Robby Gordon's Arctic Cat Wildcat

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
he has a turbo version. virtually identical to whats pictured just more power. whats pictured above is the production chassis with hand built things all over as its still a virtual running prototype. there will be an NA verision and a Turbo version.

Arctic cat will sell each of these machines at the dealers, the NA and the turbo. they will also have a fully built Race version basically identical to what Robby had racing in Baja. Those were production chassis with a VIN but they will be built at Robbys shop in NC from what i understand. the race version will sell with a score legal cage and fuel cell and have all sorts of trick parts like a driveline mounted alternator and billet beefy parts everywhere in place of a production models cast parts. the race version will have skins and be legal to buy at the dealer and go race the following day after being tech'd at whatever race series you plan to run. Robby took the AC chassis and assembled them into race machines before baja 1000. once everything is finalized they will have their own assembly process and be building the race version in house.

the race version is light and strong. the reasons they didnt do well in baja was axle issues, an oil line coming off and draining an engine dry, and one of the drivers walked away at a pit because he didnt want to race the machine anymore. they wanted to do good, and honestly like many of the other teams that didnt finish, there were some small simple things that plagued their race and unfortunately after a not so stellar start to the race career of the new wildcat, they just kept it quiet and considered the baja 1000 as R&D.

Robby has designed the trans and axles and is waiting on patents on them before running them into assembly. but from what i understand he designed everything to be 400hp capable. i am not sure how they will get away with racing in the production class considering they arent on the lot yet. yes that leaves a less than desired after taste in many folks mouth. and after Max running a few races ago everyone is clammering about the rules and what some can get away with. i know max is young and most though it was unsafe. honestly he has more seat time than some grown-ups who are out for a "joy ride" living out a fantasy of desert racing. and as i could see the wildcat that he raced, it did have a low flip out screen that many considered a door. once it opened you could see the chassis was welded up and there was definitely an upper door bar that i believe would definitely let the machine pass tech. i definitely cant speak on Corys behalf on the situation, the last race or this coming race, but i hope that everything gets sorted out and we can all have a good time.

Reactions: Simi Dude and ssb4

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
The bigger question is can Arctic Cat stay in business long enough to build a 1000 of these units.

If they do.....how long till everything go's to shit with RG and he sues them?
I belive the lower than expected earnings were more to do with the lack of snow than anything else. One good long snowy winter like the one thats happening now is all it will take . The new snow bike they recently introduced will be a hit I am hearing and the awards they have won for the new 4 stroke turbo they introduced will only help sales. I think their future will be brite. I wouldn't have said that a year ago though.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
he has a turbo version. virtually identical to whats pictured just more power. whats pictured above is the production chassis with hand built things all over as its still a virtual running prototype. there will be an NA verision and a Turbo version.

Arctic cat will sell each of these machines at the dealers, the NA and the turbo. they will also have a fully built Race version basically identical to what Robby had racing in Baja. Those were production chassis with a VIN but they will be built at Robbys shop in NC from what i understand. the race version will sell with a score legal cage and fuel cell and have all sorts of trick parts like a driveline mounted alternator and billet beefy parts everywhere in place of a production models cast parts. the race version will have skins and be legal to buy at the dealer and go race the following day after being tech'd at whatever race series you plan to run. Robby took the AC chassis and assembled them into race machines before baja 1000. once everything is finalized they will have their own assembly process and be building the race version in house.

the race version is light and strong. the reasons they didnt do well in baja was axle issues, an oil line coming off and draining an engine dry, and one of the drivers walked away at a pit because he didnt want to race the machine anymore. they wanted to do good, and honestly like many of the other teams that didnt finish, there were some small simple things that plagued their race and unfortunately after a not so stellar start to the race career of the new wildcat, they just kept it quiet and considered the baja 1000 as R&D.

Robby has designed the trans and axles and is waiting on patents on them before running them into assembly. but from what i understand he designed everything to be 400hp capable. i am not sure how they will get away with racing in the production class considering they arent on the lot yet. yes that leaves a less than desired after taste in many folks mouth. and after Max running a few races ago everyone is clammering about the rules and what some can get away with. i know max is young and most though it was unsafe. honestly he has more seat time than some grown-ups who are out for a "joy ride" living out a fantasy of desert racing. and as i could see the wildcat that he raced, it did have a low flip out screen that many considered a door. once it opened you could see the chassis was welded up and there was definitely an upper door bar that i believe would definitely let the machine pass tech. i definitely cant speak on Corys behalf on the situation, the last race or this coming race, but i hope that everything gets sorted out and we can all have a good time.
FYI The driver who left did so when the race was over for them. Yes Robby carried on for testing purposes but check 2 was missed by hours.

ROTR

Rock Crawler
Mar 9, 2011
Utah
www.rallyontherocks.com
My question is what makes Max's car "unlimited". It was a few years ago and people were jumping into the unlimited class to get podiums and they had to make a rule not allowing that, only allowing true unlimited cars in that class. It's not a stretch with the attrition rate and only 7 entries in the unlimited class for Max to get a podium. Great if he earns it and his car really belongs in that class. Seems to me if he is racing the same car he drove at bluewater that he should be in the pro non turbo class and Robby should be unlimited.

