3, Polaris is far, far behind with the RZR plateform. Comparing the comfort level when sitting in a Polaris vs a Can Am & Yamaha is no comparison. The RZR is like driving a golf cart and the other two are like sitting in a real buggy. I was told by Can Am that their business plan is to release a new Recrational Vehicle every 6 months from now to 2020, and a 4 seat X3 is probably not to far behind. The rep at the show said at least 40% of the questions asked were is a 4 seat coming out? A Yamaha rumor I heard from some guys who work with with Yamaha on the aftermarket side, think you will see a 4 seat performance machine from Yamaha in the next year. To many are asking for them to not release one.

Bottom line is buy what you think you want and like now, because every year someone's going to release something better.

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
D - none of the above.
Nikal is right - none are ideal options. Don't let a low price influence your decision - buy what fits your needs best. In the long run you (and family) will be much happier.
My thoughts:
For under 60" consider a Teryx T4 (bullet proof).
For 64" wide 4 sealers with big power - there will be some smoking deals on Turbo Mavericks. The YXZ is a great machine - but not a crawler or 4 seats - the gear reduction will help, but it's made to be driven.
I would not put anyone I know much less a child in Turbo RzR.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
No to the 2016 Turbo RZR, too many headaches to even begin to deal with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000