put led tail lights

spit on it

Aug 26, 2011
i want to put two 6" LED trailer tail lights in place of my stock tail lights. i want to use the factory conection that disconects the tail lights . is this possable. i have been messing with it and i can get the break light to come on but i cant get the tail lights to come on when i turn on the head lights. .... . please help

spit on it

Aug 26, 2011
ill try get some pictures up. i removed the box and rear plastic that held the tail lights. i have tube work that holds the rear fenders up and welded some mounts on the rear for the 6" lights. i did this for racing but the rules say we need tail lights for next season

spit on it

Aug 26, 2011
granted im not the best at wiring but i know a little. i wired it in like the factory light and it didnt work. so i checked with another website and they told me to use a 12 volt relay and i hook it up like they said and i have great brake lights but no tail lights. i attached there wiring diagram using a relay

Attachments

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
granted im not the best at wiring but i know a little. i wired it in like the factory light and it didnt work. so i checked with another website and they told me to use a 12 volt relay and i hook it up like they said and i have great brake lights but no tail lights. i attached there wiring diagram using a relay
LED lights do not need a relay, they draw a 10th of what your stock bulb does

the trailer light ground is white not black, this is probably where your error is.

red is "brake light/turn signal"
black is running lights (tail)
white is ground

you may have a blown fuse

your relay diagram, unless the brown wire is a ground from the rzr, you have no way to energise the relay, so your +12 volt path is directly to the brake lights. you need +12 and ground on pins 85 and 86 to turn on the relay, so pin 30 can connect to 87 NO when on and 87NC when off.

Tuf-Skin

Dec 17, 2011
Oregon
the RZR uses a switchable ground on the brake lights. It is part of the start lockout system. You have to put your foot on the brake to start the engine.

So for LED brake/tail lights on a RZR you need a relay set up.

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
the RZR uses a switchable ground on the brake lights. It is part of the start lockout system. You have to put your foot on the brake to start the engine.

So for LED brake/tail lights on a RZR you need a relay set up.
well then the way he has it wired will def not work either.

BTW, I do not believe this is the case unless the rzr has four wires into the taillight. which it does not with a 3157 bulb

if you scenario was correct, the tail light would not come on either when the key was on, because there would be no ground to the bulb (which is commmon to both brake light and tail light circuits.) the only separation is the +12 volts to each element in the bulb.

the safety start switch does not determine the brake light coming on.

Tuf-Skin

Dec 17, 2011
Oregon
well then the way he has it wired will def not work either.

BTW, I do not believe this is the case unless the rzr has four wires into the taillight. which it does not with a 3157 bulb

if you scenario was correct, the tail light would not come on either when the key was on, because there would be no ground to the bulb (which is commmon to both brake light and tail light circuits.) the only separation is the +12 volts to each element in the bulb.

the safety start switch does not determine the brake light coming on.
I may not be describing it correctly.
But I know that auto mechanics have said that it is not like normal auto wiring and that for LED tail lights and brake lights you need to use a relay and get the polarity right.

justinsrex

Nov 8, 2009
Imperial Valley
I may not be describing it correctly.
But I know that auto mechanics have said that it is not like normal auto wiring and that for LED tail lights and brake lights you need to use a relay and get the polarity right.
The use of a relay is not necessary when using LED tail/brake lights on a SxS.

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
do you own a RZR?
Have you tried it on a RZR?
:)
I do. and yes polarity matters, but a relay is not required to do so. relays provide for a larger current draw then the orginal intent of the stock circuit, LEDS draw way less current.

If you don't think a two way bulb is not polarized, then think again, the ground is common to both elements, but the +12 is not. this makes it polarity sensitive as well. if you connect it incorrectly, then only one element will light in an incandescent two way bulb, because it will back feed through the other element.

07fj

Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
brown is ground on a RZR.
I believe LED are polarity sensitive, where incandescent are not.
again, look at his relay drawing, where is the ground to turn on the relay, by your own description??? he has two hots going to to 85 and 86, and only the ground going to the LED light. this is why it only works for the brake lights, pin 30 contact arm does not switch over to 87 NC,(normally closed when energized) it stays on 87 NO (normally open when off)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000