Project "X-Max", Off-Road Expedition Style - The Ultimate Adventure Duramax

We are happy to anounce a new project for NorCal Truck.

The idea behind the build:
Growing up in an environment where camping was a frequent activity and the basis for just about every family vacation, it’s only natural that it has carried over into my own family and I plan to continue this for years to come. Although loading up the wife and kids for a week-long trip to the sand dunes is always fun, I have become increasingly interested in traveling to unmarked and remote areas “off the grid”. As this interest continues to grow, I have come to the realization that the current camping set-up with a large travel trailer or toy hauler is not exactly ideal for the exploring and adventure seeking I’d like to do. This is where the idea for this build has come from – the desire to have a scaled down camping set-up that will not only get my crew and I where we want to go safely, but also be equipped to house anything and everything needed to survive in any territory we choose as our destination. Without a travel trailer or toy hauler to pack up, prepare, and pull, the ease and frequency of our adventure taking will increase and the destination possibilities are virtually endless. Whether the activity ahead involves motorcycles, UTV's, mountain bikes, boating, fishing, or hunting, the “X-Max” will be ready and rearin’ to go. Life’s short & I’m not getting any younger, so it’s about time to get out there and find out what these great United States have to offer!

Build Mission:
Create a Chevy 2500HD truck that has as many amenities as needed to survive the great outdoors, with enhancements throughout the interior, exterior, and all the way down to the suspension. Stocked with fresh clothes, food, water, and whatever extra equipment will be needed for the weekend activity ahead, once 5:00 on Friday evening rolls around, the “X-Max” will be ready to go!

Current rendering:

Here is a list of what we will be stuffing this truck with.

Exterior:
  • Cab roof rack
  • Bed shell
  • Shell roof rack
  • Roll out awning
  • Roof rack storage compartment
  • Dual spare tire mounts
  • Mounted floor jack
  • Shovel & Ax
  • Mountain bike mounts
  • Custom front and rear bumpers
  • Cab rock sliders
  • Dual Motorcycle rack
Cab Interior:
  • GPS
  • CB Radio
  • Built in WiFi
  • Dedicated satellite phone for vehicle
  • Long gun and ammo lockable storage
  • Hand gun safe
  • Fire extinguishers
Electronics:
  • Generator
  • Lights everywhere of course
  • Under body lights
  • Portable refrigerator
  • Extra truck batteries
  • On board pressure washer
  • On board Air with connections front and rear with tank
Survival Gear:
  • Recovery equipment
  • Winch front and rear
  • Fuel jugs
  • Complete first aid kit packed for every emergency
  • Fresh water tank with water pump
  • Plumbed for shower head, washing hands, food, dishes
  • Water heater
  • Propane Tanks
  • Porta potti
  • Changing room
  • Foldable table & Chairs
  • Custom storage slide-out drawers with bed top for sleeping inside shell
  • Gas stove / BBQ
  • Cooking supplies & eating utensils
  • Tool chest
Suspension, Tires & Wheels:
  • 4" lift
  • Upgraded shocks
  • Upgraded steering
  • Front and rear sway bars
  • Full leaf packs
  • Long Travel helper bags
  • Traction Bars
  • 35" Mud Terrain tires
  • 18" wheels
  • 2 full size spares
Performance:
  • Gears
  • Upgraded lockers
  • Turbo back exhaust
  • Intake
  • Tuning
  • Upgraded tranny
  • Larger fuel tank
Some product is already on its way and we should be getting started very soon on the build stages. I will be adding plenty of pictures as we make progress building this rig. This truck build is a new direction for me, and I may be missing some vital accessories or gear needed for any situation. If anyone would like to add their thoughts and/or personal experience, or if you just want to comment, please feel free!

Here is the foundation of the build in 100% stock form: 2008 Chevy 2500HD LT2 4wd Crew Cab Short Bed 6.6L Duramax Allison 6speed

If you would like to follow this build to see updates, feel free to comment or subscribe to this thread.

Thank you,
Nick

* UPDATE *

Ok so here is the first pictures of alot of the reason this build has been on my mind for awhile, I defiantly want more days and full trips like this! My son turned 4 years old on July 24th and leading up to his birthday I asked him what he wanted to do and he said "I want to ride my dirt bike!". So I took the day off work and we had a great father and son day at a OHV park, Hollister hills not far from where we live.

Sorry for so many pics, just a dad proud of his son :)

So many asked why the pressure washer, yes for the dirt bikes when we are out on larger trips or find ourselves in some muddy terrain, would be nice to have a way to wash filthy or muddy bikes off before heading home or if we need to service a bike on a long trip.

Also remember my plan is to run the dirt bikes off the back, not in the bed so getting more detailed on the build, after looking at tons of bed tops I have found these 2 manufactures to have some nice options, www.4are.com & www.accessmfg.com have from what I found to have utility style tops with optional side access and barn door set ups.

I really like the side access to be lighted up and storage like this one:

Then I am really liking slide out storage draws like these:

I am looking into sleeping tent set ups to mount on top of the bed cap so if anyone has idea's and or suggestions feel free to post links, pics or info.

Thanks!

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
As for roof top tents, there are the Tepui style and the theres the more high end like the Cascadia seen here http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.php?m=94&s=594&c=&id=118 . I like the fiberglass lid style, but you'll pay about 3x as much for one. If its not going to be used much, go with the Tepui seen here http://www.tepuitents.com/ Also get some good cross bars like the Yakima Whisper bars or Thule Dewalt rather than the normal round or square style you commonly see.

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
I dig the idea of having some LED's on top that go all the way around the truck. Can't tell you how many times I'm camping and need more then just headlights or a lantern. Looking forward to seeing this one done!

This project got put on hold due to a couple reasons, 1 I have my hands full with our SEMA trucks and 2 I am dialing in the suspension package to be used on this truck and that may change the style alittle but still staying within the concept for the most part and the 3rd reason will be announced in the next few weeks. All good stuff happening but I am 1 man and only have so much time during the day before I have my family to spend time with so I am just stretching it out and not jumping too fast because I want a very nicely built and thought out rig to use in the end.

I will add updates as I have them, this project is not dead by any means.....

Nick

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
This project got put on hold due to a couple reasons, 1 I have my hands full with our SEMA trucks and 2 I am dialing in the suspension package to be used on this truck and that may change the style alittle but still staying within the concept for the most part and the 3rd reason will be announced in the next few weeks. All good stuff happening but I am 1 man and only have so much time during the day before I have my family to spend time with so I am just stretching it out and not jumping too fast because I want a very nicely built and thought out rig to use in the end.

I will add updates as I have them, this project is not dead by any means.....

Nick
Sounds like an excuse factory to me:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000