All UTV's Rzr motor/clutching help

racemx587

Standing On My 4 Big Horns SUCKA! - UTVUnderground
Mar 28, 2009
I need some help with my rzr motor. I'm not sure whether its a motor or a clutching problem. I'm running a hydraulic power steering system in my rzr (I have hand controls all set up and need the lighter steering, we finally got it dialed in right). I'm running a pulley off the crankshaft to power the power steering pump. We ran a larger pulley and a higher pressure pump to get the assistance needed. Once we did this it took a lot from the motor. I knew it would because obviously it takes a lot of power to power the pump. But the motor doesn't feel real boggy like I thought it would, it revs like crazy and doesn't put nearly any power to the ground. It will rev to 6000 rpm's at 20mph then take forever to get up to speed. In the softer dirt, like gravel and mild sand, I'll have it pinned, it will again be a 6000 rpm's and barely be able to go 30.
I know this isn't normal, but it's weird because the motor doesn't feel real bogged down. It revs to the moon and doesn't go anywhere, almost like I'm always in the sand. I now that the pump obviously robs power from the engine but it seems like the clutching is also effected. I know nothing when it comes to CVT's, I came from motocross. But it seems to me like clutching could be an issue. What do you guys think? There has got to be a motor/clutch guru on here that has some insight.

Thanks

odtodd1az

Apr 30, 2009
Glendale AZ
It sounds like the belt is slipping. You'll need to look inside the clutch cover and see. Inspect the belt for any burnt spots. If in doubt throw a back up belt on it. Always remember to wash a new belt with Dawn dishwashing soap and hot water, then let air dry. Make sure the pulleys are clean. Look at the belt alignment and see if the belt is close to the engine side of the pulley on the drive side. Is there any obvious damage, spring not broke, weights and rollers chewed up, pulley faces smooth and not hourglassed. With the cover off and the engine running and the trans in nuetral, see when the drive side engages (grabs the belt) does it move smoothly? as the rpm increases, does the drive side move in and the trans side move out? What rpm?
Opertaional questions: from a stand still to full throttle, what rpm does the engine flash to? does it bounce off the rev limiter? Flat out on hard pack, top speed and rpm? can it get to the rev limiter? or does it seem to hit it early?
This will start to pinpoint clutching issues.
assuming all is ok you'll start to adjust the clutching to your liking. Springs on the drive side adjust your movement rpm and set your lenght of shift. the weights will set your stall and top end (over simplified answer) The driven side spring sets your belt tension and your shift points.
I hope this gets you going in the right direction. if you need more p.m me and I'll be glad to help you out.

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
Thanks for the help, I'll get a chance to play with it in a week or so. I'll check everything out. Once it comes to adjusting things do I need to get an aftermarket clutch or is the stock one adjustable?

Where are you located? I have some clutches laying around and can prolly help you. fyi.. there is a electric power steering upgrade for the rzr's...
I'm in Las Vegas, thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. Yea, we looked into the electric unit but it wasnt strong enough for what I need. It would have made life a lot easier though

odtodd1az

Apr 30, 2009
Glendale AZ
The stock shieves are adjustable. You might call Dirty Dawg performance and talk to dale about their adjustable weights or HP-Designs. Both of them know their stuff on clutching and can at least give you a starting point.

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
Thanks again for the help. Yea, I'll give them a call once I start playing with it. I might have to pm you if I get in there too deep and run into problems, sounds like you know your stuff

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
hope you can get that fixed james so that maybe we can meet up soon and ride together

jerry
Thanks Jerry, we'll have to get riding together soon. I'd love to check out the Glen Helen series with you guys. Hey and I've got a killer hand control setup figured out, we'll have to get in touch sometime soon. Our fab guy did an unreal job putting it all together. Any luck with that rhino?

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
It sounds like the belt is slipping. You'll need to look inside the clutch cover and see. Inspect the belt for any burnt spots. If in doubt throw a back up belt on it. Always remember to wash a new belt with Dawn dishwashing soap and hot water, then let air dry. Make sure the pulleys are clean. Look at the belt alignment and see if the belt is close to the engine side of the pulley on the drive side. Is there any obvious damage, spring not broke, weights and rollers chewed up, pulley faces smooth and not hourglassed. With the cover off and the engine running and the trans in nuetral, see when the drive side engages (grabs the belt) does it move smoothly? as the rpm increases, does the drive side move in and the trans side move out? What rpm?
Opertaional questions: from a stand still to full throttle, what rpm does the engine flash to? does it bounce off the rev limiter? Flat out on hard pack, top speed and rpm? can it get to the rev limiter? or does it seem to hit it early?
This will start to pinpoint clutching issues.
assuming all is ok you'll start to adjust the clutching to your liking. Springs on the drive side adjust your movement rpm and set your lenght of shift. the weights will set your stall and top end (over simplified answer) The driven side spring sets your belt tension and your shift points.
I hope this gets you going in the right direction. if you need more p.m me and I'll be glad to help you out.
I finally got a chance to take it out last weekend. From stand still to full throttle the rpm flashes to 5400-5800 and stays there, but steadily climbs after a while. It will hit 20mph @ this rpm very easily, but take a long time to get any faster. On flat hard pack top speed is high 50's and if there is a small down hill grade it really livens up a bit and I can hit low 60's after a while, if im lucky. The engine doesnt seem to get to the rev limiter, however it will sometimes climb to 6000-6200 rpms. It feels like a dog going up hills though. I have it pinned, rpm's are climbing to 5000-6000 and its barely moving. If I am in any kind of deep dirt or there is any up hill it really slows things down (more than I believe it should). I hope this all makes sense.

1910RLEARD

Sep 28, 2010
POWER STEERING WITH A PUMP AND PULLY SET UP WILL ROB LOTS OF HP. IT WOULD JUST BE LIKE IF YOU HAD A 100 AMP ALTERNATOR INSTALLED AND HAD IT ENERGIZED ALL THE TIME. I THINK YOU SHOULD DISCONNECT THE BELT TO THE P/S AND SEE IF POWER COMES BACK. ALSO JUNK THE SET UP AND INSTALL ELECTRIC P/S KIT. THEY ARE ALREADY MADE TO BOLT IN.
GOOD LUCK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000