PROJECT "SPIDER MONKEY" UNDERWAY (PICS)

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
PROJECT "SPIDER MONKEY"

Well, I thought I was far enough along to post some pics and info on the 08' Teryx I have been building for a year now. It had 48 hrs. on it when it came apart. This is not a BITD built car or anything like that I built it close to their specs but some of it is not. I built it for a weekend racer/trail rig. The main thing in my mind while building it was safty. We have some rally type races here in Missouri that I would like for my wife and I to race. She has alway's supported everything I have raced in the past and want to get her to drive as many as I do. I think that would be cool as hell! anyway, I started by tearing it apart and building new seat risers 7" from the floor pan. Then came the cage, 1 3/4 .095 dom.
Then the stock dash and all suports were removed and a new structure was fabed up and an aluminum dash/trans cover was made. I took the e brake and mounted it in the console with a lock/unlock lever so it can be used as an e brake when the lever is locked or a turning brake when unlocked. I then made the doors, 1 1/2" .095 DOM and skinned them and the roof with .065 aluminum. relocated radiator and installed fuel cell. all front square tubing from firewall forward was removed and replaced with the 1 1/2" tubing and extended forward 6". All front control arm mounting points were reinforced with 3/16" cold rolled steel. I then built the front control arms 6" over 4" forward and plated them with cold rolled 10ga. I designed the control arms to have the lower control arm recieve the shock mount instead of the top to lower the 14" shocks down and keep them under the body work. The shocks are set up to be at 90 degrees at full bump. It is now front steer.

The control arms have 5 degrees of positive caster and the spindles were built to recieve 3/4 heims in the vertical position so as not to limit wheel travel. With the misalighnment spacers installed, I still have near factory turning radius. I built my own sleaved axles and modified my cv's and have 20" of wheel travel. The question is, is all that cv joint work going to hold up, it should but,we will see. The corner weights with stock suspension still on was: LF-284# RF-339# (2 batteries mounted on right side) LR- 302# RR- 346#. pretty close to 50-50 front to rear without me in it and 1/2 tank of fuel.

The hood you see in the pics is actually 2 hoods grafted into 1, 1 foot wider than stock. It is my starting point for building the fiberglass hood. The reason I just didn't build a complete new chassis is because this thing snow plows 30 drivways with it in the winter and I just can't risk not having it back together when the snow starts to fly. anyway, it goes on and on and I will stop here. I have so much still to do, rear suspension, fiberglass body etc,etc,etc. Any comments good or bad are welcome.
Here are some pictures of it so far. More pics to come.

Attachments

Last edited:

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
Freeezen,
Thanks. Right now all it has is a clutch and ignition upgrade and that is it. I really don't know yet. I have to keep the 4WD for sure. I see all these guys that have done 840's and many of them don't seem satisfied with that power. But I know how it is, we alway's get used to new power and want more, ha ha. I will probably go that route.

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
Freeezen,
Thanks. Right now all it has is a clutch and ignition upgrade and that is it. I really don't know yet. I have to keep the 4WD for sure. I see all these guys that have done 840's and many of them don't seem satisfied with that power. But I know how it is, we alway's get used to new power and want more, ha ha. I will probably go that route.

Are there still faster machines out there sure, but all the people I know that have 840 kits love them.

jlbierig450r

Mar 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Looks good. You can tell you have a lot of time and effort into it. Hope it all works like you want it to. Thanks for sharing the pictures and build story.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Looks cool....but the rear diff is locked up so you wasted your time with the steering break thing.

747ink

Nice build . I really like the brake should work great ! are you going to put pics of the plow installed?

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
Freeezen, well that is good to know because if I could do an 840 and be happy with it , that would be awesome. I have never seen one run in person or rode in one only videos on u tube.

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
747ink. thanks for your reply. I have a cheesy video of the snow plow setup on u tube at:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3LgJLSj9M]YouTube - 08 Kawasaki Teryx set up for snow plowing[/ame]
The setup is still the same on this machiine I just had to extend both the plow and salter mounts. This is the second year I have plowed with this setup and I will tell everyone. I know they are pricey but those full hydraulic Black Line plows are the snizzel. I have never had a breakdown with any af the equipment I use to plow but I am pretty particular about having it ready to go when I head out. Nothing worse that a break down in a snow storm.

Last year I did have the plow reciever come loose, that plow is a heavy son of a gun. It now has 8 grade 8 bolts holding it on. Thanks for your reply. I will post a short vid of me plowing the shop later.

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
Joey, Thanks for the reply. Yea, I do need to get a video next snow season when I should be pretty close to done except engine upgrade. I'll tell ya what, I am a 1 man band out there plowing and I watch the radar and when the snow is ending in the county next to me, I head out. To knock out all those driveways in a timely manner, I do haul ass. That pour Teryx gets the sh%t ran out of it and it just says " well come on, lets get to the next one". I am real impressed with that little machine. I tow that thing on a car hauler in sub zero temps and when I get there, it alway's starts right up. God bless little Spider Monkey! I'm trying to upload a video of it plowing with this setup when it was stock but it doesn't want to load!:mad:

Attachments

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
Well after a test run of the front cv's, the cv's held up fine at 1 1/2" beyond full droop but the left boot at the dif. gave up. I ran it at a mid rpm for about 10 min. I always say " if your going to test something test it beyond what it will see" I am thinking since for 1, it will not see that angle and at that extended period of time, I will just replace the boot and do a boot test at "real" full droop. The picture shows what angle the test was done on.

Attachments

joshuabuilt

Jan 30, 2011
san diego
747ink. thanks for your reply. I have a cheesy video of the snow plow setup on u tube at:
YouTube - 08 Kawasaki Teryx set up for snow plowing
The setup is still the same on this machiine I just had to extend both the plow and salter mounts. This is the second year I have plowed with this setup and I will tell everyone. I know they are pricey but those full hydraulic Black Line plows are the snizzel. I have never had a breakdown with any af the equipment I use to plow but I am pretty particular about having it ready to go when I head out. Nothing worse that a break down in a snow storm.

Last year I did have the plow reciever come loose, that plow is a heavy son of a gun. It now has 8 grade 8 bolts holding it on. Thanks for your reply. I will post a short vid of me plowing the shop later.
not into the snow at all but that thing is really cean, like the jumper post thats a great idea, good job on build

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
Well, I thought I would drag my rear suspension thread over here and add it to the build thread.

I have the rear trailing arm suspension designed, built and installed. Still some finish work to do on the frame C notches & enclosures under the seats. My shocks will be here this week and I will get them installed. Will have 20" of wheel travel, same as the front. here are a few pics.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Attachments

joshuabuilt

Jan 30, 2011
san diego
Well, I thought I would drag my rear suspension thread over here and add it to the build thread.

I have the rear trailing arm suspension designed, built and installed. Still some finish work to do on the frame C notches & enclosures under the seats. My shocks will be here this week and I will get them installed. Will have 20" of wheel travel, same as the front. here are a few pics.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
20"? what model is that, I just bought a commander and am deciding what kit to go with. ...Looks sweet!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000