R1 motor goodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC@ Performance Fab

Jun 8, 2010
Here are a few pics of a new long runner sprint car style air cleaner assy for the R1 motors. This part will boost performance throught out the entire powerband with a emphasis on low end and mid range torque. With Rhinos weighting what they do and the motors making lots of power but little torque this is a great way to get a more driveable combo and they do look pretty cool also.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 person

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
looks good. dare i ask how much? do you think it will flex the throttle body while running the car through rough terrain? how is it sealed to the throttle body? i would assume you could put an outerware over it for sand use. what filter is used, dry?

i am interested, i hate oiling my Peter D filter and its a pita to make sure its sealed.

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
You have anything for the newer 07-08 motors that will work with the variable velocity stacks?

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Wow, those are some LOOONG runners! I can see how that would boost the low and mid a bit, but at what sacrifice on the top end?

Definitely going to need a top mount to keep that from pulling the throttle bodies off the motor.. Ive seen this setup before on minibuggy forums I think. Who makes it?

That setup is for 02-03

MC@ Performance Fab

Jun 8, 2010
Ok let me answer each question. As far as the throttle body being pulled around that has not been a issue in testing on the car pictured or on the Hayabusa powered cars. The total unit weights 5.8 lbs so its not as heavy as you might have thought. As for sealing it uses standard K&N sealing grease and filter oil, all K&N filters like a lot of oil. The picture of the unit in the car is a 02-03. The picture of the unit alone is for the 07-08 motors. I have just finished drawings for the 04thru06 motors and they will be ready in 30 days. As far as the stock velocity stacks in any year model the whole idea is to get rid of them as they are simply not whats needed. The design goal is to increase the velocity of the incoming air and by doing so make more power throught out the entire RPM range. In testing hitting the rev-limiter was much easer with this setup then the stock air box because of the increased velocity. Additional positives are the air inlets are much farther away from the heat of the engine. Much less heat soak from the engine. Wont heat soak from the sun on a hot day like the stock black plastic air box. The filter is capable of flowing many times what these motors will ever need. Now as for price you are looking at $400.00 complete with hardware and filter.

Thanks, Monte

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
I don't see how a fixed intake runner can make more power throughout the whole RPM range than a variable intake runner can, as it is adjusted throughout the range for optimum performance depending on the flow the motor needs at the specific RPM. Do you have any dyno results showing the differences with just the filter being changed in the same car??

G-

STETLER

R1-Custom - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 24, 2009
Orange, CA
LSR Greg has some very good points. Also you say the 07 and 08 is pictured in the stand alone pics???? How does tht work on a 07-08 motor if the OEM volocity stacks are eliminated? I don't see the ability to rehook up the OEM stacks that are a must for the Wiring set up (Yamaha ECU).

Don't take it the wrong way, Those stacks look DAMN NICE. I just don't see how it works on my year motor.

MC@ Performance Fab

Jun 8, 2010
Ok we will try this again--its all about VELOCITY plain and simple. All of the current crotch rocket motors make a boat load of top end horsepower, no question about that. To make the kind of top end power they do they have to sacrifice low end, once again no question about that. The variable lenght runner is a crutch to try to help get the bike get rolling in the lower rpm range so that the transition to the the top end power is shorter, by picking up the VELOCITY. Top end power is not the issue its getting to it. If the bikes had the physical room to do something within the air box like is pictured they would see a power improvement throught out the entire powerband but they dont so they do what they can within the room available.

Also removing the servo is not an issue.

MC@ Performance Fab

Jun 8, 2010
I built the headers also so thanks. When I get more time ill add a few more pictures of the car.

I am thinking of going to Glen Hellen this weekend to check out the race and will bring along a filter assy for anyone to see.

Thanks, Monte

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
You can only really tune the intake runner length to a certain engine speed. Most R1 velocity stacks fill in the dip in power at about 7000 rpm. Mostly to just make a smoother power band. If you use a really long runner, it will affect the tuning for the rest of the power band. Velocity is great, but it is not the only factor.

The 07-08 adjustable runners is a way to adjust where in the rpm range those runners affect the power. Otherwise I think Yamaha would just leave them long (since they obviously have room for them at their fully extended length. From what Ive read, they stay long until the last few thousand rpm of the powerband anyways.

