RZR 900 build

hurdrzr900

Aug 2, 2014
Hello all-

I have been researching for a while now on building a full race chassis for my rzr 900 while utilizing the stock frame rails. My jig table is complete and the stock frame is sand blasted. I wanted to know if anyone could help direct me or post pictures of where to cut the stock frame, what pieces to save from the frame, and what pieces I wont need. My plan for this build is to get experience building my 900 so that this winter I can do a full BITD spec build with my 1000.

Attachments

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
How far are you thinking of going with this 900? Just my opinion, but, no need to cut stock frame, just add to it.

hurdrzr900

Aug 2, 2014
My thinking is to build the 900 as if I was doing my 1000, but I would rather get the rookie mistakes and learning curve out the way with the 900. The 900 will be my practice/ test and then have the 1000 done up races. I would like to build it close to BITD rules as possible. Pretty much the same as Holz Racing 900 they did for Coastal Racing. I am in CT so there isn't a big UTV scene but it is growing. We have a new race organization that started this year at my friends place in Maine. HemondsMX in Minot, ME. Course will be 1/2 woods 1/2 motocross track. 4 races this year. Building the 900 will get me experience plus give me another car to practice and not worry about running out of talent the day before the race. We know that always happens eventually.

Just need some input on best way to go about chopping up the stock frame and where and what to cut/leave. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
If you are woods racing, take a look at more at a WORCS designed car. A BITD car is too heavy for this type of racing. Also, do you know Peter from Pinnacle Racing? He is from Maine, and runs in that series. Ask him about what is needed.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Good advice. Add more triangles! If you are having trouble finding info put an email in to some of the race shops. They are pretty busy but lots of guys like to shoot the shit.

hurdrzr900

Aug 2, 2014
Thanks guys! Peter is the other founder along with my friend Mike who started this new UTV race series. I lived in California for 2 years a few years back and got hit with the off road bug. I had to come back to CT for family and work otherwise I would still be out there. Then I wouldn't have to worry about trying to figure out how to build a car myself, I would have tons of shops around to help. I am trying to get experience building a desert car so next year I can head out west for 2 races. I would love to do more but this shitty thing called business gets in the way haha. I would rather travel and race desert then race through the woods, but that's just me. I am flying out in Nov. for the 1000 so hopefully I will see you guys out there. Going to use it as a business expense "research and development" lol

In regards to the Maine races, they have very little requirements for frame, roll cage, etc. It is just starting so they are trying to get as many UTV's as they can. I am sure 90% of the guys will be running stock machines. I know Peter travels from Maine to Georgia to race, hence why they are starting the series up North. Hopefully the series gets big and UTV's become as big out here as they do on the west coast. We need some fab shops to open up over here so I am not jamming out in the man cave trying to figure it all out on the fly.

Jake, I have talked to a few shops and everyone has been nothing but helpful. It is just tough being on the east coast and trying to build for west coast racing. And I know those guys are all busy so I hate to take their time up answering my questions. So that's why I will be on a plane to Baja in Nov. and why I wanted to get some input on the forum for my build.

Appreciate the responses!

hurdrzr900

Aug 2, 2014
That's great. Thank you for sharing those pictures. So you basically kept the stock frame intact and made the roll cage to mount to the existing points? Where did you get the fuel cell?

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
The cell is a lsr 14.5 gal cell. It is for a 1k, but will fit a 900 with ease. And yes, my main cage is a highly modified holtz cage. Give me a shout when you start to work on your fuel system. I will give you some info that might help you.

Louisk

Oct 10, 2013
Cool. I work on and help get Peter's car prepped for the races here in Alabama. We've got some things cookin ourselves. And I may make it to one of the races in Maine this season. We'll see. Good luck with your build.

hurdrzr900

Aug 2, 2014
Did you have holtz make the cage for you? I will def reach out when I get to the fuel system or even before if you don't mind me picking your brain on other items. Where are you located?

hurdrzr900

Aug 2, 2014
Thanks Louis. Are you in Maine also with Peter? If so, do you guys prep the car in Maine? I would love to stop by when I am up that way to see how you guys get it done. I am heading up to Helmond's hopefully this weekend if work doesn't through extra meetings in my face.

Louisk

Oct 10, 2013
No problem. I live in Alabama about 30 minutes from the track that UTVRR runs on. Peter does work on his car some in Maine, but fab work and upgrade stuff we do in Alabama.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000