RZR XP900 paddle tire testing

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Went to glamis yesterday to do some tire testing with Dave from Fullerton Sand Sports.

we had 4 XP9's and one turbo RZR-S testing tires with Dave yesterday, conditions were cool, sand was damp, drag raced in 2wd and 4wd.

most of us agreed on two combos that were very equally matched in drag racing and duning and hill climbing.

All XPs were stock powered, one very nice SDR build was there, I will get some pics uploaded later from my phone.

First some tires we tested.

26 STU blasters, not cut full paddes #1
26 stu blasters comp cut and staggered (60/40?)
26 STU Blaster Pros comp cut and staggered ( these are 1" wider than std)
Skat tracks (stock tire height) 8 paddle extremes Flat top 12.50 wide carcass
Skat tracks 10 cup extremes round carcass, near stock tire height
Skat track 9 cup extremes round carcass, a tad shorter than stock tire

fronts
ITP dune stars uncut
ITP Dune Stars shaved sides, center rib showing
Front buffs to match the 26 blasters.

and one ride with aired down stock dirt ITP 900 tires.

the feedback from the turbo S holeshot was from the 8 cup flat carcass Skats ( at 6.5 psi) with shaved ITP dunestar fronts, he jumped a half a car on the XP9's with their best setups and stayed there in 4x4. the feed back from the fronts in the dunes was that the Shaved ITP fronts pushed a little more than non cut front ITP's. With 9 cup round carcass, he touched the rev limiter on the start and we jumped out on him.

the 8 cups on the XP when I ran them, let loose in the dunes on corners at an unpredictable rate, for a newer driver, I feel this may be a bad thing. also the blaster pros jumped out on the 8 cups by about 1/2- 1 car length and stayed there.

the top two combos we found for the xp were....

Comp cut STU blasters staggered with matching front buffs
and the 9 cup extremes (round top carcass) in stock height, and either front buffs or the shaved ITP dunestars. the fronts will be preference in how you drive in our opinions. I will be getting the 9 cup and front buffs myself.

the drag racing and hill climbing came down to almost who pushed the gas pedal first.

the full STU blasters un cut, seemed too much as the report was that he had to in the gas pedal way harder in the dunes, ( I noticed this with the 10 cup skats also) where as the blasters needed less pedal for the same speed and climbing.

the 10 cup extremes Dave said may be better for the XP's in Oregon dunes, I pulled 8400 rpms, no problem with those tires in a drag race.

IMHO, for those who are not real super agressive, I would run a 9 extreme and uncut ITP dunestar fronts, a little shorter roll out than stock. good duning and turning

I mentioned the stock tires, in 4wd, any paddle we tested took the holeshot on the stock dirt tires set at 6 psi by about 4 lengths from a dead stop, as expected, but interestingly, that was it, I stayed right at the same 4 car gap til 65 mph, no gain or loss by the sand tires over the stock tires, ( mind you the sand was damp).

Anyone that is going to hop up or mod their Xp will easily be able to run the 10 cup extremes and comp cut Blaster pros, turbos XPs will prob be able to handle full blasters, lightened.

had some good dune rides also, even though it rained part of the time.
Good to meet, Dave, Larry, Tim (SDR), Steve (dasa) and others.

Rog

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
No problem guys, it, sure was nice of Dave to bring a selection of tires to test and not have to buy them first.

here some pics of my XP9 BTW, stock roof, dual windshields, work great, Twisted stitch Vortex seats, Polaris steering wheel kit.

Grant@funco

Monster Energy / Funco Kawasaki - UTVUnderground A
Feb 8, 2009
Califorinia
Where can we buy these paddles?
Who has the deals?

Dave is from Fullerton Sand Sports. I would think you would want to buy them from them since they stepped up and did the testing. Plus they are great guys over there with good prices and incredible customer service.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net

sandmotion

SANDMOTION
Jan 21, 2010
I wanted to make it out there but had to work. The SDR rzr was my friends. Heard it was a good time out there!

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
Thanks for the great info. I have 8 paddle skats and feel that I could use more paddle. The Stu tires seem to work great.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Good write up.Let us know if there is any difference when sand is dry.

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Don't worry John, the tires you have are the best for drag racing up olds or china wall.

really??, because all of these tires were within 1/2 -1 car length at the top of olds except the full non cut blasters.

Speed aside Driving style was where the choices would be made in the dunes.

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Did you get it from NCY Rog?

Great write up! Any action pics with paddles in action?
I did get it from NCY, , they sure did not through in the 4 year warranty for UTVUG members, like you said, they charged $400 for it :mad: , and full setup and shipping fees. So maybe you want to call derek and ask what is up

They sponsored me, sort of, for Lucas and that helped, but so far I would not send anyone to NCY for sales, parts guys are good.

Tim from SDR forgot his gopro mount or we could have had vid.

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
this is the reason I never posted that I got mine there. BUt I will go over friday to see if they are gonna change their mind and honor the member deal. If not, it will be on every forum I am on, not to go there for anything and why.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000