Reactions: JoeyD23

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
My question is what makes Max's car "unlimited". It was a few years ago and people were jumping into the unlimited class to get podiums and they had to make a rule not allowing that, only allowing true unlimited cars in that class. It's not a stretch with the attrition rate and only 7 entries in the unlimited class for Max to get a podium. Great if he earns it and his car really belongs in that class. Seems to me if he is racing the same car he drove at bluewater that he should be in the pro non turbo class and Robby should be unlimited.
Another good question

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix

Reactions: ssb4

ssb4

Feb 13, 2015
Safecraft’s New Model UTV to Showcase at Parker 250 “Show Down in the Desert”
in Max Gordon’s Speed UTV at the Best in the Desert’s Winter Nationals

Max Gordon, 8, son of NASCAR legend Robby Gordon

Pittsburg, Calif. -- Safecraft Fire Suppression Systems, the racing industry’s standard for fire safety for over 20 years and SPEED Energy Drink, a healthy alternative energy drink developed by NASCAR legend Robby Gordon, today announced the duo will kick off the 2017 Best in the Desert racing series at this weekend’s Parker 250 “Show Down in the Desert” by sponsoring Gordon’s 8 year-old son Max, the youngest driver to race in the history of Best in the Desert, as he vies for victory, Pro Unlimited Class, in a Speed UTV equipped with Safecraft’s new Model UTV system.

“I’m a racer and I’m also a dad,” said Robby Gordon, well-known American racecar driver and founder of the Speed Energy Formula Off-Road series. “I wouldn’t use anything but the best, especially when it comes to protection for my son. Safecraft is a name I trust.”

“Safety has always been our primary concern,” said Pat O’Keefe, CEO of Safecraft and veteran racecar driver. “Safecraft’s Model UTV is the first and only system designed specifically for UTVs. With its ever increasing popularity especially with more and more younger drivers getting into the sport, we felt it was time to step up safety measures by developing and designing a system specifically for the UTV enthusiast.”

Max “Mad Max” Gordon, 8, is the son of off-road and racing legend Robby Gordon. " I can't wait to race this weekend in Parker, driving the Safecraft Safety Equipment/SPEED Energy SST UTV! I raced here last year with my dad and I learned so much and I passed a bunch of cars! It feels good to race again and I am going to have a good finish this weekend!"

The Best In The Desert (BITD) is a premier and popular desert racing organization with a nine-event race schedule for 2017. As is the tradition, the 2017 season kicks off January 6th and 7th in Parker, Arizona with the Parker 250 “Show Down in the Desert” race. However, this year’s event features new sponsor GMZ Race Products, Inc., and the new “GMZ UTV Winter Nationals presented by Polaris.” The “Showdown in the Desert” is open to all Motorcycle, Quad and UTV classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pballistic

Aug 30, 2016
Like I posted in the thread you started on the SMG RZR, it is legal and will pass tech for Pro Turbo class. Cory and Holz discussed the design and the suspension design is within the rules.

As for the RG vehicle. I have been told that RG will also pass tech because they will be building 1000 of these machines to be sold for $75K through Arctic Cat as race ready machines. Why he is legal to race now without them being available to the public to me is BS but thats not my place. Its nothing against RG or Arctic Cat at all, its just a weird shift in the rules for which the OEMs have operated by up until now. I'll call Casey up to get his take so I can report accurately as to what is legal and what isn't.
Actually, you can order that car right now... I talked to Todd Romano around the time of PRI and he said they are taking orders and had quite a few orders coming in after the 1000...

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Reactions: warlock

Pballistic

Aug 30, 2016

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
But the dealers were told almost a year ago that they were going to be offering a "race only turbo model" available by spring 2017... So it's not like there is a secret to be kept there.
LOL!! Spring of 2017 is not here...per the written rules it dont pass....But just like anything else they will let it go. By all means bring a race legal car like the rest of the field is required to do....its good for racing, its good for OEM's, and its good for racers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 450grl

Pballistic

Aug 30, 2016
LOL!! Spring of 2017 is not here...per the written rules it dont pass....But just like anything else Casey will let it go. By all means bring a race legal car like the rest of the field is required to do....its good for racing, its good for OEM's, and its good for racers.
YOU CAN GO TO YOUR DEALER AND ORDER IT TODAY! it they said "BY spring 2017"

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
YOU CAN GO TO YOUR DEALER AND ORDER IT TODAY! it they said "BY spring 2017"
I'm sure that S3 and the Murrays would have liked to been afforded that luxury at Vegas to reno when they had to throw points away because their new X3's were not legal yet.

Pballistic

Aug 30, 2016
I'm sure that S3 and the Murrays would have liked to been afforded that luxury at Vegas to reno when they had to throw points away because their new X3's were not legal yet.
They were not available to order until the Monday after the race for the X3... As they say, don't hate the player, hate the game...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000