Red Lands Racing/Motive Engineering BITD build

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
As we neared completion we decided to weigh it to see where we were at. We were way over weight for the tube size we used. After analizing everything we could do to get under race legal weight we had to through in the towel and scrap the whole thing.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
Hey guys, don't believe everything you read online! Hahaha.

We have made some changes along the way but this build has been so planned out we knew the weight within 5% from the start.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
As we neared completion we decided to weigh it to see where we were at. We were way over weight for the tube size we used. After analizing everything we could do to get under race legal weight we had to through in the towel and scrap the whole thing.

What exactly is "under race legal weight"?

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
It's Alive! It's Alive!!

I'm excited to see all the innovation that went into building this machine on the track. I've been lucky to see some behind the scenes of this machine during its build, and know how much went into it and how subtle somethings are, and will be overlooked by most.

Congrats to the Red Lands team for daring to think outside the box and building a true race machine from the ground up.

Last edited:

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
I know mr badassmav has been looking forward to seeing this car run for some time now

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Mr. Badassmav just got the internet back on the big screen. Hallelujah! No more "crap" talk on my puny screened cell.
I really like it when a build that is well thought out, and is also based on solid engineering does well out of the box. I was, and still am one of Red Lands biggest fans. Building a properly designed car is not hard, it just takes time. The rate at which these custom/race UTV's are being built amazes me. Everyone is in such a hurry to get their car finished before the rules change, or in time for the next big race, that they don't take the time to thoroughly plan and design their build. Hand built cars like the Monstermav and the Red Lands "project" (Haha! What else do you call a year long build? Zane knows I'm just yanking his chain) are far and few between, and takes a pretty solid commitment to see through to the track. I'm glad the team persevered and made it happen Results speak for themselves. I don't know how their driver ranks compared to a Burnett, Scheuler or Angal, but I can say with a fair amount of confidence that their car is a MAJOR contributing factor to their early success. Congrats to the them on a start to what can turn out to be a winning BITD season. Hell, we won when it was easy. The X guys racked up championship after championship when it was no where near as competitive as it is now. I know the old Maverick would not be so badass against the quality field of cars racing today. Marc's new long wheel base RZR is as fast a UTE as he's ever had, and reliability will be the only thing keeping him away from victory circle this season.
The competition can breathe a sigh of relief now that Johnny has added the truck to his racing plate. Once his car broke down at the Mint, he was quick to call it a day and prepare for the truck race.. Not like him to give up so quickly when finishing points were still available. When I called him on it, he said he wasn't going to limp a car around the track just to see the checkers. The fact that he only wants to race if the car is competitive says a lot about the driver he knows he is..He, along with Marc, were the fastest drivers in the class for some time. The guys who, if given identical equipment, would school the field in any match race.
Now, the S3 guys, Guthrie, and many others bring a level of competition this class deserves. It's a shame Lambert stayed with the Non-turbo car. He belongs with the field of drivers campaigning the turbos. (Now here's a good idea Joey. Have an invitational race at the end of the season for the top 5 drivers in points and let them race in identically prepared UTE's. A celebrity race of sorts. Maybe in both short course and desert disciplines like your UTV world champ race format. Then, all their excuses go out the window. You know Polaris would help finance such an event. Hell, put them in shifter carts. It wont matter what they race, cause these badass drivers will be fast in any racing environment}

Anyhow, good job Red Lands Racing. I like rooting for the underdog, but I'm not so sure you are one now!

Reactions: motive

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
The competition can breathe a sigh of relief now that Johnny has added the truck to his racing plate. Once his car broke down at the Mint, he was quick to call it a day and prepare for the truck race.. Not like him to give up so quickly when finishing points were still available. When I called him on it, he said he wasn't going to limp a car around the track just to see the checkers. The fact that he only wants to race if the car is competitive says a lot about the driver he knows he is..He, along with Marc, were the fastest drivers in the class for some time. The guys who, if given identical equipment, would school the field in any match race.
Now, the S3 guys, Guthrie, and many others bring a level of competition this class deserves. It's a shame Lambert stayed with the Non-turbo car. He belongs with the field of drivers campaigning the turbos. (Now here's a good idea Joey. Have an invitational race at the end of the season for the top 5 drivers in points and let them race in identically prepared UTE's. A celebrity race of sorts. Maybe in both short course and desert disciplines like your UTV world champ race format. Then, all their excuses go out the window. You know Polaris would help finance such an event. Hell, put them in shifter carts. It wont matter what they race, cause these badass drivers will be fast in any racing environment}

Anyhow, good job Red Lands Racing. I like rooting for the underdog, but I'm not so sure you are one now!
I think our results speak for our choice to run the N/A car.... Our NA car ran in the top of the field of the Turbo cars all day at the Mint. Until our NA car can no longer do that....its our weapon of choice. Just because there is a new model with wizbang parts dont mean its superior in the desert. We ran Sims down 8 miles from the finish and went for a pass....twice.....Just ask him...He claims we gave him his first rear bumper dent. If his car is now dialed in and ready for War....the rest of the year is going to be a fun battle....Trust me when I tell you....we didnt want to race in the N/A class....we wanted to bring a Knife to a Gun fight in the Turbo Class.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
It's good to see you back around here Reid. You, more than most, know what is involved in trying to step outside the box and try to do something new. Try to improve the mouse trap. It requires a commitment that is absolutely staggering. The whole time you think it will be better than anything out there (everyone thinks that, got to have some faith or why do it) but you also wonder if it will ever be done. Will it fail miserably? People start telling you stories of others who have tried and failed. Take the time you think it will take to build: double it and increase the units by 1. I could go one but no one will really understand till they try it for themselves. I will say it would have failed if it wasn't for the bond that 3 crazy brothers had and the desire to see the top of a podium that drove all of us. Between the three of us... I can't imagine what it would have cost if you put a modest dollar amount to the time each of us invested. But that's what you do when you love something to obsession!

As far a the driver skill goes, I think Ryan is doing a great job. Each race he is getting more comfortable. Driving in dust is a skill and a prayer that doesn't come overnight or even after a season of racing. As a part time co driver I see moments that the adrenaline is pumping and I either need to slow him down or pucker up. There are also moments that I have felt he could go faster but no one wants to throw away a car that they have been working on for over a year and the driver is the best judge of what he is comfortable with and what the car is doing. It has taken a lot of patience to build this car and I think Ryan is staying patient as he is learning both the cars and his own abilities.

I think if you threw a bunch of the top drivers in identical cars it would tell you nothing except who could wad up someone else's money and hard work the fastest. The only reason the land rush start at the UTVWC has been so incident free both years is because each one of those racers had to buy, build, fix their car. Keeping a car intact for hundreds of miles is a lesson that many racers haven't learned. That is probably Cognitos greatest weapon. They know exactly what their car is capable of. They know how to maintain it. They know how to not throw away a race by over driving it. While a good portion of the "top drivers" in the turbo class have been dealing with sorting out issues, Lambert has shown there is more than one way to win a race. Its not a shame at all that he stayed in the NA class because he is still giving the turbo cars the level of competition that all the guys that switched to the turbo class for the reason of "running with the top" wanted. We have two class now but don't be fooled. EVERYONE is racing for the overall and Justin hasn't given the turbos any slack yet. (Congradulations by the way on the great winning streak!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000