rzr xp4 shocks

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
i have question to everyone that has a xp4. Does your suspension suck our is it just both cars we got. you cant bomb the whoops at olds with any speed. going thru whoop section just about throws rear end off course.did waker evan do a bad job at shock selection or did polaris miss the boat. If you think the xp4 is good you need to ride in a wild cat same whoops blows right thru same waker shocks were did it go all wrong. Just to let you no we just toasted a set of rear waker evan shocks. Yes we are working very close with xmf to come out with package so these cars will handle better.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
We put a set of our off the shelf standard XP shocks on Sean Cooks car, They were not perfect but they worked good enough to put him in the top 5. We are working with Fox on a new set up for the XP 4

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Hi Rito:
Are these these Walker shocks stock? If so, then I can see why you are having issues. The stock shocks were valved and sprung for sport driving and not racing, and plus most race vehicles weigh 500 lbs more than stock with the cage, cell, spare, tin, electronics, lights, etc. My recommendation is to weigh your rig at race weight (full of fuel and spares) with both driver and co-dog in it. Then call Brian at WER and send the shocks to them for revalving and likely respringing. I think you will be much happier after you get them redone. My other suggestion is to pay particular attention to ride height at race weight as you likely neede more bump travel.
My two pesos for what it is worth. See you at the Silver State!
MP

Rad Richi

Jan 7, 2011
Cardiff by the Sea
My 2011 RZR4, out of the box with the Fox shocks was set up good never messed with them the whole time I had it..... Now I have the 2012 XP4, out of the box the set up is super soft I have adjusted them about 5 clicks its helped out a little but still not that impressed with the Walker Evans shocks!!! I need somebody that knows how to set up shocks to take a look at them...

Attachments

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
our 1937 xp2 was suppose to have all the catch me do me stuff. custom valving,springs all of the above. we have 2.5 in rear and 2.0 walker evan and yes we smoked the rears.
1936 xp4 le has all waker shocks factory put on we had re sprung and re valved. i do beleive you half to buy alot of stuff because polaris changed some things ex $.
We have 2 other xp4 le stock no weight add and both cars can not go through woop section at oldsmobile without re end bouncing every were. wild cat will do it no problem. both have walker on them.
i hope xmf/waker evans figures it out.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
My 2011 RZR4, out of the box with the Fox shocks was set up good never messed with them the whole time I had it..... Now I have the 2012 XP4, out of the box the set up is super soft I have adjusted them about 5 clicks its helped out a little but still not that impressed with the Walker Evans shocks!!! I need somebody that knows how to set up shocks to take a look at them...
XMF will figure it call them they will give you low down

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Did you call the guys at Walker Evans?

jerome

Dec 8, 2009
peoria az
i cant even count the # of polaris utv's i had over the last 5 years, i was overly impressed with the rzr 4, the thing drove amazing, the only problem was the 800 motor was a little to small for the 4 seater, so now i have a xp 4 acutally 2 of them, the motor is great, suspension is horrible, on my wifes xp 4 it only has one dune trip on it and both rear shocks are leaking, maybe i was hoping for too much with the xp 4 for 20k you would hope it would ride good!!!!!

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Guys, Im sure polaris puts a $$$ amount to be met by fox, walker and whomever else gets the Job. I can tell you personally all the "BEST" parts are not in the fox shoxs that come OEM, and they are also tuned for the masses, not the hardcore drivers or Racers. They are set up soft on purpose. You cant compare a Stock Wildcat to a Stock XP4. The same brand shocks or not, they arent the same.:cool:

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Guys, Im sure polaris puts a $$$ amount to be met by fox, walker and whomever else gets the Job. I can tell you personally all the "BEST" parts are not in the fox shoxs that come OEM, and they are also tuned for the masses, not the hardcore drivers or Racers. They are set up soft on purpose. You cant compare a Stock Wildcat to a Stock XP4. The same brand shocks or not, they arent the same.:cool:
i understand that with shocks they all have a price margin to work with. But i thought that is why walker were put on with adjustability so you didn't have to change shocks. so why as a consumer do we buy the robby gordon eddition or ford raptor or paul jr design camaro.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
i understand that with shocks they all have a price margin to work with. But i thought that is why walker were put on with adjustability so you didn't have to change shocks. so why as a consumer do we buy the robby gordon eddition or ford raptor or paul jr design camaro.
Thats not why Polaris went with Walkers;). The shocks on the robby Gordon edition are no different than the standard XP's. Your buying a name and some flashy graphics. Im sure that WER can tune those shocks to perfection. But dont be surprised if you dont change the Spring rates and Guts out on the shocks. On the Fox's we do for the standard XP the only part that is the same as the OE shocks are the body and end cap.

Also you better change out your sway bar on your XP before the next race, it wont make it anther BITD race. We have OE replacements or you can spend the big $$ and go to a sprint car style bar.

Sway bar

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I agree with Jim on the sway bar, if you are racing do yourself a favor and get that Cognito bar rockin!

As for the shocks, those WER shocks are bad ass. They could use some tuning. Remember, Polaris didn't tune these shocks for RACING, they made them so they would be at a happy medium for trail riders, duners, desert riders, and everything in between. If you want to mash the bumps at WOT then you should do yourself a favor and have them sent into Walker Evans Racing for some advanced tuning which I am sure they already have specs in order. I will see if I can get a confirmation.

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
The biggest determining factor in how well you get through whoops is the speed of shock travel. If it is too fast you feel like you’re being kicked as you leave a whoop and the shock will “pack up” if too slow since the shock does not have enough time to fully extend before it sees another compression stroke on a successive bump. After several bumps in a row, you may be left with almost no suspension travel. Hi- speed compression is another tool for high speed whoops.

If you don’t have rebound adjustment or HS Comp best to work with the low speed compression(adj moderate speed whoops) setting, but you may never get away from poor shock travel speed.

WERACE

Walker Evans Racing - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Feb 23, 2011
Redlands
www.walkerevansent.com
I agree with Jim on the sway bar, if you are racing do yourself a favor and get that Cognito bar rockin!

As for the shocks, those WER shocks are bad ass. They could use some tuning. Remember, Polaris didn't tune these shocks for RACING, they made them so they would be at a happy medium for trail riders, duners, desert riders, and everything in between. If you want to mash the bumps at WOT then you should do yourself a favor and have them sent into Walker Evans Racing for some advanced tuning which I am sure they already have specs in order. I will see if I can get a confirmation.
Confirmed, we spend countless hours testing with Polaris engineers setting the suspension up in various terrain. There's a lot of suspension challenges with a 1400lb vehicle that can have a occupant load of 1000lbs and blitz knee deep sand whoops at 80mph, but still be compliant enough for 1 occupant and woods riding. The shocks are valved and sprung for the masses, and the clickers are given the tall order to fine tune for the extreme variables the XP4 encounters. As Bajaxp and Joey have stated the shocks can deliver anything you throw at them with some insight from the driver and a revalve.

Jerome as for the leaking shocks I don't have an explination, we have changed out a handful of shafts due to debris nicking them, or it could just be a bad seal.

The Arctic Cat and XP4 are fairly different machines, but they do have 1 thing in common, top shelf american built shocks that feature the same parts that go into our over the counter race quality dampeners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000