Ram "Long-Hauler" Concept is the Ultimate Tow Truck

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Looking for the ultimate tow rig to pull your fifth-wheel horse trailer, car hauler or RV across the U.S. with just two refueling stops? The Ram Long-Hauler concept could be all the pickup truck you’ll ever need. It almost makes the 2007 Dodge Ram BFT look like a compact.

We're all over the Long-Hauler, along with our friends at Diesel Power Magazine.

The Long-Hauler name fits the truck’s length and driving range. The 197.4-inch-wheelbase pickup is based on the Class 5 Ram 5500 medium-duty chassis cab commercial truck (19,500 pounds gross vehicle weight). It’s been upfitted with an 8-foot long dual-rear-wheel cargo box and an extra 110 gallons of diesel fuel capacity – 60 gallons in a custom midship reservoir positioned between cab and bed and 50 gallons in a bed-mounted combo fuel tank and toolbox – for a total of 162 gallons. Pulling a big trailer, that's about 1,600 miles to 2,000 miles of range, by our estimates.

To make the ride as comfortable as possible, the Long-Hauler features Ram’s four-door Mega Cab configuration, which offers the most interior volume of any full-size pickup. For backseat passengers, there are adjustable footrests, tray tables, a refrigerator and Wi-Fi connectivity. It’s also trimmed inside and out with Ram’s new top-of-the-line Laramie Longhorn option package.

Under the hood is a 6.7-liter Cummins inline-six-cylinder oil burner rated at 305 horsepower and 610 pounds-feet of torque. It’s paired with a six-speed Aisin automatic transmission. The gross combined weight rating is 37,500 pounds, according to an information card that was with the truck when it debuted at the Mid-America Truck Show earlier this year.

Say goodbye to squat. All four corners have 19.5-inch Alcoa aluminum 10-lug wheels that are paired with a Kelderman airbag suspension front and rear to manage its high GCWR. The suspension is self-leveling and can manage the air springs independently, kneeling or raising them to provide an optimal rake for the truck.

Who’s the Long-Hauler customer? It’s aimed at power pullers who are looking to step up from a one-ton truck to more capable tow vehicle but think that Class 6 rigs, like a Freightliner SportChassis, are too much truck and too expensive. Think rodeo competitors, farm owners and full-time RVers.

There’s no word on whether we’ll see the Long-Hauler reach production, but we think certain elements, such as the air suspension, could reach the Ram Heavy Duty lineup.

If you want to check it out yourself, the Ram Long-Hauler will be at the Kentucky Derby on May 6 and 7 in Louisville.

In the meantime, also be sure to read Diesel Power's Long-Hauler story.

Ram "Long-Hauler" Concept is the Ultimate Tow Truck - PickupTrucks.com News

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i love it!!!!!!!! cummins motor, allison transmission, mega cab(my favorite), longbed, and a dually with 19.5's. what else do you need in a truck? i bet she ain't cheap.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
162 times 4.50 a gal. $729 to fill it up :eek:

I like the truck, but not the bed extension, looks like an afterthought.

Joey, ya getting a Cummins Ram next? ;)

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Nope, FORD blue pumpin in these veins....lol But that Dodge above is one bad ass truck! In Texas I saw a brand new Mega Cab, Short Bed, 4x4 Dualie with a Cummin's in it!!! It was BAD ASS!!!!
they are, I think that is what PoFlo has now the last trip to Glamis!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Yep....and let me tell you about how much room there is in the back seat....My knees were 4 inches from the seat in front of me on the trip to ANZA...plenty of room in the back for a 6+ foot tall man to sit and be comfortable.:D

FBT

That is a heck of a truck, it is nice to see the manufacturers responding to the desires of the market, and exploring concepts like this.
My problem is twofold.
I am old, and will never buy a diesel truck that needs a trip to the smog man. Call it stubborn, call ti what you want; I aint gonna do it.
Price.
This truck is going to be pointed at people who can pay cash for it, because the payment is going to be about twice what a 40k truck would be, and that was too much money. I saved up for about 5 years to pay cash for my '97 F-350, my hand shook like a leaf when I wrote that check and I don't wanna go through that again.
But that is a bitchin' truck.

poflo

Jan 3, 2011
Yep,mines a mega cab dually,no center extension.........Joey,you walked right past the truck,saturday,at the races,when we met,and you were putting decals on the Madhouse cars.Sure do like the truck

ageekwithajeep

UTVUnderground La-Familia
Oct 13, 2010
Spokane Wa
That is a heck of a truck, it is nice to see the manufacturers responding to the desires of the market, and exploring concepts like this.
My problem is twofold.
I am old, and will never buy a diesel truck that needs a trip to the smog man. Call it stubborn, call ti what you want; I aint gonna do it.
Price.
This truck is going to be pointed at people who can pay cash for it, because the payment is going to be about twice what a 40k truck would be, and that was too much money. I saved up for about 5 years to pay cash for my '97 F-350, my hand shook like a leaf when I wrote that check and I don't wanna go through that again.
But that is a bitchin' truck.
can't get many good engines pre smog at this point. besides the 7.3 there's nothing else out there. I had to smog my 7.3 no problems even with banks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000