Rockstar Racing Baja 1000 Race Recap

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Baja Bound
Our journey began with Michael Carufel. His lifelong dream has been to race the Baja 1000. He purchased a race car from fellow Can-am racer, Cory Sappington, and with Cory’s help collected a team of drivers, co-drivers and pit support. We headed out on Tuesday night spending the night in the Walmart parking lot in our race trailer in true redneck racing style! We hit Ensenada bright and early on Wednesday morning and signed in receiving our wrist bands. Feeling special, we walked through tech swapping stories with the other racers and enjoying the street tacos. The car passed tech and we headed to Estero Beach to meet with the rest of team. Getting our game plan together we hit the hay, excited for race day!
Michael was first to drive and Dustin Hoffman would co-drive with him. They lined up about 1 pm. We packed their bag with water and candy bars and left them there to meet them at the first pit, race mile 200. While we waited for Michael to arrive, we handed out stickeers to the tons of local children at the pit area. I even signed some autographs and took some photos with some local girls! It was really cool to see their eyes light up when I handed them a hero card with their stickeers. The 1917 crew rolled in followed shortly by the race car. We helped them pit and Eric found an a-arm bolt about to come out. The repairs were made and they sped off into the darkness. As we waited, the 1930 rolled in. Again we helped to check them over and found some loose bolts. We helped them with repairs and sent them off with well wishes into the night. Michael has never raced nor really ever driven off road before. It was an amazing feat for him and he was all smiles as he rolled in the pit for a driver change. After we looked over the car, Louis climbed in and was off for another 200 miles in the dark.
We drove to the next stop listening to the stories of the first 200 miles from Dustin. Michael was more than cautious and a little slow but even got to pass a few cars! We had no contact from the race car via radio and no internet to check on the progress of the car. We pulled off around mile 395 in a pack of other chasers and commenced to take a chase nap. We woke as the sun came up and still no word from our car. The chase team of the 1930 rolled up looking for their car also. As we strained to hear them the 1957 popped out of the desert and rolled towards us. We checked the car over and followed them to Baja pit for fuel. Last word for the 1930 was that it was not moving. As soon as we got cell signal we began to get reports from our eyes at home, my son Trevor. Our car had another slow night on rough terrain and we were concerned that we were getting behind. The car was fueled and a new driver, Jessie jumped in. Jessie’s family made us breakfast and we headed out to the next stop, where myself and Dustin would get back in the car. We passed many small towns and handed out tons of stickeers to the local children as we drove through.
At mile 630 the sun was beginning to go down as our car rolled in. The plan for me was to drive during the day, but because we were behind it was not to be. I would be driving in the dark. We knew the race course paralleled the highway for the next 70 miles. We decided that for safety reasons, I would drive that leg and then hand the car back over to one of the other drivers when the course headed away from the highway across the peninsula. We changed the belt and checked over the car. I climbed in with Dustin by my side and headed out. I asked Dusting to give them a radio check as Eric and I always do when I leave a pit. We heard nothing. Dusting looked down and found the radio on the wrong channel. Dialing it in we then had contact with the team. As we headed out we saw a bunch of people with cameras out. Hmmm seemed to me I have heard that if you see cameras, be cautious. It was a homemade jump and they were ready to document our carnage! I slowed and rolled over it with no issues. I guess it really is true. We barreled on through the tulle bushes right into the worst silt I have seen yet. Luckily, there were also areas of grass and bushes. I ran alongside the tack as much I could to keep from being swallowed in the silt. It went on for miles, but we managed to get through it and headed into the mountains. Giant rolling sand whoops, rocks, a water crossing and beautiful scenery greeted us. We passed a truck and rolled out to the flats again. Our team was waiting to wave us on at road crossing. We honked and waved and motored on. After about a half mile the car sputtered and died. We were out of fuel. I radioed out and just as the team was rolling out to catch us at the next stop, they passed a truck that had 5 gallons of fuel. They purchased the fuel and ran out to us. Fueling us and changing out a low tire they sent us on our way. More silt and more sand whoops and another mountain climb and back down. We saw a town ahead and knew that was our stop. We were so excited. I just couldn’t believe that I had driven a leg of the Baja 1000! I climbed out and a fresh driver sped away for the next 200 miles. We were getting regular updates from our eyes at home and knew the car was booking! We were making up some serious time.
We climbed the longest mountain ever in the chase truck. It took hours to get to the next stop. We set up and prepared for a chase nap when we heard that the car was only 10 miles out and moving slow. No nap for us! The car rolled in and Jessie was driving with a star wrench for a steering wheel! Eric went to work and fixed the wheel, then noticed that the passenger rear cv boot had a small hole. As he began to work, he found the axle nut almost completely backed off. He changed the axle and tightened everything up. We sent them out and we traveled on. We passed by Coco’s corner and the Sur. Lots of nostalgia on this road!
Jessie was on a mission! He continued to make up time. We took a short chase nap and found that we would not be able to catch the car at check 8 or 9 so we headed to the next Baja pit to catch them there. Our eyes at home said they were still moving. We waited a while in the hot sun and chatted with the BFG pit guys. Soon we heard it and saw yellow in the distance. We were concerned with fuel because we were so far behind Baja pits were not always where they were supposed to be. We gave them 5 gallons and headed to the beach to fuel them again. We were taking in the beautiful ocean when we heard them again! We fueled them and headed to the finish line. Jessie was moving so fast we didn’t think we would be able to get there before him.
We made it just as he was pulling on to the finish line mesa! We did it! We finished the 47th Tacate Baja 1000! It was a great team effort but I give special kudos to my husband, Eric. He kept the car going through it all. Congratulations Michael! Your dream and ours has come true. Not only did we finish, we won our class and were one of only 9 UTV’s that finished the race!
Until next time Baja…….

<O:p>
</O:p>

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
I love reading these reports, I have to mute the TV and ignore everything so I can read them... Thanks for sharing, congrats on the finish, that's huge !!!!

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Great job Lacrecia! I was the one who yelled great job while you were in secondary inspection at the border.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Congrats Lacrecia! There is nothing like racing in Baja and you'll have stories for a lifetime.

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Great recap Lacretia! I want to personally thank you and Eric for assisting us in the pits as you noted. I asked Eric to check the rear suspension and thank God he did because that bolt was almost out. We ended up doubling nutting every suspension bolt front and rear because of that during the next couple stops. Unfortunately, we picked up Chupacabra somewhere along the course later :eek: and he rode with us the rest of the way in but at least we finished in the extended time period. :eek:

I do wish you and Eric the very best in the coming year and though you won't be in a CanAm the 1917 of Murray Racing will be rooting for you and happy to provide whatever support we can. Your both outstanding people along with Trevor! See you at Henderson!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000