There is also some that find that the R1 can benefit from uneven length runners, and that seems to stem from the outer two cylinders pulling in more air, and starving the inner two for air.

Now if longer is better, why not just put big 3 feet long runners one. Well you definitely get to a state at which you start restricting flow. Think sucking water through a 1' section of hose, and then through a 10' section of hose the same diameter. You may be able to make alot of velocity in it, but it starts to reduce flow at high flow levels.

Its all about tuning the runner length to were you want to enhance the powerband, while having sufficient velocity without choking the motor for air.

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Everyone's point is valid. For sure makes sense. If you want me to buy one, post the dyno results, alll factors being exactly the same, besides the air filter change. The proof is in the graph. If it makes more bottom end, without sacraficing lots of top end, sold!

G-

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
I would also be interested in seeing dyno results......just as Greg suggested. :)

MC@ Performance Fab

Jun 8, 2010
Guys what were talking about here isnt rocket science. All 4 stroke engines from Briggs to F1 engines respond to the same changes in the same manner. In the 90s I built intake manifolds for Nissions factory GTP team witch won four championships in a row so this isnt something new to me. Also all motors have holes in the power curve, nothing new there. As for the three foot long runner I dont have a clue how that applies but more power to ya. As for dyno time im sure cory knows I sent a unit to them to be tested. Was there two weeks and nothing happened so I had them send it back. When I got it back it was a basket case and the filter element was damaged and had to be thrown away. Needless to say I wont be dealing with them again. Now for the basic runner lengths and such check out the picture, LOOK FAMILIAR!!!!!

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#000000 vAlign=top align=left>
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000 vAlign=bottom><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#000000 vAlign=bottom>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD rowSpan=3 width=134 align=right>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="90%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]Our Products: MOTORCYCLE Applications [/FONT]<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]Model[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]*75M4/EL [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]Part Name[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]Modular Electronic Fuel Injector [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]Application[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]Motorcycle [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]Bore Size[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=arial,geneva]1-11/16" (42.86mm), 1-13/16" (46.03mm), 1-15/16" (49.21mm) [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2> [FONT=arial,geneva]If you are looking to EFI your motorcycle or motorcycle engine equipped race car, then we have the perfect option. The Hilborn Modular injector is available for numerous applications and available in different throat and mounting nipple sizes. The Modular's flexibility also allows us to provide for applications that aren’t stock, such as big bore or turbo charging. We have done hundreds of applications allowing the motorcycle racer to experience the power of a Hilborn. So let the professionals at Hilborn design a motorcycle injector or EFI Kit for you.

Why is a Hilborn better?
Since a Hilborn Injector is part of the IR (individual runner) family it does not suffer from the disruptive cylinder to cylinder pulses associated with a common plenum intake. These pulses promote fuel separation from the air carrier, the slowing of air movement in the manifold, and the inability to realize engine potential due to poor burn characteristics in the combustion chamber. The IR design of the Hilborn isolates these pulses allowing the engine to make more bottom end torque, have increased throttle response and most importantly allow the engine to accelerate faster. Most applications will also see a significant increase in top end power. These same attributes also allow smoother low speed drivability.

Besides, nothing looks better than eight stacks sitting on top of your engine. Have the best of both worlds with a Hilborn!
Proudly made in the USA!
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Ohhh....that's why that thing looked familiar!

Wow....I can't believe you went there...... Yes, you sent that unit for us to test (kind of forced it on us, actually), which we just didn't have time to do. We never used it - never installed it - it sat on our work shelf the entire time. It had already been used when we got it, so anything that happened to it had happened before you ever sent it. All we did was pack it back up and send it back to you.....when it left us it was in the EXACT same condition it was when it arrived. People on this forum who were at our shop can attest to the fact that it NEVER got used or abused. For you to accuse us of something like that is extremely unprofessional and short sighted.

Aside from THAT BS.....Why won't you show dyno results? If there are gains, they will appear on a dyno......if there aren't, that will also be obvious. I'm sure people would like to see proof of results before plunking down their $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000