RZR-S factory shocks

andyallday

Oct 20, 2009
So I have had the RZR-s for the past year and one problem Im having is the rear of the car is really soft. I hit some pretty tall woops at a good amount of speed and the rear skid plate hits the ground. Now I know Its probly because I weight 270 but im not planning on loosing any weight soon so what can I do? Does anyone make a stiffer spring that will slide right on these fox shocks? Whats are the weak points of the factory shocks? Thanks everyone!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
the springs set the ride height mostly.

the "clickers" control the ride. have you made any compression adjustments on your shocks, I think the S model has adjustability

all SxS will bottom out sooner or later, ya cannot control the terrain, lol

Goodtimes

Jan 17, 2009
Ramona
the springs set the ride height mostly.

the "clickers" control the ride. have you made any compression adjustments on your shocks, I think the S model has adjustability

all SxS will bottom out sooner or later, ya cannot control the terrain, lol
Thats some true and funny stuff right there Rog:D, the longer you operate it the better you get and the more money you will want to put into the suspension and the motor.

andyallday

Oct 20, 2009
I have adjusted the clickers on the shocks. I slowed the shocks down as much as possible. When the shocks are stiff they get hot as shit when we go on long rides. My main consern is how soft the coils are. Is the another coil that I could put on there to make it stiffer?

HOLZ

HOLZ Racing - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 30, 2009
www.holzracingproducts.com
So I have had the RZR-s for the past year and one problem Im having is the rear of the car is really soft. I hit some pretty tall woops at a good amount of speed and the rear skid plate hits the ground. Now I know Its probly because I weight 270 but im not planning on loosing any weight soon so what can I do? Does anyone make a stiffer spring that will slide right on these fox shocks? Whats are the weak points of the factory shocks? Thanks everyone!
They can be revalved, resprung, etc which we can do at our shop. Although, you may just find that those 1.5" shock bodies are too small and light duty to maintain the ride very well as they will heat and fade very fast. Also consider that they come setup from the factory for what is considered the "average rider" that probably weighs less than you do. (no offense)
Invest in a good set of adjustable 2" body shocks. Depending on who you get them from, you may be able to order them with heavier springs.....May I suggest Holz? Oh wait that's me:)

RZRS EDGE BILL

Cuttin' Up The Desert! - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 24, 2009
ELKA ELKA ELKA....The shocks can be ordered by the weight of your car and can be ordered with a high and low speed compression adjustment, rebound as well as preload. We run these on our race car, as do a lot of our competitors and we all swear by them....

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I agree with Holz, shocks are very small ( means little oil) get hot fast. I have heard nothing but good things about Holz racing, I am sure he would redo your shocks, but even they say the shocks are too small really.

even regular FOX 2.0's will be a great upgrade, and none better at tuning them then Todd at HRT motorsports, he has raced FOX's in many diff vehicles, his stuff works period.

RC2's are fantastic, but obviously cost more.

HRT is at 760-788-0019

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Old thread I'll bring back to life. I finally was able to get a set of the Makin' Trax progressive springs 225/250's ordered up. These things are like unicorns and hard to lock down when in stock anywhere. I hope to have them on this weekend in time for a Oct. 23rd Glamis trip (quick 1 day turn around). I know the Fox 2.0's are nice but I also hear these springs are a huge improvement over the stock "S" and for about $400 its a lot less $$$ and allows you to remove the rear sway bar without the body roll. I will follow up with my review in about a week for the install and 2 weeks for a ride review. I spoke to Steve at MT and he says the key is to mail him my shocks for a revalve along with the installation of the new springs. I will do this soon but for now time is tight and I think to do a before and after review with the revalve will be helpful for some.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
A re-valve and respring is WAY cheaper than new shocks. Might want to try this first and see if this helps. You might also want to see if you can purchase larger reservoirs for your stockers for more oil volume. I agree that Holz is the place to go for the revalve. They literally do hundreds of rebuilds/revalves a year for ATV's, UTV's and snowmobiles.

If we are all throwing their $.02 on shock brands...I have to say Walker Evans 2 1/2 inch shocks are awesome! Great ride, zero fade, great customer service and made in the good old US of A.

Seaver

Jul 13, 2010
Boise ID
x2 on Walker Evans, I recently installed a set of the 2" bodied units on my RZR S, Totally different car. I love them. If I would have known how much I was missing I wouldnt have messed with my stockers for the first year.

And x2 on the Walker Evans Service, Revalve and freshen and sent right back to me. Great People.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Moss, whats the scoop? How are the springs compared to stock?...
100% better... I also removed the sway bar and its night and day. I did sand highway at 50 on GPS and it was a nice ride. When I go to Ocotillo the trick is to get on top and stay there on the whoop sections. Its a little bouncy as you start a whoop section getting your speed set to ride the top and also end it as you slow down and start dipping in and out of them (unless the whoops run out). The rear doesn't buck like the stocks did on short jumps. I also gained about an inch of ground clearance front and rear. No more bottoming out unless I hit something large. I did crack an a-arm in the rear but after looking closely it looks like a manufacturer defect. For a $450 upgrade over stock I don't see how they can be beat. Steve still needs to do my revalve but I am real happy as is. These do come with the billet adapter retaining rings as they are coils for a 2" body shock I believe that are fit to the 1.5" body of the "S" shocks.

heres my broke POS stocker

heres one of each on the front

and the rear with one of each

They are great

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000