RZR vs MAVERICK vs YXZ - Who wins?

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I rode a bunch of different bikes. I owned a 450 that use to like to stand up. Mostly 2 strokes riding the hills in East County in SD. I'm a big guy so leaning all the way forward the tire would spin. I was high the whole time. Lol I got out of riding for awhile got my shit together then got a RZR.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I grew up on dirt bikes as well. Maybe Bert's needs one of us come drive that bad boy. Lol

Reactions: crazywatson

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Why would I do that? I have machines perfect for duning. That maverick is heavy as hell and not made for dunes. So sure maybe some paddles would help it but so would shaving 300 lbs off of it.

With that said I ran king ranch in the dunes last season with Mongrels and it worked bad ass. I was surprised that they worked as well as they did and guess what, no blown belts.

I'm saying, I'm sure paddles help but I have had experience where the added traction created more strain on my clutch. It made them hot way more and I had to adjust my clutch to compensate for the added traction. I prefer to have a little less traction, keep the revs high and just stay on top of the sand and not stressing my belt. But again, that's what I like. Not saying paddles don't work just in what I like I think it's overrated. Again, I would love to be proven wrong.
lol and bigger tires don't do that at all in the dirt either your a funny guy. So you finally admit Polaris has a clutch issue lol. Just like warlock said weight is a huge factor just like your 300lbs of weight/ take off 20-45lbs of rotating weight well you know the answer to that one. The point is doesn't matter which way you go you remove weight even better yet remove rotating weight you will have a completely different handling utv.You like desert tires try putting a set of spun aluminum wheels on your dirt tires and set of beadlocks with same tires I will say the spun aluminum wheels will work way better same tire less rotating weight. Try it I know you have plenty of tires there.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I rode a bunch of different bikes. I owned a 450 that use to like to stand up. Mostly 2 strokes riding the hills in East County in SD. I'm a big guy so leaning all the way forward the tire would spin. I was high the whole time. Lol I got out of riding for awhile got my shit together then got a RZR.

I don't know anyone who races bikes that doesn't start in second. First is going to stand up and run out fast then if you hit it hard in second could be a handful but everyone's at the first turn anyways so doesn't matter. Lol

Reactions: Simi Dude and tatum

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
I hear Bob from factory utv said just follow the shift light and it climbs great. As for the launch that's easy put it to the floor and when it hits the Rev limiter dump the clutch. Lol

The sand at Sand Mountain Nv in Sept is very soft and dry. XP41K with sand tires was having lots of difficulty just making it up comp hill, failing about 1/2 the time. My point was when I hit my shift points correctly, (made much easier using the shift light) the YXZ was much faster up the hill. If I screwed up even a little bit, I'd end up in first gear wheel hopping like crazy at 2mph. When I hit the shift points correctly I'd go to the top in 2nd gear. I'd imagine it was a 15-20 car length difference. Starts was kind of the same story, really hit and miss nailing them the way I wanted too. Driver is going to make a huge difference in all these drag video's. The more I drove it the better I got for sure, which is probably a Captain Obvious comment.... Agree with Joey D on the aired down Bighorns. I ran 5 psi all around and it really does make a great all around sand tire.

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
lol and bigger tires don't do that at all in the dirt either your a funny guy. So you finally admit Polaris has a clutch issue lol. Just like warlock said weight is a huge factor just like your 300lbs of weight/ take off 20-45lbs of rotating weight well you know the answer to that one. The point is doesn't matter which way you go you remove weight even better yet remove rotating weight you will have a completely different handling utv.You like desert tires try putting a set of spun aluminum wheels on your dirt tires and set of beadlocks with same tires I will say the spun aluminum wheels will work way better same tire less rotating weight. Try it I know you have plenty of tires there.
Rotating mass does make a big difference and depending on machine can make a huge difference. From my own experience, we put 30in molded paddles on heavy cast aluminum rims on our XP1K and it handled them just fine, out performing the stock knobbies easily climbing sand hills. Put the exact same setup on our Wildcat and it was much worse than the stock knobbies. Found an old set of Rhino buffed Skats on spun aluminum wheels laying around in the shop (really light setup) and stuck them on the Wildcat and it made a HUGE positive difference. I don't remember the exact formula offhand, but reducing rotating mass is like 4 times as effective as reducing static weight.

Reactions: warlock

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I'm not the smartest man in the world but last I checked not one UTV comes with a set of paddles on it so having to CLUTCH a car for a change in tires is not a Polaris Clutch issue. You may not know this cause you are sort of new to this whole UTV thing :D but there also isn't a shock problem on the factory UTVs being built.. NO, its not the shocks fault that when you go racing and launch them into the air that they bottom out, see, the way it works is the OEMs build and set their machines up for the MASSES so its more or less a middle of the road setting so you will have to re-valve your shocks based on your weight and or riding style.

