Polaris RZR XP 900 - Best Air Intake?

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Hey guys.. needing some HONEST advice (unlike rzr forum BS).

I'm NOT looking for HP. Looking for FILTRATION for 2013 XP. Before the first mile... we installed a two things:

1) DMC Gasket
http://www.sxsperformance.com/product.aspx?id=652
&
2) Outerwears
http://www.sxsperformance.com/product.aspx?id=563

With the above 2 things, after just 1 dusty Texas ride last weekend... the stock paper filter is almost ready for a change. (may get 1 more ride, that'd be IT , tops 2 rides per filter!)

What other filtration systems are out there for clean air?
What's the absolute BEST for air filtration ?

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Oh yea.. just for reference.. on my 800 S .. I installed the UTV Inc airbox (with donaldson filter) that has a outerwear around the donaldson filter. Then I snorkel it ... and on top of snorkel I stuck on a K&N filter (with light oil) and yet another outerwear around that. Yeappers, 2 filters and 2 outerwears. I only go through about 1 donaldson filter every 6 months... no loss of power, works awesome.

Look for something similar for the XP... a belt + suspenders type of system.

Thanks

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
You can do something similar to your S with an UMP air box and plentum, only downside is they built it in 3" instead of 4".

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Thanks Jim, wouldn't the UMP decrease your HP 2-3 ? And you have to remove fender just to service, right? May be an option... I have heard the UMP is great filtration.

Anyone know anything about this:
http://bikemanperformance.com/utv/polaris/polaris-rzr-xp-900/bmp-rzr-xp-900-intake-kit.html

I like the Bikeman above because it goes right into stock air box... so I got 2 filters and 1 outerwear. Seems easy to install service.... but also expensive IMO for what your getting.

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
Cognito uses the 4inch ump with custom plenum and tubing to have filter in what would be the bed area and easily servicable

jsandgren10

Mar 16, 2013
Has anyone tried the KMS intake setup? I think I am giong to change my stock one, the problem is where I ride I have no room in the bed for a filter. I like the triple protection of the KMS just worried about a lot of dust and heat.

What are your guys' take on it?

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Here's what I ended up doing... I got 2 to 3" adapter, then got K&N Filter # E-0773 + Outerwears for K&N #20-2354 . Pictured below withOUT the outerwear. So I got a prefilter before my stock filter. FOR NOW I'm just going to run it without the xp lid cover ... engine will run a bit cooler and NOTHING permanent in case I need warranty work. Once warranty expires in November.. I'll be drilling some holes in my bed... doing it more "proper."

Attachments

skunx

OG SXS Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 30, 2009
california
www.imgms.com
I have done service on all types of different intakes, i really like the knn box with two pod paper element but it is one you have to stay on top of. When i personally had an xp i cut the back end of a spare airbox out and it was full oem paper element to race short course and then for a grand prix i would go back to stock set up.

MC@ Performance Fab

Jun 8, 2010
Just watched the video by KMS, doing something like that, shorting up the stack length as much as possible can gain a couple on top but you are going to pay HEAVY thru the entire rpm range until you reach peak.

jsandgren10

Mar 16, 2013
Just watched the video by KMS, doing something like that, shorting up the stack length as much as possible can gain a couple on top but you are going to pay HEAVY thru the entire rpm range until you reach peak.
Did you look at their dyno sheet it seemed like it didn't hurt the rpm at lower rpms.

jsandgren10

Mar 16, 2013
Here's what I ended up doing... I got 2 to 3" adapter, then got K&N Filter # E-0773 + Outerwears for K&N #20-2354 . Pictured below withOUT the outerwear. So I got a prefilter before my stock filter. FOR NOW I'm just going to run it without the xp lid cover ... engine will run a bit cooler and NOTHING permanent in case I need warranty work. Once warranty expires in November.. I'll be drilling some holes in my bed... doing it more "proper."
Unfortunately I can't afford to lose bed space. I run desert and usually in 500 mile stretches with a fully loaded bed which is why I was looking at the kms. I'm just wondering if it will get more dirty than the stock since you get such a big swirl effect at the stock intake location

rzrxp7

Apr 25, 2012
surprise, az
i am also in need of some real answers. currently on my third rebuilt motor due to dirt and sand getting through the intake. first was the stock box leaked and then alba open pods i can open in some real silty dust. cant afford this rebuild again. like the ump setup but dont really want to loose 3 hp in the process.

H82LOSE

Feb 4, 2014
Ok fellas I hope you dont mind a newbie chimming in on this topic. I am new to the RZR world but not to Polaris or performance products. After owning my xp 900 for just a few short days I have focused my attention from things such as skid plates, cage and bumpers etc to how I'm going to fix existing problems such as the air box. So after doing some research and listening to owners of the top intakes I've decided to build my own. My first step is to buy a KMS system mainly for throttle body box setup. The filter setup that comes with the KMS will probably be used to avoid having to modify engine parameters. Someone may correct me on this buy it seems by keeping the air flow under 300cfm it allows you to retain factory engine parameters. My next step is to build something comparable to the BMP kit that comes up through the bed rather than under the fender. After that I'll probably route the plumbing up behind the seats and mount some sort of sheild to deflect rain water. Opinions and criticism is welcome.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Have many satisfied customers running our Double Down Intake kit. It's totally stealthy and take up no bed space. Introduced the "Foam Buddy" pre-filter which fits in the lid of the air box. Had excellent results filtering the fine particles that the gaze aftermarket filters struggle with and easily doubles the life of the stock paper filter. Our kits have been proven on the track, dunes desert and mountains. The RockStar Energy race team ran them in the Lucas Regionals and Dirt Series and Ken Hower ran it in last years King Of The Hammers. Our dyno testing also showed a healthy gain in HP through the usable power band over stock. Offer a package deal that includes everything you need to dial in the stock air box... Check it out!
Mark

H82LOSE

Feb 4, 2014
anything that comes through the bed, every customer hates it. too loud and annoying.
Yes I am aware on the noise but eliminating the stock airbox is my main priority and second is to have a easily accessible filter for ease of maintenance. The filter set up like the KMS kit uses seems to well liked and used in the desert racing world. I was told UMP sells just the plenum box so that and some aluminum tubing and the KMS filter set up may be the way to go.

Thanks Mark for all the information and you have some very nice products. For me eliminating the stock airbox with give me the most peace of mind.

Appreciate the opinions.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
The stock air box is really not bad, it's the restrictions in the system that compromises the air box. Also seems that they missed on the lip of the stock paper element which our Super Seal gasket addresses. Wait for it.... we are in development on a better designed filter that will rock your world.
Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000