Yamaha Rhino family fun machine

funder

Nov 11, 2010
www.fundercustoms.com
The past few weeks i have been studying every build I can here on utvunderground.com and have enjoyed seeing the creativity and skill members of this forum share. So here i go.

I recently purchased a Rhino project missing all the plastic, cage, seats and front diff. Hopefully I will be able to follow through with my plans for this build with more determination than the previous owner.

The main goal of this build is to have an affordable machine that I will feel safe enjoying with my wife and daughter and that has the looks of a custom build. I love the look of the KOH rides and the widened and dropped cages so I plan to finish my rhino out with a few of these details.

The Muzzys treryx has been the major source of vision. I love the boat sides and welded doors that look a little lower than most I have seen.

I hope to post pics as the project evolves.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Very cool Andy! Welcome to the site, you picked the right place to gather insperation for your custom build! Jon Crowleys Muzzys powered Kawasaki Teryx is one of the premier Desert/Rock race UTV's. Take good notes and post up your progress!

funder

Nov 11, 2010
www.fundercustoms.com
Here is an update.
I have been bending tube and getting it all tacked together.

The rockers have been widened 3" per side and are 5" higher than stock. The seat mounts have been lowered 1.75" and it is really coming together. The A pillar is 3"wider per side and the B pillar is 4.5" wider per side and positioned to allow my seat to be moved back a little more. The bed is just there for mock-up and to help see where bed sides need to be.

I got the HCR +6 long travel from powder coat today. The welds they have on their parts are so impressive thatI hated to cover them up so I had to have them clear coated. I plan to clear the new cage parts as well.

It is starting to take shape and I cant wait to get it on the ground and rolling just to see the new stance.

Attachments

Chengo

Oct 14, 2009
I am looking for used plastic shroud that mounts below the shifter and sits in front of the motor . Do you still have that part $.

funder

Nov 11, 2010
www.fundercustoms.com
A little more progress.

This weekend I was able to spend a few hours working on the rhino. A little more of the cage in place and i welded the rockers and lowest parts of the cage. I will add some more bars when it is on the ground.

The doubler plates are welded at the mounting points for the suspension. The A arms fit perfect and look great on there.

I am trying to decide what type of fuel cell to use considering the stock one wont fit anymore. I am leaning toward fabricating dual tanks for under the seats because i dont want to sacrifice the bed for a fuel tank.

The other thing I am trying to decide on is welded doors or opening doors. I know that opening doors would be nice but a welded side would be a lot easier. Would i get sick of crawling in and out of it if the sides were welded?

Attachments

funder

Nov 11, 2010
www.fundercustoms.com
This week I was able to get a lot of things done in the rhino. The suspension in completely installed and the cage is almost done. I plan to build doors and will add a another brace to the A pillar and x brace the B pillars.

I will not be using the bed so I positioned the bed sides to clear the tires with the suspension at full droop. There will be an aluminum pan in place of the original bed later.

The hood I acquired did not have the grill or headlights so I ordered a set of HID lights from ebay and decided they would look cool in the factory location. I started with some .120" aluminum sheet and made a grill panel with some tabs attached for the hood to hinge from and then cut the hood to accommodate the 7" round lights. Finally, brackets were welded to the grill-hood hinge to hold the lights.

I am pretty happy with the look, hopefully it all works.

Attachments

funder

Nov 11, 2010
www.fundercustoms.com
It's been a while since i have had time to post updates on my rhino build. A lot has been happening and it is almost ready for the first off road adventure.

The fuel tanks are done and seats are mounted. The fuel lines were hooked up and the rhino started right up. What a relief!

Aluminum panels are installed in the bed and floor and dash to fill in spaces left from the new cage.

King shocks and reservoirs are mounted and I have made a few test runs up and down the street in front of my shop. I have a few welds to complete the cage and aluminum engine cover and need to install the side panels.

Jimbo at HCR is doing some final tuning and it should be ready for it's first adventure this weekend, Logandale or Sand Hollow. I cant wait!

There is still a long list of things i want to do to the rhino, but it is getting warm here and that means getting out.

Attachments

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
Great lookin build, luv the design of the raised rockers. Gives the rhino a whole different look and much better for rock crawling. I can't tell you how many times I've got hung up on those.

You've got mad skills man, keep up the good work and keep the pic's coming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000