Yamaha Rhino Owners?

Bart

UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 10, 2012
Canyon Lake, Ca.
I am basically a new UTV owner....I have rode dirtbikes up until this season...I have been passenger in a few utvs...at the beginning of this season got a deal on a rhino that I didn't really want to pass up...

My question is, what kind of maintainence are you guys doing and how often?

I bought the rhino with a fresh oil and oil filter change, after two trips out to ocotillo, i changed the oil and filter myself again, and cleaned and oiled the uni air filter...since then i have been out another 3 times...just wondering besides the normal oil, oil filter, air filter....what other things should I be checking and maintaining?

'06 Rhino 660, JBS sheave, Black Rhino CDI, Muzzy Exhaust, Walker Evans Shocks

Pics are in my profile if interested

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Welcome to the Underground. We also have an 06 Rhino - they are very reliable and fun machines. Only maintenance in 2600 miles it has needed has been regular oil & filter changes, many air filter cleanings. It does seem to use a spark plug twice a year, adjusted the valves once, changed a pilot jet, changed the diff fliuds, and put brake pads on it. Still has the original battery, sheave and belt. It has been the most reliable SxS we own. Have fun with your new machine.

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
Keep up on the air filter for sure. I bought an extra one so I can swap out filters after each weekend and clean the one I took out and oil it and have it ready to rock. I usually go over all the bolts on the suspension and wheel lugs at least twice during the season. I change oil after every weekend and filter every other oil change. I look at it as cheap insurance. I have great reliable luck with my rhino. Oh yeah fuel filters are a common problem I carry a spare with me where ever I go.

Pokahpolice

Sep 4, 2011
Standish, Maine
Besides everything that has already been mentioned.

The only issue I've had with mine was overheating. Keep the radiator clean...I also bought a shroud. I plan on pulling my radiator 2-3 times this year to give it a good pressure wash. It's really the only way to clean it correctly.

Beat the snot out of it and have fun! They can take it!

Firefighter

Just haggin out
Mar 7, 2013
Arkansas
Be sure and check front and rear diffs - level - cleanness of fluid. Milky look is water. Diffs are very expensive. I would also recommend servicing primary and secondary clutch sheaves every 500 miles if You ride a lot of dust.

Kenny G

Mar 7, 2013
Cowboy State / Wyoming
Hey Bart, Good lookin Rhino. You'll need to get a needle greaser to hit some of the u-joints on the Rhino. Drain the cooler after the weekend. Hate getting a beer out of a stinky cooler. lol..

Bart

UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 10, 2012
Canyon Lake, Ca.
Changed the oil this weekend, Cleaned and oiled the air filter, checked front and rear diffs, replaced crusty spark plug, and greased the ujoints.

Oh and Cooler is cleaned and ready for Ocotillo this weekend! :D

poolguy311

Sep 19, 2011
Landscatter,CA
Change diff oil often and make sure you use good synthetic oil, like amsoil. Also keep ujoints greased and every couple of seasons clean completely and regrease your cv's with lucas red! Take it from me I have raced and beat the crap out of my rhino. GO JBS!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

onebuilder

Dec 20, 2009
Skull Valley, AZ.
In addition to the mentioned items already. Check your belt, and rear diff mount bolts. If it has a filter on the cvt, keep it clean. Also, if it still has the stock fuel pump, get rid of it. Replace it with the Mikuni pump and fuel line kit. Several vendors like Weller Racing sell the kit. Pull the boots back on the rear driveline and put a little grease on the splines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000