Reliability of streetbike powered rhinos?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
maybe i can help.. Iv been in contact with the seller also.

id also like to get the opinion the the setup. here is a picture the seller sent me.
Small sprockets and short chain might lead to high chain temps.Plus is doesnt look like he is taking very good care of that chain.

roostingrhino

Roost That Rhino - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 21, 2009
my gear ratio is 5.5:1 it can creep slow... i mostly ride the dunes with mine and some fields it will do ok in really rocky stuff but where a r1 rhino shines is wide open places... but the power is very smooth and capable of lower speed driving it just all depends on the gear ratio... i dont race mine and wouldnt want as high of gearing as the weller kit i have herd its around 3.5:1 thats great for racing but just all around driving i think lower is better for me...

joshuabuilt

Jan 30, 2011
san diego
I have A hayabusa powered arctic cat prowler and I love it and the only maint issue I have had is to replace both sprokets a the chain every season, But I would rather deal with that than all the cvt issues...... good luck

alreadygone

Feb 8, 2011
thanks for the response guys.

what your opinion on the driveablilty of these things with a FNR box? i know wildearp stated that he had the weller setup which is geared more for top end racing..

i do alot of az trail rides, i stil want to be able to go slow up hills etc can streetbike powered rhino with a jeffco do this?

roostingrhino

Roost That Rhino - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 21, 2009
yes the fnr boxes are much lower geared makes them more driveable at slower speeds

alreadygone

Feb 8, 2011
yes the fnr boxes are much lower geared makes them more driveable at slower speeds

how slow do you think i can go, in a automatic cvt sxs i usually just put up the hills around 5 mph. cause i dont know what could be on the other side. i hear of people with swaps having to power up the hill quick.

iv never driven one, but am i able to leave it in 1st gear and putt up the hill? do you have any experience climbing semi technical rocky stuff?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
my RZR with R1 motor has a 12 tooth front sproket and 68 tooth rear sproket with a modified Weller Racing R1 install kit. i can idle in 1st gear slow around 5mph.

remember the streetbike inline 4 cylinder motors are high revving motors and do not like to be lugged around much. redline on my R1 motor is 14k. its like driving a banshee the hp is high but torque is low.

sounds like you need a SV1 motor or equal for your needs.

alreadygone

Feb 8, 2011
my RZR with R1 motor has a 12 tooth front sproket and 68 tooth rear sproket with a modified Weller Racing R1 install kit. i can idle in 1st gear slow around 5mph.

remember the streetbike inline 4 cylinder motors are high revving motors and do not like to be lugged around much. redline on my R1 motor is 14k. its like driving a banshee the hp is high but torque is low.

sounds like you need a SV1 motor or equal for your needs.
yea sounds like it from what iv read, but i dont have the cash or time to start my own build, the ride im interested in purchasing has a kawi zx10r motor with a jeffco rearend. I asked the owner how the slow speed driveability for the desert, he really doesnt know since he dunes.

but he did mention that the original builder of the car built it for the desert.

from what iv read here seems like the car would be super fun in the open flat trails, but im also concerned cause out in az where i ride has really slow speed steep hills that are tight, so im wondering if i can navigate through it at slow speed and have the enough power to do it without having to rev it out all the time.

alreadygone

Feb 8, 2011
terrain like this, but a steeper and off camber would 2wd make it up ok?

got this picture from a rzr thread. not mine

Attachments

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
One thing that can always be done is changing the gear ratio by either adding a larger sprocket to the gear box side, or even changing the gears internally, as i think they have a few different ratios available. I would call the gear box manufacturer to see what is available. Also, when you are looking at it, see if there is plenty of room for a bigger sprocket on the gear box. Since the street bike motors have 6 gears, you should be able to gear that sucker down really low, and start in 2nd for normal driving, and use 1st for only slow speed crawling.

Just to give you an idea, i have never hit 4th gear with our R1 Weller set up... and i have had the car up to 100 mph (or pretty close). Top of 2nd is about 65 to 75 mph on the track. So you should have plenty of room for gearing to make it crawl really slow, and still be capable of high speeds.

G-

alreadygone

Feb 8, 2011
One thing that can always be done is changing the gear ratio by either adding a larger sprocket to the gear box side, or even changing the gears internally, as i think they have a few different ratios available. I would call the gear box manufacturer to see what is available. Also, when you are looking at it, see if there is plenty of room for a bigger sprocket on the gear box. Since the street bike motors have 6 gears, you should be able to gear that sucker down really low, and start in 2nd for normal driving, and use 1st for only slow speed crawling.

Just to give you an idea, i have never hit 4th gear with our R1 Weller set up... and i have had the car up to 100 mph (or pretty close). Top of 2nd is about 65 to 75 mph on the track. So you should have plenty of room for gearing to make it crawl really slow, and still be capable of high speeds.

G-
thats really good info thanks greg!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Gear reduction in gear boxes.

RPM starts at 4.75:1 and also has the option to run a break on the box
Tom Pro 1.38:1 gear reduction and has a break on the box
Jeffco 3.3:1 gear reduction, open diff and no break options so outboard breaks are required.

I looked at all these things when I built my car. If I were going to do it all over again I would most likely use a RPM box. I like the Jeffco box the best but being that it is an open diff and had no break on the box i went with TomPro. The R1 engine is geared waaaay different than a busa motor and I was afraid the gear ratio was going to be too low if I went with RPM.

alreadygone

Feb 8, 2011
Gear reduction in gear boxes.

RPM starts at 4.75:1 and also has the option to run a break on the box
Tom Pro 1.38:1 gear reduction and has a break on the box
Jeffco 3.3:1 gear reduction, open diff and no break options so outboard breaks are required.

I looked at all these things when I built my car. If I were going to do it all over again I would most likely use a RPM box. I like the Jeffco box the best but being that it is an open diff and had no break on the box i went with TomPro. The R1 engine is geared waaaay different than a busa motor and I was afraid the gear ratio was going to be too low if I went with RPM.

thats good info, Im not really gear ratio savy, but i know the numbers you posted have to do in relation to the amount of revolution when coupled with the motor.

On the rpm and tom pro why is the middle number so high?
the car im looking at is running a jeffco setup. i spoke with jeffco and he said it has a lsd.. will i have problems climbing stuff with the jeffco? how do these boxes hold up to the power of the streetbike motors? i know the web site states 300hp, but is it like a rail where i need to rebuild every season?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000