Ruined a bighorn, now what to do?

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
So I put a hole in one of my bighorns and am on the fence wether to get a new set for the stock beadlocks or get new 14" beadlocks. Their isn't a big selection in the 28" range for my stock rims I would like to do 10's all the way around but don't know if they work on stock wheels. I like the rockers but over 200 a tire is a lot. I like the black water evolutions if I keep the stock rims that's what I am thinking, but don't know how 28-10-12 would fit.
So is it worth it to just upgrade to 14's and run mongrels? I just don't wanna spend an arm and a leg on on new stuff when my stock wheels are still good. I'd love to go that way just hard to justify the extra expense.

Zach from NXG

Jul 16, 2013
I know this post is a little old not sure if you got your problem fixed. But 14" wheels offer clearance for the breaks and have a lot of new tire offerings. You would have more expense in buying new 14" wheels, however it does seem like the newer 14" and 15" UTV tires are better suited to handle the weight and capabilities of today's UTV.

What type of UTV do you have?

Also NXG does offer a 14" American Made wheel. http://www.utvunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13047

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Sorry I didn't see the response. I ended up just buying one tire until I save up to go 14's and 30's. thanks for the response.

WATCH OUT FOR THAT.......... rock, never mind.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Ruined another one so the time has come gotta upgrade now. I don't want to keep buying bighorns. Looking at blackwater evolutions or goins 14's

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
I just switched from 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 Big Horns to 27x10x14 EFX Motoclaw 8 plys all the way around and so far I like it. I think my rig tracks better having the same size tire all the way around and these 8ply tires and insanely tough compared to the Big Horns. I definitely lost a little power and my ride quality isn't as good but the trade off I think was worth it.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I am going shopping today for tires and still undecided what I want to do. Those moto claws are nice tires just heavy in the size I am looking at.

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
Yes, they are very heavy. I had wanted the Mongrels first but I wasn't wanting to run a lift so I didn't think I could fit 28's but ended up putting a 2" lift on anyway. If I ever wear these out Mongrel's will be my next set.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I wish their was more options of 28"+ tires for 12" rims. I hate to ditch my perfectly good 12" beadlocks just so I can find tires in the 28-30" range. I am real torn on what to get I have heard a lot of good about mongrels, really like the looks of the blackwater evolutions, I don't plan to buy paddles and want something I can take to the dunes and get decent grip and handle everything I can throw at them in the desert and mountains. And can't figure out to go 28 or 30's. decisions decisions

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
Hey Brian my friend. So, do you do a lot of rock crawling so as to need 28-30" tires? You did very well at Miller Cyn with what you had on.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Every time I go out I end up doing some crawling and the extra clearance would be nice as when I crest over some whoops it drags. I don't want to loose too much pep so I just can't decide what to do. I went down and looked at the mongrels in person and like them a lot but not sure it's worth buying new wheels too. 28-10-12 blackwaters seem like a good option for me, slightly bigger and can use my stock beadlocks. Possibly even go pitbulls even tho they are heavy and $$$

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
The rock I hit came out of no where in the river bottom hahaha it pinched the side wall. The other one my dad was driving it and hit a rock in a tight wash and got the sidewall, said he plugged it and made it back but barely. I had great luck with bighorns on my quad and I like them. But I think I need 8 ply's I know it's not a cure all but it should help.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Just got off the phone with OMF and got some Rock domes coming for my JX wheels! Figured since I will be running a narrower tire on the rear it might be a good idea.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
My Evos's just came in! Mean looking tires that's for sure, as they sit they measure 27" so I'm sure once they are mounted they should be close to 28" which as long as they are bigger than my stock BH's I didn't care.

UtvMilitant

Sep 10, 2013
The rock I hit came out of no where in the river bottom hahaha it pinched the side wall. The other one my dad was driving it and hit a rock in a tight wash and got the sidewall, said he plugged it and made it back but barely. I had great luck with bighorns on my quad and I like them. But I think I need 8 ply's I know it's not a cure all but it should help.

ah can't do anything about rocks in a river.

unless you equip your UTV with SOnar.... hmmm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000