Sarcasm aside.. NO SHIT SHERLOCK.. I understand weight, rotating mass, etc.. and guess what, I don't really care. I run stock big horns all the time and LOVE THEM in the sand and they work AWESOME! No clutch change, no nothing other than air pressure and yeah I prefer bead locks just to be safe.

K.I.S.S.

So with all that said, I don't care that people like paddles. I have ran them, I have a set I will try on my new Turbo and again, I hope to be proven wrong but so far I stand by the fact that I think they are overrated. Doesn't mean you, or Warlock, or STU guy or Skat-Trak guy or anyone else is wrong, I just don't think they are necessary for MY MACHINES!

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I'm not the smartest man in the world but last I checked not one UTV comes with a set of paddles on it so having to CLUTCH a car for a change in tires is not a Polaris Clutch issue. You may not know this cause you are sort of new to this whole UTV thing :D but there also isn't a shock problem on the factory UTVs being built.. NO, its not the shocks fault that when you go racing and launch them into the air that they bottom out, see, the way it works is the OEMs build and set their machines up for the MASSES so its more or less a middle of the road setting so you will have to re-valve your shocks based on your weight and or riding style.

Sarcasm aside.. NO SHIT SHERLOCK.. I understand weight, rotating mass, etc.. and guess what, I don't really care. I run stock big horns all the time and LOVE THEM in the sand and they work AWESOME! No clutch change, no nothing other than air pressure and yeah I prefer bead locks just to be safe.

K.I.S.S.

So with all that said, I don't care that people like paddles. I have ran them, I have a set I will try on my new Turbo and again, I hope to be proven wrong but so far I stand by the fact that I think they are overrated. Doesn't mean you, or Warlock, or STU guy or Skat-Trak guy or anyone else is wrong, I just don't think they are necessary for MY MACHINES!
Your funny a guy sarcasm aside. maybe beadlocks are your safety well maybe paddles are other people safety. Just maybe you should have a paddle shoot out and desert tire shoot out in the sand see which one you would tell people to use since this is your forum for info. Fox edition rzr 1000 has all the adjustability in shock for both riders with out revalving. Next time KEEP DIGGING WATSON lol

Reactions: JoeyD23

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Your funny a guy sarcasm aside. maybe beadlocks are your safety well maybe paddles are other people safety. Just maybe you should have a paddle shoot out and desert tire shoot out in the sand see which one you would tell people to use since this is your forum for info. Fox edition rzr 1000 has all the adjustability in shock for both riders with out revalving. Next time KEEP DIGGING WATSON lol
What?

Reactions: JoeyD23

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
It is my site, but I am only stressing MY OPINION. I am sure facts wise a properly set up UTV with paddles and clutching would and should pull on a stock UTV with knobby tires. Then again, I don't sweat those little things. I sweat reliability and being able to turn the key, start the machine and having fun with no stress.

As for a shootout. I think that would be good to do, but then I have to listen to all you key board jockeys complain that the guy driving this car doesn't know how to drive and it looks like this guy is in a rougher line and it looks like that guy is letting off and it looks like I don't have proper tire pressure and blah blah blah. As of right now I have no interest in that stuff. lol But money talks in most cases and I would be happy to do it.

The Walkers also had adjustment for all riders, but as you KNOW shocks, like tires, like seats, like lights, like etc etc etc are subject to the user and their opinion.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Never realised knobbies in the dunes were such a touchy subject. Worst then who makes the best turbo kit. Lol Knobby guys probably lie about how many PSI too!

Reactions: JoeyD23 and ROTAX

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
I don't really care. I run stock big horns all the time and LOVE THEM in the sand and they work AWESOME!
I agree.

I have owned 3 different paddles sets over the years. Everyone at time claimed they where the best of the best I could buy for that particular machine. Bleh Every one of the sets where a waste of money. About every 3 months or so for some stupid reason I consider trying them again... but so far I'm running stock bighorns on my turbo maverick, doing just fine. I'd have to see a major difference with my owns eyes before I bought another set.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I agree.

I have owned 3 different paddles sets over the years. Everyone at time claimed they where the best of the best I could buy for that particular machine. Bleh Every one of the sets where a waste of money. About every 3 months or so for some stupid reason I consider trying them again... but so far I'm running stock bighorns on my turbo maverick, doing just fine. I'd have to see a major difference with my owns eyes before I bought another set.
LIES!!! ;)

Duner2

Jun 24, 2014
My take is about driving style and what your comfortable with. I like to dune in 2wd, maybe it's a throw back from my rail days. I don't race the hill or run the drags other then a few times a trip. If you want to be fast at the hill a factory SxS is the wrong choice.
For me for duning STUs feel better then skats or dirt tires. Different strokes for different folks... Let's race

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Yep! For me, that is the most relevant video that I have seen.

I would have loved to have waited on got the new 4 seat turbo but, after seeing the $27,500 price tag, I have no regrets buying my 15 4 seater.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000